Same Victory?

wazzzuup

track $tar
I always ending up winning a cultural or a diplomatic victory(I'm a pacifist ;)), sometimes i try to go for a conquest but i aways early rush and end up settling down for a peaceful victory. Does this ever happen to you guys like with a conquest victory or something else like that?

I find Culture the easiest victory type and conquest/domination the most difficult. But deliberately going after victories of different types has improved my game a lot.

This certainly depends on level/settings. The last game I finished was a space race victory; when I started playing Civ IV on Noble 2,5 years ago, I usually went for space (because that's what I had done in Civ II). Moving up the levels my games on Monarch usually ended with domination, because I found everything else difficult or tedious. Once you are ahead you can often finish with cavalry in the 1700s or so instead of teching all the way through, or maybe a little later with artillery and infantry. Modern wars when the AI has kept up are tedious, too, of course.
In the last game (Pacal, Emperor/BtS) I way solidly ahead in tech and especially power after having killed one and vassalled another civ, so I tried for space and it was fairly easy. Although Izzy invaded two turns before the space ship arrived and took a minor coastal city, because my military was concentrated on the other end of the continent.

I should really try for cultural victory again.
I did several a long time ago playing vanilla on prince level or so and maybe once as monarch. The problem for me is that often one has to fight at least one war anyway. Early rush I cannot pull off on Emperor, except maybe with a strong UU, so its either in the late BCs/early ADs with catapults and support or with cuirs around 1200-1300. In the latter case everything is focussed on winning Lib etc., so I don't have time to get all the culture buildings up in time. And often one has the advantage of cuirassiers or cavalry and cannons for considerable time, so it seems a waste not to go for domination anyway.

I generally vary my victories as much as possible, it keeps the game interesting. If I've had a couple domination games then I will go out of my way to try space or diplomatic or something. After a time I will notice that it's been a long while since I went culture and I will go that route.

I almost always aim to conquer my starting landmass, then if that's not enough for domination, go for space.

I turn all victories on and just play as I normally do. Before I get to the Industrial Era it's obvious which victory is achievable and so I go for that one.

Whenever I go for conquest, I usually end up with domination. I never have any trouble getting a cultural or a space.

I have very few diplomatic wins - easily my weak point. (I currently play at prince.)

My default is domination. Occasionally I get a diplomatic win before I hit the domination limit. ("diplomation"). My first Monarch game I ended up going cultural because after a certain point, all the independent civilizations were Hindu (including mine) and I felt that if I declared on any one of them, I'd shortly be dogpiled and my empire was spread out so that I couldn't defend against all comers. Looking back on it, I probably could have gotten a diplomatic win if I'd gifted a city to an AI who was borderline between voting for me or the #2 AI for victory.

Like Lennier, I get a lot of diplomation victories. I usually rush if viable and then wait for cannons. This is on normal or smaller maps. On a huge map this gets to be a colossal pain and I sually go for space. I'm always nervous about culture. I figure that after I turn the research off and others get ahead of me I'll get a surprise DOW. I think I've won maybe 2 culture games and that was when I went for it deliberately. I never default to culture.

I play huge maps; I occasionally get the diplomation victory rather than straight domination. Like ~20% of my games. Usually I get domination before the UN gets built. I did once get an AP diplomation win.

Top Bottom