1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SciFi/Fantasy Unit Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Arthedain, Jan 24, 2011.

1. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

The only unit really needed now is some kind of cargo pod or freight unit. That will round out the main roster, unless I add some more "reward" units.
    I must extend a big thanks to fairline once more for being really just the best CIV2 artist around. I hope this scenario is a testament to his work. :)

2. Fairline

Fairline King

Pleasure, Ciaran :)

On your placeholders you're using the frieghter-thingy from the TIE fighter and X-Wing games. Is that what you're after, or would you prefer just a cargo pod on its own? Hope your PC problems are sorted btw, and I'm really looking forward to the scenario. Off on a tangent, Erika mentioned the game SW Empires at War which I hadn't played for years; it turns out I'd bought it in some Steam sale or other so I've been replaying with the mod 'Thrawn's Revenge', which has a pretty similar premise to your scenario I think. What a great game! Recommended to those who've never played it before and great fodder for civ scenario ideas...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  3. CurtSibling

Thanks, sir!

The cargo pod is completely open to your interpretation, sir. Something colourful and space-corp looking.
    In my view, those old games, with characters like Thrawn are the direction they should have taken the sequels.
    This is why I am doing the scenario in the outer reaches, to pay homage to the old SW games...:)

4. Fairline

Fairline King

Will do. While ive been making these units i got sucked into the whole canon versus legend controversy. It appears your man Thrawn has received disney canonization, so I'm sure he'll appear at some point in a future game or movie

5. CurtSibling

I saw Disney's "The Force Awakens", and "The Last Jedi". One was passable, the other horrendous.
    I'll be making a point of missing any future SW films, and will make my own fan-creation in CIV2! :)

6. Fairline

Fairline King

Yeah I would agree with your assessment of the films; neither was much good. What's with having a mardy teenager as a crap Darth Vadar stand-in, and who the hell is snook or snark or whatever his name is? The only one I would watch again was the side-story film Rogue One. Having said that, I wonder how much we love the original trilogy cos we were kids when we first saw them? ;) I re-watched the prequel trilogy again recently and the are effing awful in terms of their dialogue and acting, but I'd maintain the over-arching plot between these 3 and the original 3 is decent, with the whole anakin /Vader fall and redemption story and the rise and defeat of the empire. If only old George had had the talent to pull it off with good dialogue and coherent storytelling.

7. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

So you're not excited by the prospect of a Jar-Jar Binks origins movie?:mischief:

8. Patine

Patine Deity

I personally felt the prequels had an often-overlooked "thrum" to the zeitgeist of the day, and so many historical failures of great nations and empires hidden under the oft-excoriated elements, but they were subtle, and not in-your-face and overt like such "messages" are in more recent movies (especially Disney, 20th Century Fox, and WB big-budget comic book movies and TV series) - subtle enough that a lot of people didn't catch it underneath things like Jar-Jar Binks, Christian Wilkinson's often grating acting style, and the pod race that never seemed to end.

9. CurtSibling

Bottom line is that the great era of movies is over. Now we have fancy-looking garbage made by egotist dummies.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch Doctor Who "Inferno", for some proper SF excellence. :)

10. Fairline

Fairline King

Posting these as a backup. More to follow, including a cargo pod for Curt

star wars backup 2019.png

11. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Truly beautiful work Fairline!

As Curt is probably already aware, his is a scenario I'm really looking forward to playing. Your artwork I'm sure will only help to bring his Star Wars world alive!

12. gapetit

gapetit Prince

Wonderful Fairline. Great work :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

13. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

:love: I especially like the dynamic pose on the female Twi'lek... Are you making a certain Togruta padwan as well?
    As for the milenium falcon, I have no words! :thumbsup:

14. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

You've outdone yourself! Brilliant.

15. CurtSibling

Ah, yes! Good work, Gareth!
    This new unit sheet made my day! :D

16. BC1871

BC1871 Warlord

In a world where Edward VIII refused to abdicate, the Legions of the Union of Fascists form the backbone of the new British Armed Forces. They are opposed by the People's Revolutionary Republic of Britain, and the Royalists under "George VI".

Note: I don't have a scenario in the works for these, but just figured someone might get a bit of fun or use out of them. Also, I didn't bother creating any royalist forces as I couldn't really conceive any uniform variations for them.
    British Civil War 1936.png

Tanelorn and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  17. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

You don't play Hearts of Iron parchance? The latest expansion added a whole bunch of alt-hist paths for Britain (though no three-way civil war). :p

18. Patine

Patine Deity

Long Live the King! :p

19. CurtSibling

20. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

My latest Hoarde. Been reading a lot of Star Wars comics lately. Once again, i filled up the leftover slots with squirrels.
    I also made quite a few lazily converted speeders and far too many Acclamator and Victory kitbashes. And i finally got the Republic AT-AT to look somewhat like it's supposed to.....
    StarWarpedAndMoar.PNG