Science Discussion: Updated priorities

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
As of the 110 BC save, we're due to get Polytheism in 8 turns. The previous poll indicated that we should research up to Monarchy. A lot has happened since the previous discussion and poll, so to keep things current, here are our options for the next thing to research.

• Stay the course and stick with Monarchy
  • Currency
  • Construction
  • Republic

There are two fundamental options here. We can go for a government type so it is available to switch to when we want to, or we can go for required techs and pick up the governments after moving on to the middle ages.

Please share your insights and opinions on these questions:

• How does the impact of having a government to switch to compare to completing the required techs for moving to the next age?
  • Which tech(s) are the known civs likely to be researching?
  • Which one of the available options will give us the greatest value in trade?

There is 1 civ we know of who is ahead of us in tech; Egypt is at least Polytheism up on us. The hanging Gardens have been build so there are some civs with Monarchy.

I expect the Egyptians to head for Monarchy and the others to head to Republic (as they researched Philosophy) or construction.

I hope the war will end soon with the capture and destruction of the Egyptian cities and might. We have some spare lands to fill and can then switch our civilization to our goals; a strong peaceful Fanatika on route to a Spaceship victory.

In order to get there I suggest Republic and Currency are needed and after that construction.

Monarchy was chosen as our next government because in that time we weren't expecting to be fighting so soon and it was planned to fight when we reached Monarchy. The war came sooner and now we can plan for a gov for after the war; Republic.

The tech Currency will likely be the "greatest value in trade", but I fear we won't get there first. We gained a lot by meeting the Russians first. If we can actively do the same to the other unknown civ's we'd have the greatest value in trade.

I can't comment on: "How does the impact of having a government to switch to compare to completing the required techs for moving to the next age?" as I don't understand what is meant.

I say: finish Polytheism. Then check what the Egytians and others have as Techs. If no-one has any other techs, go for Republic. If some-one else has other techs, see if currency can be profitable to trade for the soon to be discovered by the AI Republic.

I believe that what d8575 means is that since neither Monarchy nor Republic are required techs to advance to the Middle Ages, would we be better off going the Currency/Construction route so that we can start working on Middle Age techs.

To that I would probably say no. I believe that we are ready for a government change and should do so as soon as we are able. The only thing that concerns me about a Republic is that we have a lot of troops in the field, whose maintenance will directly affect our gpt. For this reason, I think it is imperative that we possess Currency before we decide to go with Republic.

Another thing we can do is take Elephantine and see if can get anything more from Egypt for peace. Right now we can get Polytheism and 24g from them to end this war. If we auto-raze Elephantine, the amount of gold would probably go up slightly.

Let's head for currancy if we need gpt, if not let's take Construction.

How much gpt do we have?

We're gonna need colloseum/aquaduct ...

I's say we want to switch to a republic so we should either research that next or research currency and then republic.

Top Bottom