[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Phoenix Rising

Oooh new game.

The graphs for this game are very interesting.
We were ahead on cities early on.
We seem to be ahead on hammers per turn too.
Our population graph looks funny near the end when we pretty much decimated all our pop away to whip.
Same for our power graph as we deleted a lot of our units.

Just a bit unlucky as we forgot about those barb cities.

Excellent game Phoenixians!

We were patting ourselves on the back pretty hard until we opened up your thread, and then it became patting ourselves on the back of the head!

Going for the safe win with our super secret scheme seemed like a 100% Gold Laurel move.
Then it turned into a bleak blunder for a few days there when it appeared we lost by 1 turn.

Sossos' barbarians. :satan:

Amazing work figuring out +3 points on the Export-Imports.
And engineering a way to get -20% Trade Routes bonus in spy city.

We wrote off both feats as impossible to achieve, but your team did it anyway. :bowdown:

Last edited:
And engineering a way to get -20% Trade Routes bonus in spy city.
To be honest, I wasn't even aware that this was a problem that needed to be solved. :lol: When we decided to use Toku, I thought we'd get them automatically, since they are international and we have no other international trade routes available. Then I noticed we didn't have a route with his other city and got a bit worried. Gumbolt mentioned the sustained peace modifier, and I figured according to that we would get it after 25 turns of peace.

Getting first in imports/exports, while it was fun to figure out, I think it ended up as our downfall. To grab that first spot, we had to keep De Gaulle alive. With him alive, we needed very high power rating to cap Church. To get that power rating we whipped our empire to the ground and then we realized the pop problem...

We started thinking ~2 months into the game, well Elite did ;)
Agree that our start is something we can build up on, very happy with how quickly we captured cities.

So new game looks relaxed..7 cities, no new ones.
Not much war too (if any) with no city captures?
Think i can find time for that, while not playing much during summer often.

yes 7 cities should be less micro.

We'll call it a team effort on the trade routes. I really never like going with the theory you should have a trade route or you should get 100% for this advisor. With Civ 4 nothing is certain. Especially where maths and equations are involved.

We nearly got caught out on a few things this game. Military advisor, trade routes, import/exports, colonies and the culture trick.

Culture trick - None of the online guides tell you the inner tile of the city must have culture from one of your other cities.
Military advisor - Forgetting about 7 barb cities. Knowing it was 7 rather than 1 city was also an unknown which we should of figured out early on.
Import Exports - Working out ToA and coastal AI city was key for this.
Trade routes with AI - Lucked out on the peace modifier here. Had we looked in Toku city each turn we would of worked this out sooner.
Colonies - AI with 3-4 cities on a seperate land mass will 100% create a colony unless at war in the right conditions. One city is fine.

War wise this game was the classic lesson that cheaper faster units always works best. Especially with bombers. Those chariots really offered great value. Albeit CR3 swords worked well for Tokyo.

Our only other weakness might of been lack of awareness of tricks that can be used to scout map with bomber and colony culture trick. The bomber gave no real advantage to HS as they were slower on the conquest. The colony trick was a big advantage but I am not sure it gained them that many turns? Were also one of few teams not to use spreadsheets. Albeit not sure that would help as Mylene is very good on micro and planning without these. We should of also seen 1600 land and thought where is all the land?

Biggest strengths were micro of cities and awareness of codes to help solve issues.Also an element of common sense.

I really never like going with the theory you should have a trade route or you should get 100% for this advisor. With Civ 4 nothing is certain. Especially where maths and equations are involved.
Quite the opposite imo. Equations always yield the same result, the outcome is 100% certain as long as you know the exact equation and what numbers to plug into it (and no random numbers are called for). Problem is that there are still unknowns regarding how some equations work. Some things appear to still be unknown to the entire community, and there are probably a lot of things that have been discovered but I haven't picked up yet. I did learn a lot of new things during this game, next game I'll be able to tell many more things with 100% certainty. ;)

Top Bottom