Russia is hot, Arabia is cold

qadams

Bohemian
In the current game I'm playing, Russia is located next to a big hot desert, while their neighbor, Arabia, got a cold start near tundra. Shouldn't that be reversed? I don't understand why it would happen that way...

Russia.jpg

Arabia.jpg

Starting positions, I believe, are set with a bias or preference for certain terrain. However, that still leaves room for some randomness. Play enough games and you’ll get situations like this.

why does your game look weird? What mod is that?

why does your game look weird? What mod is that?
Weird? What do you mean? (Those lines in the ocean are just an artifact of saving my screenshot as PNG and then exporting it as JPG.)

EDIT: Oh, now that I think about it, what you probably are seeing is the result of the Alternative Fog of War mod.

I've had this happen many times too where Russia starts in a desert and Arabia starting in the snow and tundra (in both instances it seems to be when I'm playing as either!)

In the current game I'm playing, Russia is located next to a big hot desert, while their neighbor, Arabia, got a cold start near tundra. Shouldn't that be reversed? I don't understand why it would happen that way...
As defined in \steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\Civilizations.xml:
Russia has a mild tundra bias (compared eg. with Nubia towards desert).
Arabia has no terrain bias at all.
You can change <StartBiasTerrains> to your likings.

Bias means higher probability. The nature of randomness dictates, that even VERY improbable results must happen ... (for example loosing two 2:1 battles in a row against an AIplayer :eek: ...) :D

Now as a child I had once really such an experience: I threw a coin onto a table for a decision. The coin just somersaulted several times, rolled over the table against the wall, bounced back and stopped nearly in the middle of the table.

As defined in \steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\Civilizations.xml:
Russia has a mild tundra bias (compared eg. with Nubia towards desert).
Arabia has no terrain bias at all.
You can change <StartBiasTerrains> to your likings.

Bias means higher probability. The nature of randomness dictates, that even VERY improbable results must happen ... (for example loosing two 2:1 battles in a row against an AIplayer :eek: ...) :D
Thanks for the feedback! It seems odd that Arabia would have no bias at all. I'm pretty sure in Civ5 they had a desert bias, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Thanks for the feedback! It seems odd that Arabia would have no bias at all. I'm pretty sure in Civ5 they had a desert bias, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Civ 6's civs have a lot less biases than Civ 5 civs did.

Saladin/Arabia has no reason to have a Desert bias as they don't gain any benefits from being on Desert, unlike Civ 5's Arabia, which I think has a bit of benefits from Desert tiles/cities.

Top Bottom