Scoreboard little "bug"

Aristos

Lightseeker
I noticed the name of the Civ has no "last space to separate the name from whatever symbol or icon comes next. In my case, I have the Power ratio next to the name, and it does not look nice when they are "glued" together.

I added 5 pixels to width, and it looks better.

Could you please add this small correction to the final version or the next SVN?

Thanks.

It looks fine on my screen, and frankly my scoreboard is already getting dangerously close to the plot list. :) How about this idea:

After the release I'll add the ability for you to specify whatever gaps you want by putting numbers into the format string. So for you, you would put

Code:
SC?[B]5[/B]PTUENBDRAHW*LO
to have a 5 pixel gap before the power rating. You could, of course, left-align the civ name so it only slams up against the longest name.

good idea.

I am already using LeftAlign. It slams against the longest name, as you said. It's no mod breaker, but as I told you before, given the overall high quality of your work, these little details, as easy as they are to fix, should not be left hanging for a paranoic perfectionist to criticize your excellent product. :D

I'm just the devil's advocate.

What do you think about my scrolling list? Here.

That's pretty neat, but it wouldn't work with BUG's Advanced Layout I don't think (I could be wrong). That uses a standard text area that has a scrollbar when the text doesn't fit. BUG's scoreboard uses a separate text object for each part/icon of each score row. Think of it as a table. This is how it gets the columns to line up.

What I'd like to do is have up/down buttons for the scoreboard that basically page up/down. You'd set how many scores you want visible, and it would show the buttons only if needed. This is key for games with a lot of civs.

I'd also like buttons to switch between more/less detailed views. For example, in the options you would set say 3 different Layout fields (the string of letters and symbols), and pressing the buttons on the main interface would switch to that view. This way you could have a collapsed score/name/attitude view and a full view if you wanted. This latter one is a little bit goofy, but it'd be pretty easy to do.

Looks like he's going to be needing 5 graphics.;) IIRC the thing that stopped us from doing this in the past was the graphics issue.

You are wrong - it's a table. :D And it has all needed links to the civs. And it's height and width is dynamic.

Looks like he's going to be needing 5 graphics.;) IIRC the thing that stopped us from doing this in the past was the graphics issue.

I could use the existing up/down arrows, but I would prefer some new ones. I want these to be a) small and b) unobtrusive. For now just the up/down arrows will do the trick. They will be side-by-side.

PLE (or civ itself, I forget) has a pair of arrows that would work, but they're bigger than I'd like. However, I can start with those.

I'm wondering if the other part of this idea -- the multiple view modes -- is a solution looking for a problem. Would anyone really use it? I seriously doubt that I would myself.

You are wrong - it's a table. :D

I could be wrong, but that looks a lot like a single-column table. I say this because similar parts of each civ's score entry don't line up vertically. I suspect you build a single string for each entry and add it to a scrolling list. That's the same effect as one huge string with line breaks in it.

And before you suggest using a normal Civ table with multiple columns, I've found that Civ requires way too much space between columns to make that feasible. Look at the new Raw Yields. Those columns are as narrow as I could get them before the values are truncated with "...", and it truncates long before it's needed.

I would love to know why and find a solution to this truncation. It seems that CDA is able to pack columns closer together. I'd like to do the same with RY.

Top Bottom