Scouts xp on exploration

Strec

Prince
Concerning scouts :
After doing many games I definitly think 45 for max exploration xp is too low (note I personnaly modified the value in my configuration but it may be done in CBP).
A scout job is to explore, it may gain xp by exploring, not by fighting!

If it is technically possible I suggest to set the value at 45 per era so at classical era you can up to 90 (level 4) and when you come to astronomy to transform in explorer you have 180xp.

I think 45 xp maximum on barbarians is low too and the same system, n per era, could be applied.

Barbarians are basically the passive source of xp, so they shouldn't give you elite warriors either.

Between 45xp and elite warriors there are some values, it's often called balancing :)

I would disagree that barbs are a passive source of xp. In this mod they are tougher, more active, and represent an ongoing threat particularly to scouts that keep exploring. Scouts to me often become useless for exploring a bit before the upgrade to explorer because the barbs have upgraded so much they can one shot them if they accidentally move in range. I use an unlimited barb experience mod and I have never found an opportunity to farm elite units from them.

Concerning scouts :
After doing many games I definitly think 45 for max exploration xp is too low (note I personnaly modified the value in my configuration but it may be done in CBP).

Can I ask how you edited that? It doesn't seem tied to the Barbarian XP limit anymore.

Between 45xp and elite warriors there are some values, it's often called balancing :)

I have been playing whit 60xp cap for a while and I find it super balanced, it finally allows scouts to get their best promotion, scouting 3, for an extra move, a promotion I never played whit before my changes because by the time the scout had 45xp from exploration he was to weak to fight even barbarians to get the remaining xp, sometimes even a minor change can have a huge impact.

I ran it with 200 xp from barbs and 300 from scouting for quite a while. It was too much. But I definitely support a raise in these values to some degree less extreme than that.

It's in the community balance patch 'coredefines.sql' and its very easy to change, just a txt file.

Concerning scouts :
A scout job is to explore, it may gain xp by exploring, not by fighting!

If it is technically possible I suggest to set the value at 45 per era so at classical era you can up to 90 (level 4) and when you come to astronomy to transform in explorer you have 180xp.

I think 45 xp maximum on barbarians is low too and the same system, n per era, could be applied.

Yeah, I agree with this. I always end up with a useless level 2 scout by mid game. Only thing I could think of is that maybe Pathfinders would get a bit too strong early on. Not really sure as I don't have much experience with the Shoshone.

Let's not forget that scouts used to get nothing for exploration. 45 XP means your scout needs to get a few hits in on barbs in order to become a veteran. This feels about right.

G

Ehm, correct me if I'm wrong, but Barb-experience is also capped at 45....

Sorry, people were saying that they bumped barb xp to 60, and liked it - that's what I was referring to (45 for scouting, 15 for barb hitting).

Really? I thought people were saying the exact opposite? That they left Barb-exp at 45 and raised scouting-exp to 60?

And I think that makes way more sense actually, getting a third promotion on military units without war seems way powerful.

scouts are already way more powerful at scouting than they were in vanilla tho- owing to the reconnaissance promotion. all players are already benefitting from a consistently reliable +2 visibility they never had before, so giving them that plus another (no terrain penalty) movement point for practically free is a sorta a bit much. that third promotion increases a scouts usefulness by at least %50

i say at "at least %50" because though theyre not military units theyre damn good at stealing civilians and plundering trade routes already due to the visibility. with 3 movement points it borders OP in that regard-

scouts are already way more powerful at scouting than they were in vanilla tho- owing to the reconnaissance promotion. all players are already benefitting from a consistently reliable +2 visibility they never had before, so giving them that plus another (no terrain penalty) movement point for practically free is a sorta a bit much. that third promotion increases a scouts usefulness by at least %50

i say at "at least %50" because though theyre not military units theyre damn good at stealing civilians and plundering trade routes already due to the visibility. with 3 movement points it borders OP in that regard-

There is a limited number of tiles to explore however, and being able to reach that third promotion makes those early experience ruins feel less garbage.

It's in the community balance patch 'coredefines.sql' and its very easy to change, just a txt file.

It may have been there before this update, but I'm quite sure I have only the Barbarian XP option in CoreDefines.sql and nothing related to Scout XP.

I've heard people say they were tied together, but Scout XP stops at 45 no matter what I change that line to, while Barbarian XP works properly.

Tidbit to keep in mind: modifying the exploration and barb exp tunes the Zulus up and down accordingly.

It may have been there before this update, but I'm quite sure I have only the Barbarian XP option in CoreDefines.sql and nothing related to Scout XP.

I've heard people say they were tied together, but Scout XP stops at 45 no matter what I change that line to, while Barbarian XP works properly.

Scout XP is in the Core Defines for the regular Community Patch. The one you're looking at with the barb xp cap is the CBP core defines.

Top Bottom