S3rgeus's SiegeMod

S3rgeus

Emperor

This is a beta release of SiegeMod, an entirely original scenario that uses new unique content and mechanics! This mod is in beta, so there are some small content additions still pending, but everything should be fairly stable. This mod requires BNW.

Download here

Summary
Svesta is cornered, isolated on its continent south of Argastinium and on the verge of a war that will surely end in its destruction. Svesta's only saving grace are its trade routes. Argast, Argastinium's leader and namesake, is reluctant to sack the city and lose such profitable trade connections. But these trade routes are not without risk; Svesta is embroiled in a lengthy naval war with its former ally, the Numydian Federation.

Meanwhile, the Cyats, an eclectic civilization of religious fanatics, have emerged onto the world stage. Their foreign religion grants strange and powerful boons to those that follow it. Argastinium, in an attempt to quash the Cyats' influence, have already declared war against them.

You, the player, must take control of Svesta at this pivotal moment in its history. Argast has given Svesta an ultimatum. Pay him for freedom or be consumed like the other cities he has absorbed into his empire. Defend your trade routes from Numydian aggressors and halt the creeping advance of the Cyat religion in your city.

Objectives
So what exactly do you need to do? As the player, you're militarily outmatched by your greatest potential enemy. You need to accumulate a specific amount of gold (currently 5000, subject to change, and will vary by difficulty in the final release) before Argast decides he's had enough of you and kills you. The Numydians will attack your ships and plunder your trade routes. If your worth to Argast (number of trade routes you have with him) falls too low, he will attack you early.

Then there's the Cyat religion. The Cyats capture cities they obtain religious influence over, so you've got to keep them out!

Civilizations
This scenario adds four new civilizations, which each have powerful unique attributes.

Svesta:
Spoiler :
Unique Ability: Mercantile Pedagogy
  • +10:c5gold: per trade partner
  • May purchase faith units with gold.
  • War may not be declared between Svesta and any civilization Svesta has founded 4 or more trade routes with.
Unique Unit: Galleon Fleet
  • More powerful than the Frigate, which it replaces
  • Starts with supply, targeting I, and targeting II promotions
Unique Building: Fortified Quay
  • Replaces the Harbor
  • +2:c5food: from international trade routes originating in this city.

Argastinium:
Spoiler :
Unique Ability: All Encompassing
  • All siege units have +2:c5rangedstrength: and indirect fire
  • Whenever Argastinium trains a military unit, a second unit of the same type appears in the city.
Unique Unit: Raiders
  • Stronger than the Spearman, which it replaces
  • Units which end their turn adjacent to Raiders take 10 damage.
Unique Building: Slave Market
  • Replaces the Barracks
  • Units are produced in half normal time in this city.
  • Units produced in this city suffer a 15%:c5strength: penalty.

Numydia:
Spoiler :
Unique Ability: Insurgency
  • Other civilizations cannot declare war on Numydia.
  • Numydian units spawn as rebels in any civilization currently at war with Numydia.
Unique Unit: Conscripted Raker
  • Stronger than the Galleass, which it replaces.
  • When a Conscripted Raker plunders a trade route, a new Conscripted Raker is spawned nearby.
Unique Unit: Sloop
  • Weaker than the Trireme, which it replaces.
  • Much higher movement range than Trireme.

The Cyats:
Spoiler :
Unique Ability: Righteous Way
  • +2:c5faith: from desert tiles.
  • Any foreign city, whose owner is not at war with the Cyats, where the Cyat religion is the majority, is captured by the Cyats after 5 turns.
Unique Unit: Preacher
  • Replaces the Missionary.
  • Double conversion strength.
  • Reduced movement.
  • Unaffected by attrition
Unique Unit: Devout
  • Replaces the Spearman.
  • Whenever a Devout kills an enemy, a Cyat Preacher spawns nearby.

Map
This scenario takes place on a hand-crafted custom map! Screenshots provided. This also gives you an idea of Svesta's position and how, as the player, you're going to circumvent Argastinium's superior position!

Spoiler :

Technologies
This scenario has an entirely new (reduced size) tech tree with some interesting new technology effects. It's a similar approach to the Civil War scenario from BNW.

Here's a screenshot of the new tech tree:
Spoiler :

And descriptions of each tech:
Spoiler :
Mercantilism:
  • Can establish an additional 2 trade routes.
  • Trade routes have +70% range.
Consecration:
  • Can establish an additional trade route.
  • Foreign religions exert 15% less pressure in your cities.
Naval Formations:
  • Unlocks the Harbor.
  • Unlocks the Frigate and Galleon Fleet.
Theorical Study:
  • Unlocks Theors' Academy.
  • Boosts the range of naval trade routes.
Grand Inquisition:
  • Unlocks purchasing Inquisitors.
  • Unlocks Inquisition Chapterhouse.
Black Powder:
  • Unlocks Powder Keg Trap improvement.
Clockworks:
  • Unlocks Clockwork Magnolia wonder.
  • Can establish an additional 2 trade routes.
Transcendence:
  • Foreign religions exert no pressure in your cities.
  • Your religion exerts 100% more pressure in foreign cities.

The AI can research these new technologies too, so their effects will also be used against you!

Buildings
In addition to the unique buildings described in the Civilizations section, this mod includes several new buildings that can be built by any Civilization.

Spoiler :
Pier:
  • Weaker version of Harbor
  • Establishes water connections to capital.
Inquisition Chapterhouse:
  • +2:c5faith: in this city.
  • This city's majority religion exerts 30% extra pressure in this city.
Mercenary Holdfast:
  • Cost of purchasing units in this city reduced by 50%.
Theors' Academy:
  • +1:c5faith: and +2:c5science: from trade routes originating in this city.
  • +50%:c5science: in this city.
Clockwork Magnolia:
  • Wonder.
  • All wars you are participating in are ended upon its construction.
  • +2:c5gold: from all trade routes originating in this city.

Special Thanks
And here I need to thank several other modders whose mods/tools have made making SiegeMod so much easier/more efficient!

Whoward69:
Irkalla:
Pazyryk:
Tomatekh:
Deliverator:

Artwork Requests

I've done a fair amount of artwork for this mod, and much of that has been possible thanks to amazing tutorials here on CivFanatics! I'm planning to do more, but some things are still out of my reach for now. There are nine pieces of artwork that would be amazing if any of the skilled artists here on CivFanatics could help out with!

Leader Icons and Diplo Screens:
  • Tvet Carolinus of Svesta - Think along the lines of Enrico Dandolo, an aging merchant who's been promoted to the head of his nation.
  • Argast the Conqueror - Think Genghis Khan or Attila the Hun, a warrior who feels he has earned the right to rule over his people through successful military conquest.
  • Ocirrus Allustrous - Prophet and leader of the Cyats, a young, charismatic man that draws people to his cause. An aura of mystery (however one imbues that into an icon) would be great; not much is known about him!
  • Imsharad Yughal - A shrewd negotiator who has maneuvered his city-state to be the capital and effective ruling body of its Federation, he's getting on in years but by no means decrepit yet.

Dawn of Man Screen:
This is the biggest ask of the five pieces of artwork I most need help with. I've made a couple of attempts to turn the Civ5 map into a stylized map to use here, but with little success. Without a proper political map to start from (trying to follow sukritact's cartography) it's been tough going. There are of course no political maps because the places in the scenario don't actually exist! This piece would probably tie in well with Tvet's diplo screen since the leaders are usually featured on the DoM screen.

Project Progress
The bulk of what you see described above has already been implemented. There's a decent amount of DLL modification, and anyone who's curious about how I implemented anything can check out the Github repository for this DLL (and any others I'm working on, just switch branches to see Custom Missions, Custom Notifications, and my Wheel of Time mod.) For non-DLL-side implementation, see the SiegeMod repository.

I've tried to keep scenario-specific things on the Lua and XML side of the mod, with DLL modifications being generic changes that I can port usefully to other mods. (For example, I added support for several new DB tables, which all do what you'd expect from their names: Building_TradeRouteYieldChanges, Trait_TerrainYieldChanges, Unit_FreeUnitWhenTradeRoutePlundered, and more.)

Artwork, bug fixes, and balancing are the priorities moving forward.

Version History

V1.5 Changelog
Spoiler :
  • Fixed a bug where America's icon was used in the notification about Numydia's expansion
  • Fixed a bug where Powder Keg Trap didn't require the Black Powder tech
  • The turn limit on the scenario is now displayed to the player!
  • Fixed a map error where a plot owned by Svesta had both a plantation and a jungle on it.
  • Reduced the number of units Svesta starts with.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed Argast to found a pantheon.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to hang when the player accrued a winning amount of gold in normal turn rollover income.

BETA RELEASE
V1.4 Changelog
Spoiler :
  • Exposed difficulty selection in scenario load screen and resized for custom display
  • Difficulty selection now scales scenario events (amount of money needed to win, number of enemy units, etc.)
  • Fixed a crash caused when a unit stepped on a Powder Keg Trap
  • Added a notification and messages for Powder Keg Traps that makes their functions and activation more apparent to the player.
  • Added all remaining unit icons.
  • 3D artwork! Terrain graphics for Powder Keg Trap, reskinned Missionary for Preacher.

V1.3.1 Changelog
Spoiler :
  • Fixed a bug (introduced in v1.3) that prevented Argast from declaring war on the player
  • Fixed a bug where Argast's raiders and Cyats' Devout were weaker than they should have been.

V1.3 Changelog
Spoiler :
  • Modularized victory system
  • Fixed victory display/reference for SiegeMod victory type
  • Added placeholder DoM screen
  • Added UI message for adjacent damage caused by Argast's raiders
  • Added unit flag art for all SiegeMod units
  • Fixed a bug where Argast would declare war on you if your expired trade routes dropped below the required at the beginning of your turn. (Eg. when trade routes ended and were waiting for you to reassign them.)
  • Fixed a (base game) bug where Argast would precede his denunciation of the player with an unrelated trade comment.
  • Fixed a map error, one of Argast's cities was starting with population 1, when it should have been higher.
  • Blocked war between the player and the Cyats, since that negated the Cyats' ability.

V1.2 Changelog
Spoiler :
  • Added remaining tech icons
  • Fixed a bug where Galleon fleet icon wasn't used in notifications
  • Removed obsoletetechs from units that referred to non-SiegeMod techs
  • Fixed a bug that caused Svesta's ability to block war with 1 trade route instead of 4
  • Added the Sloop unit, second unique for Numydia
  • Resized panels on scenario setup screen so that Svesta UA displays properly
  • Shortened Svestan DoM so it fits on the DoM screen properly

V1.1 Changelog
Spoiler :

• Flavors! Units and Buildings now all have AI flavors.
  • Text updates: quotes and help text for technologies
  • Fixed era art prefix and city attack animation using early-game animations.
  • Added icon for Transcendence and Consecration techs
  • Plot tooltips no longer refer to old techs
  • Galleon fleets and Conscripted Rakers can no longer melee as well as ranged attack
  • Unit icon added for galleon fleet

V1.0
Spoiler :
Initial Alpha

Known Bugs
The following is a list of all the bugs I'm aware of in this build of the mod. If you find any more or have insight on how to fix any of these, then please post in this topic!

• ‘you founded a pantheon’ notification has no message/tooltip
• Many rivers don’t properly join bodies of water at the ends of them
• AI plays a turn at the beginning of the game (before the player)
• Graphical (color) glitch where Powder Keg Traps overlap with rivers

Unimplemented Features
The following is a list of planned tasks that I've yet to have time/skill to implement as a part of the current build of this mod.

• All leaders need icons and diplo screens

Attachments

• SiegeModLogoTransparency.png
    SiegeModLogoTransparency.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 4,930
  • Svesta Turn 1.jpg
    Svesta Turn 1.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 2,928
  • Tech Tree.jpg
    Tech Tree.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 379
  • Tech Tree Final.jpg
    Tech Tree Final.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 2,838
This looks really cool. I will be trying this out! Good work thus far and good luck in the future.

This looks really cool. I will be trying this out! Good work thus far and good luck in the future.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it. :D

I've just uploaded an update to V1.1, mostly simple changes to knock out some of the low-hanging fruit in the Known Bugs section. This shouldn't affect any existing saved games, so feel free to download it even if you've already started the scenario. I've also updated the original post with these changes and I'll keep an updated version history on there too.

Here's all the changes:
V1.1 Changelog
  • Flavors! Units and Buildings now all have AI flavors.
  • Text updates: quotes and help text for technologies
  • Fixed era art prefix and city attack animation using early-game animations.
  • Added icon for Transcendence and Consecration techs
  • Plot tooltips no longer refer to old techs
  • Galleon fleets and Conscripted Rakers can no longer melee as well as ranged attack
  • Unit icon added for galleon fleet

All right, I had a few hours today to work on some stuff to make SiegeMod a bit more polished looking. Today I'm releasing V1.2. Note: this version makes changes to the map file for the scenario (adds and subtracts some starting units), and I'm not sure how that affects savegames. I believe the map is saved with the game, in which case you shouldn't need to worry about resuming existing scenario runs with this version. But can anyone confirm 100% that that's the case?

First post updated with these changes!

V1.2 Changelog
  • Added remaining tech icons
  • Fixed a bug where Galleon fleet icon wasn't used in notifications
  • Removed obsoletetechs from units that referred to non-SiegeMod techs
  • Fixed a bug that caused Svesta's ability to block war with 1 trade route instead of 4
  • Added the Sloop unit, second unique for Numydia
  • Resized panels on scenario setup screen so that Svesta UA displays properly
  • Shortened Svestan DoM so it fits on the DoM screen properly.

EDIT: Hold off on downloading this version just this second. I've realized I forgot to turn optimization back on when building the DLL. Will upload corrected version within a few minutes.

EDIT 2: All right, corrected version uploaded! Enjoy! :D

Here we go, I've had the chance to dig into some more of the bugs that were affecting this scenario. The big one, the Powder Keg Trap crash, is still unsolved, but I've fixed a lot of other useful things. Also, I dunno who else has ever opened EndGameMenu.lua, but, holy crap, what is going on with that file? Anyway, the upshot of my rewrite of that is SiegeMod's "Mercantile" victory now looks like a proper victory condition!

I've updated the first post with details from this version. Again, this shouldn't affect save games, so feel free to download it for in-progress games.

V1.3 Changelog
  • Modularized victory system
  • Fixed victory display/reference for SiegeMod victory type
  • Added placeholder DoM screen
  • Added UI message for adjacent damage caused by Argast's raiders
  • Added unit flag art for all SiegeMod units
  • Fixed a bug where Argast would declare war on you if your expired trade routes dropped below the required at the beginning of your turn. (i.e. when trade routes ended and were waiting for you to reassign them.)
  • Fixed a (base game) bug where Argast would precede his denunciation of the player with an unrelated trade comment.
  • Fixed a map error, one of Argast's cities was starting with population 1, when it should have been higher.
  • Blocked war between the player and the Cyats, since that negated the Cyats' ability.

outstanding!

Thanks! :D

Quick update here, I'm releasing a bug fix, V1.3.1, which fixes a rather significant bug introduced in V1.3. I've updated the file download and will update the first post now. Anyone who's downloaded V1.3 please download V1.3.1 and use it instead!

V1.3.1 Changelog
  • Fixed a bug (introduced in v1.3) that prevented Argast from declaring war on the player
  • Fixed a bug where Argast's raiders and Cyats' Devout were weaker than they should have been.

All right, finally pinned down the Powder Keg Trap crash (I think)! So, here's V1.4, the first beta release of SiegeMod! Changelog below, I think this scenario is definitely on its way to being a "complete" product, but I've still got some balancing to do. Which requires people to playtest and give feedback, so if you try SiegeMod out, please post your thoughts! Even if nothing goes wrong (no bugs/crashes), I'd be glad to hear more general feedback.

V1.4 Changelog
  • Exposed difficulty selection in scenario load screen and resized for custom display
  • Difficulty selection now scales scenario events (amount of money needed to win, number of enemy units, etc.)
  • Fixed a crash caused when a unit stepped on a Powder Keg Trap
  • Added a notification and messages for Powder Keg Traps that makes their functions and activation more apparent to the player.
  • Added all remaining unit icons.
  • 3D artwork! Terrain graphics for Powder Keg Trap, reskinned Missionary for Preacher.

This update *should* be compatible with older saved games, but I can't say that with 100% certainty given some of the changes I've made.

Selecting a difficulty now scales SiegeMod's requirements as well as doing the normal AI bonuses/player penalties built into CiV. (For example, you need more gold to win on higher difficulties, less on lower ones. Prince difficulty has the same settings as the SiegeMod alpha.)

Bug fixes galore in this next update! I did some playing through the scenario and discovered a few small things (and one quite big thing) that needed changing. I think this update should be compatible with existing saves, but that hinges on whether changing the map affects save games. (I should test that so I can stop worrying about it.)

This update also includes a balance change. Playing on Prince, I found that I had way too many ships. I could bowl Numydia's navy over no problem, and that wasn't the idea of the scenario (even on Prince). I've decreased the number of ships Svesta starts the game with (particularly reducing the number of Galleon Fleets, since they are quite powerful compared to Numydian ships, and this should hopefully encourage players to tech to Naval Formations to unlock building them.)

Later updates may introduce variations in the number of ships Svesta (and land units) starts with depending on difficulty, but for now you'll always have the same ships at the start of the game.

V1.5 Changelog

• Fixed a bug where America's icon was used in the notification about Numydia's expansion
  • Fixed a bug where Powder Keg Trap didn't require the Black Powder tech
  • The turn limit on the scenario is now displayed to the player!
  • Fixed a map error where a plot owned by Svesta had both a plantation and a jungle on it.
  • Reduced the number of units Svesta starts with.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed Argast to found a pantheon.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to hang when the player accrued a winning amount of gold in normal turn rollover income.

looks great, now I must find the time to test it :D

I've just uploaded a new version of SiegeMod, updated for the Fall Patch. I did a quick check to make sure it didn't crash on load or anything like that (trade routes yields all seem all right, there were some merge conflicts there), but let me know if anything more obtuse goes wrong. Anyone who has been updated to the Fall Patch (which should be everyone) will need to download this update to continue using SiegeMod!

No new version number this time (nothing different to tag on the non-DLL-side).

looks great, now I must find the time to test it :D

Thanks! :D

Top Bottom