Rushing Wonders

American Prez

Chieftain
I find very frequently that just when I’m about to complete a Wonder, some other civilization does. Any strategy suggestions for beating the AI? Also I’ve been playing for over a week and have only once received a leader. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

At the beginning of the game, your first city gets a free Worker. Set that Worker to do nothing but build roads AND MINES around your first city. :) It feels very "Not Civ 2," but it's extremely worthwhile to mine plains and grassland squares around cities with low corruption. Of course, I also build roads to other cities when a city is already mining as many squares as its population can support.

I tend to build a first military unit, a temple (I use Religious civs), and perhaps some settlers, then switch over to Pyramids when it seems appropriate. :egypt: The Temple keeps happiness up so that the city can devote its full effort to producing the Wonders. I also tend to create 2 more military units in nearby cities and ferry them over to keep happiness high in my Wonder-building city. Following this strategy (in Warlord, mind you), I've gotten the Pyramids every time.

Depends on the difficulty level. On Monarch and above, I find it pointless to build any early wonders. The benefits are small and it is rare that I can complete one before the computer players.

The computer builds wonders very fast on Monarch level. I think the way it does it, is to start one wonder then switch to a bigger better wonder when that technology is enabled. A good strategy for wonders that you really want to have, while skipping lower level wonders. Even using this it is very rare that I can complete an early wonder. It is easier to go capture them from enemy cities.

On the lower difficulties, build roads and mines all around the wonder producing city (usually the capital). Do so, only after the first batch of cities is settled (I suggest six or seven). Otherwise the wonder will be completed, but expansion is too slow.

Monarchy or Republic can help a great deal as these governments allow better production from mines in the hills and mountains and irrigated grasslands. Mines on grass, especially shield grass are good for Despotism.

The programmers did a good job preventing the rushing of wonders. You can not rush build other units or buildings and then switch to a wonder. You can not clear forest and then switch to a wonder. You can not disband units for shields and then switch to a wonder. You can not use a leader to rush build something and then switch.

Thanks. Normally I get to Pyramids first as well--sometimes even get the Colussus to boot. But my big problem comes with the Great Library and the string of medieval Wonders that pop up shortly thereafter. I alway pick the literacy branch on the tech tree and usually get there first. I can only think the AI opponents are using leaders. Any suggestions anyone has on getting them more often would be welcomed.

I'll focus harder on building more mines early on, just to see what happens.

There *IS* a way to rush wonders. Set workers on a square. Have them build forest. Then have them clear forest. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It ain't like the caravans from Civ 2, but it helps.

Originally posted by Flavor Dave
There *IS* a way to rush wonders. Set workers on a square. Have them build forest. Then have them clear forest. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It ain't like the caravans from Civ 2, but it helps.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Shield bonus from tree cutting is not added to the wonder production. Also, a tile can only be cleared once for the shield bonus.

I'll state the obvious first....Only elite units generate a leader. So, try to build all attack units in cities with baracks to make veteran units and use them to generate elite units quicker. Once you have elite units keep them near the front lines and use them in battles you know you have a good chance to win, or use less experinenced units to wear enemy units down to get the victory with your elite units.

Bottom line: use elite units in the best chances you have for victory.

It was always hard to generate a leader when I wasn't planing it. I get some every game now :king:

P.S. Save your leaders for Wonders you really want.

Hope that helps

I am playing with the patch (1.16f), and none of the tips about forests, or leaders are viable options. Believe me, I have tried them. Maybe these techniques worked on the older version, but do not work with the patch.

To repeat, I have found no way to rush wonders. Disbanding units, cutting down forests, rushing a normal project and then switching, using a leader, none of these work for wonders or the Forbidden City in version 1.16f. They do work for making a new palace, but once anything is rush built, I can not switch production to a wonder or Forbidden City.

Hey there Bill

Looks like your havin wonder problems there. :)

First things first there is no reliable way to rush wonders
other then the tactic to get leaders and burn those as Bcask
described. Leaders are things you should value and horde
if you get one when you are building a non consequential
wonder save it for something more important during ancient
times like the Great library or the Pyramids.

A couple of tips always build it in the city which has the highest
population and the highest shield output this will usually be your
capital city depending on what starting terrain you get. the ideal
being at least 2- 3 hills and at most 1 mountain mountains are great for commerce and shields but suck at food you need to keep that population growing. which is why i tend to build two
settlers at most with my capital city then leave it to the others to
go grab some iron or horses if I can find them.

Once you have 3 cities this is where the fun begins road all your stuff and mine the living hell out of everything you can which doesn't take away food from your population. You can always change the mine to irrigation later if need be. I have never had to. Chagne your capitol city which should be about pop 5 or 6 and just build your first wonder more often then not you will win. As I said in an earlier post you have to figure out which wonders you want and just hit the ground running to them ASAP!! Remember found your first cities with this goal in mind. Don't forget that some of the wonders like the colosuss and the Great light house have to be built in a city with a coast square in it.

what difficulty level are you playing at by the way it gets much harder after the middle difficulty because the computer almost mimics your research list. So you have to get your goal in mind and not be distracted unless you now some bastard declares war then its on. Hope this helps alittle

I've been playing at the middle levels--never diety. I'm going to try the strategy of pro-actively going for leaders and see what happens.

Top Bottom