Several Civ Questions

bluecountry

Chieftain
Have not played Civ since Civ II....long time ago...love the game.
Thinking of getting back into it...but have resisted due to laziness from having to learn the game in a new format and fear of addiction.
I had a few questions, if you can answer, it would help.
Thanks!

1) What is the most current version of Civ on the market? I see Civ 4 and Civ 4 rev?
-What is the difference?

2) Should I buy now, or is Civ 5 coming out relatively soon?

3) Will my PC be able to handle this? I have a 5 year old dell laptop...inspiron 5150?

4) How hard is the learning curve for this game? I am pretty slow when it comes to new technology...will this be over my head or can I pick it up ala Civ II?

5) Can I play as I did in Civ II with an Earth Map? Do I have that option?

Thanks!

CivRev is available for the Xbox 360, PS3, DS, and iPhone/Touch, but not for the PC. The current PC version is Civ4 (plus expansions).

1) What is the most current version of Civ on the market? I see Civ 4 and Civ 4 rev?
-What is the difference?

Civ 4 is the latest game in the main series; Civ-Rev is sort of a spin-off of Civ for consoles. As such, Civ 4 has many more features, such as religions, corporations, and tradable resources, and also many more Civilization to play as. Civ-Rev is more of a stream-lined Civ experience, for relatively quick games without all the micromanagement, but it is a distinct game (not just Civ 4 with some features missing). For more difference, check out Wikipedia.

2) Should I buy now, or is Civ 5 coming out relatively soon?

No official mention of Civ 5 has been made yet, afaik.

4) How hard is the learning curve for this game? I am pretty slow when it comes to new technology...will this be over my head or can I pick it up ala Civ II?

Civ-Rev is more like Civ II than Civ 4, and I found it fairly easy to muddle through; Civ 4 has tutorials to help, so it shouldn't be that much of a struggle. A big difference from Civ II in both is the concept of cultural borders - basically, certain things generate culture in your city, which expand borders around them, and these borders count as your territory for the purpose of baring other players from entering them (and entering other's borders can count as an aggressive act). It's kind of intuitive, though.

Civ 4, yes; Civ-Rev, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry
Civ 4, yes; Civ-Rev, no.

On the Xbox360, you can play the Earth map on Civ Rev, its available as a free DLC.
The only bad thing about the map, is that you always start at the same spot, regardless which civilizazion you choose.

On the Xbox360, you can play the Earth map on Civ Rev, its available as a free DLC.
The only bad thing about the map, is that you always start at the same spot, regardless which civilizazion you choose.

And the same goes for the PS3 version.

Top Bottom