Settling city on resource

peterw1987

Prince
I want to share my strategy when settling city, and want to find how other player approach about settling city.

Beside of basic city yield(hill give 2f2p,freshwater 3f1p,otherwise 2f1p1g), I found that sometimes it is better to settle on some resource, and some not.

All normal resources usually lose its initial bonus when you settle on them, and you cant get the bonus yield from improvement, except bonus effect from building(eg. Settle on wheat will not give extra food on your city, but after you build granaries, your city get +1f from wheat granary bonus)

So, my thumbrule is settling on luxury that have more than 1 starting bonus yield and weak improvement bonus is okay.

Gold and marble are example of best luxury to settle on. Settling on gold immediately give extra 1g1c(gold mine bonus is not that great anyway 1p1g). Settling on marble immediately give extra 2p(marble has weakest improvement, only1p, and immediately give bonus to wonder building even before masonry researched)

Another resources that is good to settle on are tobacco,silk( +2g , weak improvement).

Silver copper (+1p) and fur(+1c) are okay too.

Avoid settling on incense,dye because even if your city will get +1c right away, you will lose strong improvement bonus.

Jade,gem,lapis lazuli are better improved than settled on also.

I am not sure, but food luxuries does not add anything when you settle on them(wine,citrus,sugar,tea,coffee). Is this intended?

I just want to share this, because even the smallest thing like this is important in high difficulties.

I never try to settle on a resource. Since using CP/CBO, and it changes how resources appear on the map, sometimes you do not know you are settling on a resource until it is revealed by researching a technology.

I think the rule is that the city will never decrease the base yields of the tile (at least that was the rule in vanilla and it seems to be similar for VP). So if you settle on a freshwater, plains wheat your city will calculate the 3 food, 1 hammer its supposed to. And the wheat doesn't exceed that, so nothing is changed. On the other hand if you settled a tile which produces culture on freshwater, you get the basic 3 food 1 hammers for city and a bonus culture, because you can't lose a yield. This rule seems to be usually correct, but I haven't confirmed with code or anything. This could be why those food luxuries aren't doing anything.

As India I often settle resources on purpose because his farms are stronger than other improvements and you want to maximize adjacency. It also can make sense for civs with unique improvements

Top Bottom