Safedisc error when trying to run PTW on WIn XP

Hawkster

sorcerer
Sorry if this has been asked before (and I suppose it should be in the tech info forum but more people visit this forum :) ) - I've searched the forums but can't seem to find anything (unless someone knows better...)

Anyway the problem is whenever I try to run PTW on a laptop running win XP I get a safedisc splash screen and a message asking for the cd to be inserted - which I do but it just repeats the message - I've just bought PTW and installed the patch but still no joy. The Cd drive is a combo DVD-ROM / CD-Rewriter which may be the problem - anyone come across this ?

GRRRRRrrr

Teach me to be soo quick at posting - more searching found several references which may be useful - I'll go try them - this post can be deleted - to save me from looking silly!!!!!

{slinks off into corner and hides}

:nono: :nono: :nono:

And the Lt. M. didn't even beat me to it :spank:

It's a most annoying problem, though, when legally purchased CD's don't even work on modern players. The music industry is doing the same lame things. SONY (co-inventor of the CD with Philips) nowadays even brings out music CD's that aren't even worthy of the Compact Disc logo because they are messed up so bad. :rant:

I know what you mean abuot the technical help thread, hardly no one goes out there. But have you tried reinstalling CIv and PTW? try that first. Some others have had problems like that where the PC says "insert cd" and it's already in. Somthing in your INI or civ configuration files is pointing to another drive. If reinstalling doesn't work install from the 'other' drive and try playing (if you are now trying with your CD/RW drive try installing and playing on your DVD drive) or the other way around, this SHOULD fix it.

Mercade! What do you think about me? I do not slink around online all day and night trying to find newbies and other lost posters to berate them! I slept 4 hours and played Civ3 for 12 yesterday! ;)

Seriously, this problem can often not be solved (especially when you have a combined DVD/CD drive). If nothing else helps, contact Firaxis with proof of purchase and they will probably be happy to supply you with a no-CD patch.

Originally posted by Hawkster
Teach me to be soo quick at posting - more searching found several references which may be useful - I'll go try them - this post can be deleted - to save me from looking silly!!!!!

{slinks off into corner and hides}

Run a search before posting. That's the easiest way to make sure you don't double post. The rules dictate that you should do that, check over a few days, but I don't do that. Then again, I don't post too many new threads...

I have to second Mercade in his thoughts.

:crazyeye:

Yeah I ran several searches but didn't get the answer I was looking for...the search term has to be very sepcific sometimes to get exactly the right threads.......especially when the search only allows 4 letter words or more so searching under CD doesn't work. The follow up I posted did say I goofed and the thread could be deleted.

Still I did find the answer (the Win XP security patch update in case anyone is remotely interested)

Top Bottom