SGOTM 14 - Team TNT

It is definitely a hub map. They are very popular in a MP society - I have played a lot of them. And unless heavy edited, they dont need astronomy to get to any part.

These maps are good for early conquest but if neilmeister edited the map to include an inaccessible island, then we have a more difficult game - meaning Astronomy would be required.

Come on, folks!

Is anyone going to play the next turn set? I can do it.

im ready yeah. I have been reading trough here, but was lost in quick deaity domination games sorry. Had the most fun with civ4 since ages. Those settings realy make you sweat to win. :)
I have read every post, but i still dont have good expiriance with this maptype, and multiplayer setups :( I would be happy with some pointers on Grand scheme of things, and than i can develop a micro managment setup...
I can play on sunday. 12-18 cet.

I'm still on the road without the game at hand but I'm remembering how in Civ3 you could use barbs to promote units. Is it possible for us to work around the barb city and continue REX (surround Philadelphia)? Maybe we can turn this to an advantage. Any ideas? Can we bait him to our advantage?

A priority will be getting the road to Atlanta and settling the spur. It's going to take a lot of turns but we need to connect. But biggest priority should be scouting. We need to explore the map, find the witches and Oz.

Our first targets have to be the closest witches west and south of our core.

Also, if fizban can't play til Sunday, could 2metra do 8 turns between? We really need to keep this game going.

Normally we would look at an early city loss as a detriment but I'd like to think we may have a chance to turn this into an advantage. If our (new) cities and culture surround the city, limiting it's space to only a few squares to keep the city at size 2 or 3, it can't build a lot, most likely axes and such. We'll need archers for cities, maybe archer and warrior. And must keep the north clear of barb cities or it could get nasty.

It might be possible to have them chase a worker as 'bait' or trick them to move into the open. The AI isn't too smart at the best of times. Maybe a few tests would be worthwhile if anyone has the time. An up to date test game of our core would be very helpful, especially with the barb city in place.

We need that lower road to build some axes. So settlers, workers and roads, then axes and horse archers to explore maybe? Research? We'll need construction soon and currency. Watch the AI for trades. As soon as that happens we must try to get alphabet.

@2metra - plan for one 8 turn set and fizban can play Sunday if everything is straight forward.

Any great ideas?

@ Ninja: you are welcome to take the turnset, lets speed things up. I will then go right after you.

Just a heads up: I'm immensely busy and will likely sit out of discussion for a week or two. I don't think I'll have a turnset in this timeframe, but if one comes up you may want to skip me.

I've been buried with surprising work these days, so did not had time for planning, nor playing. Tomorrow is Sunday - if Fiz can play, I will play my turnset after him as in the schedule.

ok.

Roster:

fizbankovi (up)
2metraninja (on deck)
Keath
justjohn
dima42 (just played)

Anyone else?

I want to build the pyramids with math chops, and pop rush overflow in capitol. First with a worker, then settler, then pop rush the currently almost ready archer. (With maths, we could go for hanging gardens also. (good engineer points.))
Hook up horses from atlanta
2 pop rush library in new York with good overflow.
EXPEND EXPEND EXPAND

I was a bit away from the game lately and maybe thats why I could not defend my idea of staying small and going for huge technological advantage. So standard expanding is not to my taste in this game, neither are the Pyramids.

The whole idea is to try some unorthodox approach to the game and win it in the shortest time possible. Sure, if we REX, we will win it no doubt, but it will come too late to be competitive with the other teams.

Anyway, i took the time to reproduce (to my best abilities) our starting location and I will try for this "stay small, tech big and kill early" tactic.

I am uploading the save so anyone can try different approaches and report about results.

Attachments

• TNT test7.CivBeyondSwordSave
    36.5 KB · Views: 50
we have soo nice land... expanding would realy pay off, and pyramids with stone is also high payback.. i dont know, ill wait until the others chip in.

Thanks for the test game, 2metra! :cool: I'll have a look and try an approach later.

I don't know about the Pyramids at this time. I'd like to know what others think but it would seem to me that building workers would be our best bang for the buck. There are six city sites that should get settled as soon as we can. And we can't forget about military. The barb city has axe men! :eek:

Getting a road to the Cu is pretty important so we need some culture in Atlanta -- monument or library? I'd say monument. And in the meanwhile, whatever we're doing in the core, we must explore every spur. Let's find the witches as a priority.

With all these important things - military, roads, scouts, workers and settlers, I don't see much of a window for Pyramids.

@ fizban - would you have time to try a test game going for the pyramids and if others try a different approach, we can compare?

well, not today anymore, no. I will do my best monday, thusday...

but usaly for me its always the weekend, so maybie i would pass untill next weekend, and metra could jump in until then?

I started a test game yesterday and will report tomorrow.

About playing a turnset, yes, I will try to write a strategy and then a plan. :)

I'm sorry, but I'm more busy this fall than I've ever been, and I'm not sure how much I will be able to participate for a little while.

Getting a road to the Cu is pretty important so we need some culture in Atlanta -- monument or library? I'd say monument.

A quick observation. In order to get Copper back to our main cities, we either need a road down to our copper city, or research Sailing. One of the two must be done. As for border expansion, I too say monument.

Guys, this game is not moving - I will take a look at it and if no one objects today, I will play 8 or 16 turns.

With my test game, I was able to get Bureaucracy capitol and 75 BPT abound 300BC, and then Liberalism around 1000AD WITHOUT any tech trades - and without much of a slaving, bulbing and MM at general - I was speeding trough the game.

What I did was stay with 3-4 cities, while working for very strong capitol with few key wonders - and Oracle of course to get quicker to Bureaucracy. It was tech/build fest till Liberalism. Then it is ~ 20 more turns to Cuirrasiers. With 7-8 size 15-20 cities and a lot of food/hammers/money the LB guarded AIs will have no chance.

This is what I propose we to implement in this game (of course much better mm-ed and taking in to account possible tech-trades with the AIs) and grab Domination well before 1500 AD :)

Top Bottom