Senatus Populusque Romanus - Zachriel's Gotm16

Originally posted by DaLightHorseman

whats the latin for spin doctor?

Caesar might prefer, Stamina Doctor, that is, Doctor of the twists and turns of Fate (literally, threads in the warp of human life spun by the Fates), but perhaps Torquere Doctor would be more appropriate for such a self-serving commentary, i.e. Doctor of Twisting.

By the way, I do most of my research on Latin matters here:
http://www.google.com/intl/la/

:worshp: :worshp: :worshp:

By the way, what tool do you use to make the transition frame in the animated GIF (like this one). I assumed you start out with two screenshots of the maps, then you use some program to create the transition frame (the fade-in and fade-out frame).

Originally posted by heliogabalus
I liked it a lot, especially the historical background (but shouldn't it be "Ceterum censeo..." instead of "Praeterea censeo Bismark esse delendam."? Or did you alter it on purpose?)

As you know, quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur, that is, anything in Latin sounds profound. :D

The phrase in question is from Cato the Elder, Praeterea censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!, meaning "Furthermore I believe Carthage should be destroyed!" Sometimes it's quoted as simply Carthago delenda est, or "Carthage must be destroyed." After a journey to Carthage, the Roman senator concluded every speech before the senate with this phrase, no matter the topic of discussion.

(However, I am not a linguist and certainly appreciate any correction in my Latin. :) )

Originally posted by Moonsinger
By the way, what tool do you use to make the transition frame in the animated GIF (like this one). I assumed you start out with two screenshots of the maps, then you use some program to create the transition frame (the fade-in and fade-out frame).

Paint Shop Pro is my primary tool, but I have others. It still takes a lot of fiddling to make the gifs load (relatively) quickly and still look right. The Caesar's Nightmare morph-gif was extra special fun -- my first Civ3 morph. :)

[Edit for typo]

Awesome story, and truly a clinic on how to conduct an air-assault invasion. Your stories continue to inspire me. Building that rail line through all those mountains must have been quite an imperial undertaking!

Originally posted by Justus II
Awesome story, and truly a clinic on how to conduct an air-assault invasion. Your stories continue to inspire me. Building that rail line through all those mountains must have been quite an imperial undertaking!

I usually find a good Rail System is a military priority. :goodjob: There was no way to know where an enemy might attack along the Spina del Mondus, so Caesar shipped a third of his hundred workers to the East to make the Rail Line. Jerusalem only had one Elite Defender when the Greeks landed, but plenty when they attacked. :)

So yes, it was quite an Imperial undertaking. ;)
The Roman Workers are often credited as winning the Battle at Jerusalem.

Originally posted by Zachriel

Generally, I handicap the game depending on the level and starting position.
I can see where that's fun, Zachriel,

Focusing on points can partly ruin the fun. "Let's plant this bleak city to get some territory points". So I usually hope for a Deity or Emperor GOTM where the other leaders become more awe inspiring.

I also agree, basically, with your idea of good sportsmanship. Yet if we view good spotsmanship as simply not stabbing the AI in the back or not sheding their blood for no big reason, we will still be somewhat "unsportsmanlike" when we do tricks that the AI doesn't think of, e.g. (correct me if I'm wrong) rush important wonders, rush vital improvements, use suicide galleys etc. In that sense multiplayer might be more fair and square. (Let's just hope it doesn't ruin friendships.)

It was probably the difficulty level that made Babylon's Deity Settlers seem the most thrilling to me. Your pop rushing of temples around the river appeared both ingenious and entirely justifiable due to the great handicap of the Persians.

I am currently collecting some examples of smart and not so smart AI behaviour and will perhaps post them after GOTM17 is finished.

Sincerely, "Megalou"

Poplation: 134.

67 live in the palace.

Special thanks to Cracker and the GOTM staff for a great map (and all the other hard work that makes GOTM so much fun)!

Not sure if I'll have time to interview Hannibal (GOTM17) for a web report, but just in case, can anybody here speak in the Punic tongue? Or know any good bawdy Carthaginian tales?

;)

Yes, indeed. That site is really inspiring! But where in the world/space/hell is Zachriel? Wow, they should make a game about it, like they did with Carmen Sandiego.

Top Bottom