SGOTM 20 - Fifth Element

Thanks Chris. I didn't know that. Enkage,

warrior is not on the road, so he moves NW
Thanks. I tested it. He needs to start on a road to get the additional move.

OK. That makes choosing the first move a bit easier.

Moved archer 2S. We found city ruins and 2 unpromoted warriors.
warrior 1NW, we see tundra forest hill, possible 2nd city spot
Scout 1NE and saved - we see a cow. 2 possibilities - 1SE to reveal shore, 1 NW to reveal another tile for possible livestock capitol. We need to decide :]

All religions prefounded in unknown cities, all with different spread ratio - barb cities?
No surprises with world wonders, corpos and projects prebuilt.
Demo screen with soldiers can help with estimating rivals if someone is fluent with it (best 20000, worst 10000, avg 13 777, so all rivals have together 124k).
Screenies
https://imageshack.com/i/mszjanj settings
https://imageshack.com/i/nl17co2j demo
https://imageshack.com/i/n63n2d9j religions
https://imageshack.com/i/mv0xtgj land

Initial thoughts
1) No presettled rival cities, otherwise it will be visible on demo screen
2) Mapmaker messed a little with starting units or techs. Normally on immo AIs start with 3 archers and that gives 9000 soldiers. Hunbting is 2k, archery 6k, so the weakest AI should have at least 17k soldiers in demo screen. That can be modified by starting techs: wheel is + 4k, mining is +2k or vice versa xD. Normally the difference between the weekest and strongest AI should be 6k, not 10k, so we cannot even assume AIs start with the same units :]
But we can guess there is Mansa in game (+6k soldiers for starting techs, +1k for every skirmisher as it is worth a little more than usual archer) if all civs start with the same number of warriors/archers. I suspect mapmaker deleted archery from civs and changed 1 archer into warrior or whatever :p

To do:
Vote if we are more interested in the coast (better know if we will block any seafood, maybe settlimg for triple seafood possible or inland tile in possinble BFC of the capital settled 1N for cow + doublesheep and silver

2) testing environment to finally choose between the shore and inland livestock

3) settle xD

If I was an evil map-maker I'd have a barb trireme off the coast and probably surround us by mountains and sea. I'd put barb holy cities on hills with a couple of LBs. Not everyone is as nasty and spiteful as I am however.

In the very short term I'd move scout SE to see the sea.

I agree with pigswill. SE seems a good choice. I'm really afraid that our seafood will be pillaged before it is useful. Still leaning towards an inland capital

I don't think we can assume a barbarian trireme off the coast ready to pillage. I think we should just test with what we can see. We'll test out various scenarios and see what yields the best results.

Not assuming anything. It could be a galley or an ironclad but I'll bet there will be something.

Looking at the demo screen you posted seems that there aren't presettled capitals and that all the holy cities are barbs.

No coast, please, let's try to find the best possible inland spot and reserve the coast for later.

I like that silver in the capital

Hah, everyone proposes diffrent direction, I like 1 SE to te coast to make sure we dont block any seafood if settle 1E:]
1 NW reveals 3 forest tiles including 2 forest tiles for a possible capitol 1N. We already have 2 resources put on the forest so maybe there is another one
1 NE reveals the most, but not the tiles useful for cap placement.

The problem with settling 1N would be that we must go strictly towards AHusbandry and BW both. It is large map, so research is a little more expensive. Test environment first?

Vote
1|) 1SE
2) 1 NW
3) 1 NE
4) test 2 cities first

I see next time I should wake up 1 hour later :p More people online :p

Not assuming anything. It could be a galley or an ironclad but I'll bet there will be something.
Just like land barbarians, barbarian galleys follow certain rules. You are assuming that the mapbuilder added some kind of barbarian sea unit to pillage us at turn zero. It is possible, but unlikely. I don't think our decisions should be guided by such assumptions.

Test environment

For livestock - t14 worker ready, we are forced to AH, both AH resources far away from each other, so pasture around t18-19, 2nd pasture at least 6 or 7 turns later
For seafood - t10 workboat ready, with another 10 turns worker ready, so it is basically changing a pasture into seanets. 2nd option doeas not forces us into specific research, so 4 turns after worker is on, we can start chopping silvermine. Mining, BW, Pottery before we even reach BW in 1st option supposing we go AH Mine, BW

I am more into settling for seafood and even if on the fogged forest is a resource, there is a lot of time to improve it.
I prefer scout on the seashore hill 1 SE to reveal coastal tiles

Attachments

• test env.CivBeyondSwordSave
    47.6 KB · Views: 116
BSPollux, why did you mess up with starting techs/units? Bad boy -_-

Top Bottom