Settings for Realistic Culture Spread

Do you think it makes sense that with RCS the area growth to one hilly tile takes as long as it takes in a non-RCS game to get a full circle of tiles?
Nope, I think slowdown is too harsh

I have divided all occasions of <iCultureDistance> by 10 and looked what happened (started a new game with 1 tyle city start and realistic culture spread and played for about 300 turns with marathon speed).

What I observed:
- Growth of the city area still only happens when there is a full culture step (none => poor => fledgling => developing).
- The first cultural growth is a full ring of 8 tiles (as it has also been with the original iCultureDistance values).
- The next growth leads to 10 of the 12 tiles of the 2nd ring (which is 10 times what I have observed without changing the values).
- The 3rd growth means that all of the 2nd ring and about 80% of the 3rd ring were added to my territory.

This means that RCS is only a slowdown of cultural city growth, with some terrain influence. I would have imagined that at smaller steps tiles were added to the city but in the end at about the same speed than without RCS. But tiles are added only in groups at full culture steps and I think, far too few of them with the standard settings (mostly observed only singe tiles in marathon, sometimes 2 or even zero). I will try dividing the <iCultureDistance> values by 5 and see if this is somehow satisfying.

Growth of the city area still only happens when there is a full culture step (none => poor => fledgling => developing).
Yeah, RCS never attempted to change this rule.
The first cultural growth is a full ring of 8 tiles (as it has also been with the original iCultureDistance values).
This was not exactly intended design, just that no one tried to address this oddity when/after the 1 city tile option was added, the option was very lightly implemented (few changes) without touching RCS specific stuff.
This means that RCS is only a slowdown of cultural city growth
I'm pretty sure this was part of the original design intention with the option, make border expansion more interesting while slowing it down.

"Toffer90, post: 16198120, member: 219513

This was not exactly intended design, just that no one tried to address this oddity when/after the 1 city tile option was added, the option was very lightly implemented (few changes) without touching RCS specific stuff.
I'm pretty sure this was part of the original design intention with the option, make border expansion more interesting while slowing it down.

It wasn't touched because of the other Option that makes the 8 tiles in 1st ring always there at game start, Minimum City Border. Which also states; 8 tiles around city can never be conquered via Cultural Influence. (This Option is disabled by City Starts with 1 tile Option.)

And when City starts with 1 tile was added as an Option DH was in charge of RCS. But once he started making Subdued Animals RCS was put on the back burner and did not receive anymore attention iirc.

Also, what exactly does Fixed Borders now? I have not played with this Option in Years because I disliked how it used to interact with Cultural Influence.

Last edited:
I have divided all occasions of <iCultureDistance> by 10 and looked what happened (started a new game with 1 tyle city start and realistic culture spread and played for about 300 turns with marathon speed).

What I observed:
- Growth of the city area still only happens when there is a full culture step (none => poor => fledgling => developing).
- The first cultural growth is a full ring of 8 tiles (as it has also been with the original iCultureDistance values).
- The next growth leads to 10 of the 12 tiles of the 2nd ring (which is 10 times what I have observed without changing the values).
- The 3rd growth means that all of the 2nd ring and about 80% of the 3rd ring were added to my territory.

This means that RCS is only a slowdown of cultural city growth, with some terrain influence. I would have imagined that at smaller steps tiles were added to the city but in the end at about the same speed than without RCS. But tiles are added only in groups at full culture steps and I think, far too few of them with the standard settings (mostly observed only singe tiles in marathon, sometimes 2 or even zero). I will try dividing the <iCultureDistance> values by 5 and see if this is somehow satisfying.
Perhaps you should make a modmod with this gained info?! I would like to see it. :D

Top Bottom