Several odd problems with my mod.

Talkie_Toaster

I toast, therefore I am
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me with several weird problems I'm having with my mod. It's adding about 14 Civs, including art and Dawn of Man speeches.

1. Only some of my custom art is loading, even though I've checked "Import into VFS" in modbuddy. All the Icons I've added work, but the Map, Diplo and Dawn of Man dss files don't load. The "Unable to load <file>.dds message pops up whenever it tries.

2. Only one of my Civilizations comes up on the main civ selection, it's the one that is alphabetically first by leader and hence the one that would appear first, I think, however I am able to load any civ by the advanced setup so this is not a gamebreaking issue.

3. Whenever I load up one of my custom civs my custom DoM speech doesn't play, but no error messages about the sound files appear. I've tried it with them both in and out of the VFS and neither seem to work.

The error logs don't seem to say anything about these issues to my untrained eye.

Just posting to tell anyone who might find this thread who has similar problems that I've solved the art issue - when creating dds files for civ it is vital that you save them in RGB format, when using GIMP this can be done from the Format dropdown menu while saving.

Hi Talkie Toaster,

I read in one thread that there is a bug with the 'setup game' screen when it comes to selecting the drop down box to choose a civ. Apparantly if you go via the advanced start button then the custom civs should appear in that subsequent screens drop down boxes. Atleast that was the reason my customc civ did not appear on the main setup game' screen.

As for sound, I have read numerous threads that state this is a no go and no matter what you try, you can only get existing DoW sounds to play. Have not looked into this personally but I will vote with the majority and say this is probably the case.

The problem with the selecting civilizations is linked to your UU, UB, and traits.

The UI will crash if you do not have at least two unique assets for your civilization. More than one may crash it, less than one will crash it. Also, you want to make sure your traits are defined correctly.

This should correct the select screen UI.

3. Whenever I load up one of my custom civs my custom DoM speech doesn't play, but no error messages about the sound files appear. I've tried it with them both in and out of the VFS and neither seem to work.

Adding sounds is impossible at this time.

Thanks to both of you, The problem was in fact the lack of unique assets, I hadn't added UBs or UUs for my civs as the game I am basing the mod on (Alpha Centauri) did not have those features. I guess I'll just have to excercise some creativity and think of some :D.

Thanks for the help.

With regard to the sound issue, would it be possible to circumvent by directly overwriting the sound files in the Civ 5 install? (After backing them up,, obviously). It's a total conversion of sorts so it should not interfere with gameplay, you'd just have to remember to change them back.

Top Bottom