Selling Embassies

Carazycool

Warlord
how do people feel about selling embassies ASAP to the AI for 1 gpt? You then later need to buy an embassy with them (if you want embassies), but perhaps the 1 gpt boost early is too powerful to pass up?

Sell it for 1 gp per turn, then later when you sell them a luxury and they don't have the full income, you can trade an embassy to narrow the difference.

Its a trap. Don't be so quick to open.

Yeah, I rarely sell for 1gpt. AI will use the embasy to "see" the land arround your capital, and are thus more likely to forward settle. Best to exchange embassies after you plant 2-3 cities (or however much land around your capital you want to make sure that YOU settle). [Immortal / Standard / Standard]

On Diety, it might not matter as much, and the 1gpt could help, though.

sell the embassy.. their scout will find your cap soon enough.. 1gpt early on is pretty useful..
the early DOF request is more to be feared.. they're essentially asking you "can we forward settle on you?"

Don't do it til your done expanding or about T75.

The rare games I sell my embassies early I always get ringed by random AI's that wandered a settler over from across the map

Its a trap. Don't be so quick to open.

Yeah, I was very proud of myself when I learned this. I never sell to Monty or Khan or Shaka anymore. It's amazing how hard it is for them to go to war with you when they have no idea where in the hell you are :).

Yeah, I was very proud of myself when I learned this. I never sell to Monty or Khan or Shaka anymore. It's amazing how hard it is for them to go to war with you when they have no idea where in the hell you are :).

Those (and a couple of others) are the exceptions. In most cases you are definitely better off with the 1 gpt early on.

I like selling my embassy if I haven't discovered the other civ's lands and don't feel I need to know where they are right away. Occasionally a CS will ask me to discover said civ, and then it's a very cheap investment to buy an embassy and gain a lot of influence with the CS.

Obviously, once I've discovered the other civ's lands the point is moot so I often go ahead and pay for the embassy then.

If I'm going for Domination, I sell my embassies early and often, and don't buy theirs until a) they have Education, b) they have enough money for an RA, c) I have enough money for an RA, and d) we're friends...

Or when I need Open Borders. For Domination, I probably don't have writing anyway until t60 at the earliest, and 5 embassies will buy you 2x archer->CB upgrade by t55. Totally worth it.

But. If I'm going peaceful, I'm selective about who I sell my embassies to. /shrug

I do find myself tempted to go for earlier Writing just so I can see who's close to me. Speaking of huge, empty, Highlands maps. :/

Funny story, the diplo AI knows where your capital is from turn 1. So an AI who has no idea where you are can get mad at you for building cities closer to his cap than your own cap. I don't know if he tells the grand strategy AI though, probably not though.

Funny story, the diplo AI knows where your capital is from turn 1. So an AI who has no idea where you are can get mad at you for building cities closer to his cap than your own cap. I don't know if he tells the grand strategy AI though, probably not though.

Hah, that's a good point. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom