SGOTM 20 - Unusual SuspeX

Very well done. Deckhand will check the save as soon as he sees it, feel free to read the other threads now. I hope to see you in the lurker thread!

Congrats on a very nice game and a great victory!

see below :(

Wait a second!

I just checked the t181 save provided on the last page. In that save the holy city of christianity belongs to a french nation and you are not its overlord. This looks terribly as if you failed to fullfill one of the objectives.

Yikes - complete fail on my part. I forgot the ownership objective after not getting the spread and not being able to liberate to Nappy.

Sincere apology to entire team.

No problem SH, too much going on at the end. Just got the wrong Frenchman...

Still did well to get as much done as quickly as you did. :goodjob:

These are the checks I've done on all the final submissions:

Take control of the Religions! - Only you (or your vassals) may own a Holy City. - 3 owned, 3 Razed, 1 under free French control not met
Bring them together! - Each of your cities has at least two religions. - Met There are at least seventy temples in your cities. Each Great Prophet settled in your cities counts as four temples. - Temples = 67, settled Great Prophets = 1
Promote Equality! - You must adopt and stay in Free Religion upon learning Liberalism. - No Liberalism (don't even know Paper)
End the madness! - Each nation can only have one free leader. At least one leader of each nation has to be eliminated or be vassalized." - met, Free: 1 French, 1 English
Prove that you are a worthy ruler! - You win the game in any way but conquest. – Diplomatic (Religious) turn 181 1210AD
:thumbsdown:

One team hasn't finished. If they fail to meet all objectives, then you will get fifth place; else 6th. You don't have low score and so will not be getting the Wooden Spoons. Here is the relevant rule
Spoiler :
To be eligible for a medal, the team needs to meet all objectives.
Teams that don't meet all objectives will be ranked by date.
Wooden Spoons will go to team with lowest score.

If you don't meet all objectives, you are ranked below teams that do and it doesn't matter how many you did meet for ranking purposes. Objectives are irrelevant for determining Wooden Spoons, however you must submit a completed game (either you or AI has achieved victory).
:cry:

:aargh: You could have given it to Peter. :(
I just tested it.
This SG I learned that a civ will always take a city if it currently has less than four.
Bummer re Failed Spreads.

Too bad about that mistake, after all the hard work you've done SH. But it happens, and it seems we weren't even close to the laurels so let's not take it much to heart.

Yikes - complete fail on my part. I forgot the ownership objective after not getting the spread and not being able to liberate to Nappy.

Sincere apology to entire team.

Oh well... with all you had to think about, its almost a guarantee that we miss something. It was possible to gift to Peter, in 1170AD. So, our result can still be compared by finish date, even if it won't be official for laurels.

Still, a great job.:goodjob: I'm sure I could have set you up better for the finish if I had your eye for the requirements of AP, temples, missionary and pop balance. Should also have used espionage better to stall growth in France with poison water and revolts, pasture destruction, and other such mayhem. Hindsight 20:20.

Thanks everyone on the team for sticking it out and making important contributions. I agree we lost lots of ground by overbuilding units... but had we not had the English vassal situation, maybe we needed more than we ultimately needed. Still, it was a good game. Thanks to BSP for the map and Deckhand for the admin.:goodjob:

Too bad about that mistake, after all the hard work you've done SH. But it happens, and it seems we weren't even close to the laurels so let's not take it much to heart.

Yeah, as usual, it is the early turns where you win/lose laurels. Of course, you can lose laurels by failing at the endgame, but that has never really been our weakness. Took too long deciding on a strategy of Dom vs AP, and hedged too many bets early on to make whichever happen in the fastest possible way.

These are the checks I've done on all the final submissions:

Take control of the Religions! - Only you (or your vassals) may own a Holy City. - 3 owned, 3 Razed, 1 under free French control not met
Bring them together! - Each of your cities has at least two religions. - Met There are at least seventy temples in your cities. Each Great Prophet settled in your cities counts as four temples. - Temples = 67, settled Great Prophets = 1
Promote Equality! - You must adopt and stay in Free Religion upon learning Liberalism. - No Liberalism (don't even know Paper)
End the madness! - Each nation can only have one free leader. At least one leader of each nation has to be eliminated or be vassalized." - met, Free: 1 French, 1 English
Prove that you are a worthy ruler! - You win the game in any way but conquest. – Diplomatic (Religious) turn 181 1210AD
:thumbsdown:

One team hasn't finished. If they fail to meet all objectives, then you will get fifth place; else 6th. You don't have low score and so will not be getting the Wooden Spoons. Here is the relevant rule
Spoiler :
To be eligible for a medal, the team needs to meet all objectives.
Teams that don't meet all objectives will be ranked by date.
Wooden Spoons will go to team with lowest score.

If you don't meet all objectives, you are ranked below teams that do and it doesn't matter how many you did meet for ranking purposes. Objectives are irrelevant for determining Wooden Spoons, however you must submit a completed game (either you or AI has achieved victory).
:cry:

We avoid the Spoons again... so there is at least a small silver lining.:D (I am not one of those who would consider "any" prize better than no prize).

Yep, I was surprised why spreading religion had so low priority in most teams even though everyone agreed that late spread carried that risk.

A big reason to wait for this was because the shrines were auto spreading the religion. It was better to infect the cities which already had a religion. I think PR's major delay was to actually capture the HC cities.

Come on FE get this done. :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Yep, I was surprised why spreading religion had so low priority in most teams even though everyone agreed that late spread carried that risk.
If you look at the games, capturing the HC was late. Hard to spread religion early when you don't have any. :)

Well played.

Edit: I did read the whole thread now. =(

The HC's had high cultural defenses. You couldn't just send a couple of units there to just take them. Some required you to build Galleys to get to them others required long movements requiring Open Borders to get to, or conquering a neighboring civ.

This is also happening while we are trying to defeat at least one of each of the partners.

So was our decision to set the priority for the HC's over the Civs declaring on us, in our case, Catherine of Russia? :hmm:

:aargh: You could have given it to Peter. :(
I just tested it.
This SG I learned that a civ will always take a city if it currently has less than four.
Bummer re Failed Spreads.

Yup - Or could have just DoWed Louis and razed it after giving it to him. Multiple options, I just completely lost track of the HC ownership requirement after the second missionary spread failed and knew I had to get it off our hands. Was completely focused on the Temples, Votes, and 2 religions. Definitely a botch and an embarrassment. :cry:

Top Bottom