Scenario: Extreme Ice Age 2: the United States of Alaska

SirRealSurreal

Chieftain
Hello Everyone, after a busy month I'm back for round two of playthrough series under a scenario I made up and am calling extreme Ice Age. Basically, the idea is to play in a giant, frozen hellscape, with AI opponents that have some advantage or trait that might be helpful in such a world. Its interesting to watch how the AI reacts to the scarcity of resources and workable land, as I've learned they adapt surprisingly well. Should anyone else want to give t a try (would recommend) or are just curious, there are two main scenario rules:
1. Use Ice age map, and to make things even colder set temperature to cool.
2. Starting area must include visible snow tiles; it kinda ruins the point if you luck into an equatorial start.

I've done a couple games already on the previous main VP version, including one for which I did a playthrough with the Inca on emperor: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/scenario-extreme-ice-age.660103/#post-15820894

My goal is to play a few more and make a short series of these, hopefully with a win of each type. With each game I'll remove a couple of the lowest performing civs and replace them with other potentially strong ones. I'm open to ideas for who to include next, though if a civ does even mediocre I err on side of keeping them, mainly for comparisons sake. So, we'll see how many games that takes...I have the hang enough (I hope) by now to try going up to immortal (my usual difficulty).

As for this game, no other mods besides VP. The settings are as follows:

Map settings
Size: Huge; Type: Ice age; Temperature: cold; Landmass: Wide Continents; other settings at defaults.

12 civilizations: America (me), Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Inca, Netherlands, Polynesia, Portugal, Egypt, France, Celts, and Morocco; 24 city states. I'll try to explain the choices in more detail little later.

Non-default game settings:
-Starting bias disabled (recommended in general if any of the AI have "avoid tundra" or such).
-barbarian GG points allowed; this isn’t scenario specific per se, but is just a setting I always prefer, and am baffled as to why it isn’t a default. It’s such a random and purposeless restriction that takes away tactically and entertainment-wise from early game... but I digress...

Just doing the intro/explanation for now but ill have more soon.

So I spoke too soon. My game has had two game breaking bugs so far, one I was able to get around by going back a few turns and the other I have not. I also learned that what Iassumed was a changed feature regarding Morocco's kasbahs being available almost everywhere is in fact a bug (makes sense, I just assumed it was intentional in the newer versions since I've seen it on both the "stable" and a beta version.); this is important because Morocco in this game was snowballing in the most extreme case I might have ever seen personally. Also, the AI is dumber than the old stable version in ways that really exacerbate themselves on the Ice age map. I'm abandoning this game and I'm gonna try out the newest beta to see if its significantly less stable and/or improved at least someone back to before. After a game or two I'll decide whether to do beta or non-beta version for the remainder of this series, and whether I feel like doing America again after half a wasted game lol. So, you know, hitting pause on this.

Top Bottom