• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Settlers can make Settlments

evanbgood

Chieftain
I've seen a lot of ideas for the aquisition of unguarded, neutral resources outside of your territory. I have one idea, myself, that I think would allow this without breaking the balance of the small-vs-large empire rules of Civ V. This could probably be made with a mod in the future.

The idea is to give the option to make settlements in addition to cities. A settlement would function like a minor city or an "expeditionary" force, built specifically for the purpose of accessing a valuable chunk of land. There would be several pros and cons to this:

Pros:
Would not effect (or much lesser effect) on cultural requirements for social policies
Would, obviously, give territory access to valuable resources
Much less unhappiness from the settlement itself, if any, and limited population growth would keep down population unhappiness
Could make a trade route to offset costs
Could be converted to a city at any time

Cons:
Costs GPT to maintain, much like a building in a city
No culture production
No science production
No great people production
Territory can only be expanded via gold and has an increased cost
Limited tile working bonuses for production, gold, and food
Max population limited
Greatly reduced options for buildings and units
-Could only build workers, settlers, scouts, work boats
-No wonders
-Could only build simple production-based buildings, granaries, seaports, harbors, lighthouses, etc.
Extremely poor defense, easily destroyed in war, and good gold bonus to conquerer (to discourage settling in hostile areas)

Side notes:
Settlements could easily be named and identified by placing "New" in front of the traditional city list name (New Berlin, New London, New York, etc).
For ease of modding, settlements could be identified by a new "base camp" building, similar to a palace in that it would be built instantly with the settlement. This building would have no benifits and would contain the maintenance cost of the settlement.
Commerce and liberty social policies could have advantages on settlements

The idea here would be to make a costly option in a desperate situation. For example, if you direly need iron, but making an entirely new city would cripple your empire in the future. Or, a rich but unhappy civ needs an extra luxury not easily available by trade or city-state alliances. This could also simulate interesting historically-similar events, like England settling America and needing to defend its infant settlements from native forces.

Due to costs and limitations, puting settlements everywhere would be foolish and trade options would still be an ideal first step. However, in times of cautious expansion or desperate need for vital resources, this could be a viable, realistic, and balanced solution.

This is a really good idea. I was actually wishing for something like this earlier when playing as India, trying to keep a small empire, but finding myself itching to grab a few extra luxury resources for trade purposes.

Very interesting. C:

Or be able to build forts outside your borders?

Giving you the tile they are constructed on and giving you the ability to buy extra tiles with gold. These forts could just be captured by an enemy moving a unit on top. Pillaging the fort removes all the claimed hexes.

That way you could just sail towards a backwards civilization, raze a city or two, build a fort near their resources and occupying it with one of your soldiers. That way you have an overseas empire :)

If you later build a city on top of the fort, it starts with a population of 2?

Something like this is needed, yes.
My own alternative solution is to snatch resources on crappy locations is to limit population and build colosseums.

Yup, and look at what the US and Chinese do today for the same effect.

True that, but greek colonies were less invasive so to speak. Plenty land back then that was not very populated. The modern way would include puppet-states, scare-tactics diplomacy and tanks or an army of lawyers.

True that, but greek colonies were less invasive so to speak. Plenty land back then that was not very populated. The modern way would include puppet-states, scare-tactics diplomacy and tanks or an army of lawyers.

The main thing these days is that there simply isn't much valuable land to settle that isn't already claimed by a nation. Most of the modern "settlements" would be science-based, like research facilities at the south pole.
The idea of settlements in Civ 5 wouldn't be to take anything from anyone else. There are already tanks for that... and I'm sure someone is working on a lawyer unit. Something has to be stronger than a GDR, right?

I think that when the settlements reach their maximum population, say 10, you should have the option to 'upgrade' it into an actual city. That way when the settlement gets big later in the game, you can turn it into a real city, like colonies in the US like New York and Washington have become big cities today. The upgrade would cost quite a bit, and the resulting city should have 5 population maybe. Or 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 depending on the difficulty level perhaps.

I like your idea. These settlements should probably be called ''colonies'', that's what they are.

Just three suggestions. Don't let them build anything. No units or buildings (especially not other settlers, too OP). Also, don't let them buy tiles outside of their immediate radius (so not more than 1 'ring' outwards from your starting position).

I'd really love to see tall empires being able to extend a little bit extra in logical directions. Imagine an OCC with several colonies around it. Trade routes connecting it (for money and infrastructure you'd otherwise lack). I'd like that.

I like your idea. These settlements should probably be called ''colonies'', that's what they are.

Just three suggestions. Don't let them build anything. No units or buildings (especially not other settlers, too OP). Also, don't let them buy tiles outside of their immediate radius (so not more than 1 'ring' outwards from your starting position).

I'd really love to see tall empires being able to extend a little bit extra in logical directions. Imagine an OCC with several colonies around it. Trade routes connecting it (for money and infrastructure you'd otherwise lack). I'd like that.

I think that workers and work boats would be fine, it saves the trouble of bringing (another) worker all the way there (when it gets taken by a barbarian).
Military units and buildings however I agree with.
Also I think that buying more tiles is fine as long as the price is twice as expensive and wonders making it cheaper have no effect on it.

A suggestion that I would give is that the city can't grow beyond 5 population and that the growth rate is only 50%. It can be turned into an actual city when above 3 population and will take 30 turns on 3 citizens, 20 turns on 4 citizens and 10 turns on 5 citizens.

not sure i really see a need for this. i'd rather just be able to puppet cities that i've built and be able to toggle cities between puppeted and annexed.

I like the idea of expanding on the pre-existing Civ 3 and 4 concepts of colonies.

Why build a colony and not a city?
Colonies allow you to harvest a resource that you need, but that isn't within your borders. As long as your colony is connected to your trade network by road or railroad, you gain the benefit of that resource.

Why would you build a colony instead of a city? First of all, because colonies are created by workers, it costs only 1 population point to build a colony, instead of 2 population points like a city. Second, unlike cities, you don't need to keep colonies happy; you simply build them and you get your resources. Third, you can build them in locations that are unfavorable for city-building, like jungle tiles. Finally, colonies don't require upkeep and maintenance the way that cities do.

Colonies do not have any inherent defenses; while it is considered an act of war to attack any nation's colony, if a unit is not guarding that colony, it will be destroyed.

So, colonies can be a quick and inexpensive way to stake a claim on a resource, or a temporary measure used to insure the supply of resources until your empire's borders expand to surround them.

How do I utilize resources?
To access any good, you need to build a road to that good. That good must also be connected to your capitol in some way, be it by road, harbor, or airport. If the good in question lies outside of your borders, you will also need to build a colony on that square. For luxury resources, all cities connected to the trade network will automatically receive the benefit of the luxury. For resources, all networked cities should now be able to build units that require that resource.

Great ideas!

I would add that these settlements needs to be connected via roads/harbor in order for the luxury/strategic resources they work to be made available to the rest of the empire.

If the settlements can build units and some limited buildings evanbgood suggested, what happens when these settlements run out of things to build? Are they allowed to convert the hammers to wealth and science? Well, I guess conversion to science is out of question since evanbgood said settlements can't produce science. But if that's the case, then for consistency's sake, maybe settlements should also be unable to convert extra hammers to wealth? But if that's the case, what to do with those hammers? Maybe there should be a special option for settlements (unavailable to cities) where the settlements just don't build anything?

Top Bottom