Settlement locations

Don't get me wrong, DS. I'm glad you brought up the issue. How else would I have been able to voice my opinion about it. :D

I just feel that there's not enough time to discuss new options before the next t/c, the People have already spoken, and we're going to have to change the opinion of the (almost) entire nation about sensibility of expanding to the East instead of building up our Core cities. The last one will take a cattle prod, at least, to get accomplished.

As for questioning the settling of site K - if nothing had changed I would not have done it, and of DaveShack's reasons for not settling there, 1 and 3 have not changed in themselves. What has changed is reason 2 - we believed we were denying a significant strategic resource to the Russians which outweighed any disadvantages the site may have had. We now have more information and know that this is not the case, which removes what I believe to be the primary reason for choosing the site in the first place. In the light of this new information I prefer to raise the question and give people the opportunity to re-examine the decision rather than carry on regardless.

Cyc - Yes some of these sites are the same as you originally proposed before we got diverted to settling the land to the west - I have been developing my map for a long time!

With the new poll...

I saw letter J is the first priority. Mûre is alone and at risk of being cut off by the Babylonians. (Placing it there to cut off Babylon from iron was quite a gambit; hope it pays off for us.) Looking at the current map, Babylon has nowhere left to expand but towards us. I'm no expert on how the AI evaluates settling, but my guess is that they will settle past Mûre rather than take the jungle. With that in mind, letter I is my next suggestion. However, I doubt that we will get two cities in before the Babylonians make their next placement. Only after solidifying our claim in the east should we fill out the better locations in the north, like the black and white locations.

Also... although I wouldn't consider it quite yet, and it isn't even in the poll, the floodplain north of Groton also looks inviting for a future settlement.

I wish to propose a new proposal for the settler locations for the Audiac Province. I beleve that if we settle close to the rivers that we dont have to build aqueducts in the future. Also another plus is that they can serve as settler/worker factories.

I like how you took advantage of the riversl. Plus, with one desert city in the void, we will have all the territory locked up.

I am not very happy with parts of the new proposal. On first sight, it looks o.k., but if you include the existing cities, the situation in the west (yellow) looks quire different:

We have a tremendeous overlap with St. Octaviansburg and the new orange location. Thus the new yellow site at the coast is IMHO not to be settled.

The light yellow site in the NW should be moved 1 tile NE to get a better mix of food and production.

The new red site is fine.

The northern red site should be moved 1 to the west. That way, we can fit a city 1 SW of the elite warrior, without losing any tiles.

As tao says - it looks quite different once you include settled and about to be settled sites - Orange and Black (Blue on CG's map).

Like tao I have moved the light yellow site, only I've moved it North which also puts it on the coast.

Like CT I have moved the Red site West for better spacing.

Like tao I think the CG's yellow site is too close to Orange and St. Octaviansburg, so have moved it North to the hill although it could also go one further NE onto the desert. This does take it away from the river, so it will need an Aqueduct though.

Like CT I have added another city Blue between Red and Yellow, although not quite where CT suggested.

Magenta I have moved to the Cyan position that was included in the last poll. This moves it away from the river, but gives access to some floodplain and keeps it on the same ring as St Octaviansburg, Huntington etc.

Purple could eventually be slotted in if we wanted to fill up the last desert squares.

Top Bottom