Setting city min distance limit

tantoniou

Warlord
I'm playing v40.1 (which is a great version overall I have to say! - good work on the team) and I am a bit tired of watching the AI settling numerous cities in 2 tiles distance from each other (and occasionaly from my cities too), I'd like to change that from the mod's Assets/XML/GlobalDefines.xml (MIN_CITY_RANGE), and set the value to 3 (right now it's 2 as by default).

I've read in other posts that this may cause unexpected errors or is it just my misunderstanding and it will work fine?

I'm playing v40.1 (which is a great version overall I have to say! - good work on the team) and I am a bit tired of watching the AI settling numerous cities in 2 tiles distance from each other (and occasionaly from my cities too), I'd like to change that from the mod's Assets/XML/GlobalDefines.xml (MIN_CITY_RANGE), and set the value to 3 (right now it's 2 as by default).

I've read in other posts that this may cause unexpected errors or is it just my misunderstanding and it will work fine?
It won't cause any problems, I prefer it at 3 too.
It will improve turn times as well, less cities on the map, less units produced per turn, less computation in general per turn.

It won't cause any problems, I prefer it at 3 too.
It will improve turn times as well, less cities on the map, less units produced per turn, less computation in general per turn.
Thanks Toffer, I was hoping that!
Yes I was thinking it will also improve turn times, but in the end it's all about the way you like the game to be played I guess.

Yeah I change it to 3 as well, never noticed any issues.

Maybe set it to 4 or 5 and play with an extra large map?
I guess it's also totally doable, but you miss some ovelapping city size bonuses (not much in my experience), and you make the cities less adaptable to offensive stacks in the early game (more distance to cover for units if you don't have enough in an area).

Good point.

Also, what are overlapping city size bonuses? Never heard that term before.

Also, what are overlapping city size bonuses? Never heard that term before.
When you have 2 cities say 2 tiles apart (3 tiles movement distance), and a resource between them, both cities can take advantage of that resource and build unique buildings that require that particular resource. The further away the cities the less the resources they share, for instance if they are 4 tiles apart, they have to reach the 3rd expandable/working cross to be able to share a resource, and that's far in the game/tech tree, where this advantage IMHO is somewhat mitigated by the tech progress and the amount of buildings each city already has.

Top Bottom