• Masonry

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Meidcine

• Theology

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wouldn't it be a better idea if we researched The Republic? With the President declaring a state of emergency due to finacial problems, wouldn't it make sense to research a tech that would give us a trade bonus throughout the entire UFE. With astronomy, we would get some better ships and the chance to build a decent wonder, but it wouldn't really relive the economic pressure we are currently facing.

You obviously never read the tech research thread. It says that we choose a far off goal, and research all the prerequisites for it. In the event it is blocked, we hold this side poll to choose a side tech.

Our economy is going good dude, we are building markets.

Republic is out of the question. We need martial law, we have few cities, and we cannot afford to use luxuries currently.

Well, call me the outcast but I voted for Theology.

I know it's a dead end, but we're voting for something to research in case we cannot head toward our desired tech.

I would love to be able to have the first crack at JS Bach.

Edit: I thought that I would further add that I think other civs may be able to get us iron working. I can't tell from the mod-pack units, but do the Mongols have legions? If so, steal iron working from them! We're at war with them after all. Or just take a city with military or bribe and take the tech.

The Mongols do have iron working according to one of AoA's posts.
What new ships will Astronomy give us? It only allows you to build Copernicus' Observatory and nothing else. You must be thinking of Civ 3. Admittedly, it is a prerequisite to techs for better ships, but at the moment we should only be interested in the science boost.
I voted iron working like a fool, forgetting that we can just take it from the Mongols when we please. We won't need it just yet anyway. (This is not to suggest that everyone else who voted ironworking is a fool ;)) I'm tempted by Masonry though, so we can get a move on to construction and engineering, but we can most likely take this from the Mongols too. I'd be surprised if they haven't got city walls yet, so we should definitely send vet crusaders at them. :D

I've gone for Masonary.. Somewhere along the line we need to setup fortifications and city walls . Let's face it our defenders are hardly up to the job....

Agree with Kev that we should be able to get some techs from Mongols (by bribing/stealing or taking over a city)but have to be careful not to affect our own tech research goals. The same arguments for not building the Great Library apply.

But you can't refuse to accept a free tech when you take a city, so we'll just have to learn to live with this. We will be able to take a city with crusaders and then just choose iron working as the tech we get from the Mongols. If we research it now, when we don't particularly need it, then we will waste time and beakers and not get any bonus for taking their cities.

But you can't refuse to accept a free tech when you take a city, so we'll just have to learn to live with this. We will be able to take a city with crusaders and then just choose iron working as the tech we get from the Mongols. If we research it now, when we don't particularly need it, then we will waste time and beakers and not get any bonus for taking their cities.
We have to be selective when we take a city(bribe or force) and make sure that it is part of a GRG. The danger here is if that civ only has techs which we don't particularly want in which case we shouldn't take their city. The Mongols have iron workings and our voting here tends to indicate this then we don't have a problem with taking their city.

Top Bottom