Scotland

Hmmm... yes I see. Can you provide some examples of other viable UBs already in existence in other cultures?

Thanks! (trying to be of assistance here..)

I mean, I could, I don't see how that will really help. For instance I used a Swiss Bank as the Swiss UB, a Publick House as an Irish UB (replaces grocer), and an Opera House as the Austrian UB (replaces theatre) for some European civs in my module pack. I gave the Phoenicians a seaport (replaces Harbor) in the phoenician mod, and I forget what the name of the Nubian UB was, some type of vault, but it replaced the Granary. So there are a lot of ways you can go. So far it seems that people have gone with the Mercat Cross for Scotland and had it replace the Market. I was going to try and do something different for Scotland in my module pack, but it looks like I am going to wind up with the Merkat Cross like everyone else.

Highlander, an imitation of the highland infantry which served during the Victorian era.

On these lines I'd have thought a Barracks variant would be an option.

I can't say I have anything to back this up, but my impression has always been that the Scots have a disproportionately high number of troops within the British standing army

Perhaps then their Barracks UB could reduce the hammer cost for certain unit types (melee and gunpowder?) by say 20%?

Scottland was big in the Enlightenment, especially with economics and philosophy, maybe replace the University with something else.

The UB should definitely be the Broch

Possibly either an early fort, or something that improves farming, or a combination of both. Aha, could it creat food in rocky terrain, because it allows them to farm where most could not?

In previous Scottish Civs I have seen, The Mercat Cross was used as the UB. Figure it is a replacement for the Market, with a free Merchant or a Scientist (or both if this isnt to powerful). This is actually what I use when I play with Scotland in games.

I only suggest the scientist because if the Scottish were big into Philosophy and Economics. You are escentially giving the Scottish a boost in Wealth, Research and GPP output, with a building that historically was a Market where people would come to trade and discuss ideas.

Another I would suggest is some kind of replacement for the Castle (not sure what you would call it, maybe Keep). From my trip through Scotland a few years back, I remember their being a plethora of Castles in close proximoty, more so than any place I have seen. Maybe a Castle that doesnt expire or expires later (maybe with Flight)? Although that would give the cities an increase in defence during the gunpowder age, not sure if this would be accurate or even plausable?

I would avoid the Colosseum as a potential choice to replace. For 1, I think the Colosseum/Theater UB's are overdone. I think there are currently 3 UB for the Colosseum (Greece, Babylon, Maya). Not that it means anything, I just think there are buildings replaced only once (some none). I believe the Castle and Market only have 1 at the moment.

Highlander as a UU sounds great, though I'm curious.. will he be using a Claymore? :devil:

And if he's already done, can you post a screen shot?

I already have a Scotland civ with a Highlander UU. THere's a picture of it somewhere in my mod's thread. But the module is already up (it is part of the Europe Module Pack II).

I would suggest for an Unique Scottish building

Bawn Unique building for Scots; Replaces barracks
New land units receive +3 experience points
+1 :health: from cow, pig, sheep
Required to build Heroic Epic.

Yes as a barracks replacement rather than a walls replacement as the more commonly seen stones walls we see today were replacements for the earlier Trench and palisade or hedge originals and they are designed against raiding for stock protection rather than as a true bombardment deference.

• Would allow them to be built before researching masonry.
  • Could use the essentially similar Barmekin although those technically protected outbuildings as well as stock

The Mercat cross seems pretty week as a Unique building as almost everyone had markets often enough with central markers, many German and Irish ones are also centered on crosses.

The kirk was a better idea! Replacing temples perhaps with -10% maintenance like a courthouse representing their organizational and judicial place in the community.
Using a Temple replacement will require a bit more careful code work, so that you get Buddhist Kirks and Confucian kirks working properly and that you don't break the requirements for monasteries and cathedrals also that you only get the -10% maintenance for the state religion kirk and not -10% for each one you build, at least until adopting Free Religion anyway.

Top Bottom