1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM3 Rome - Team microbe

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, Jul 12, 2004.

1. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

How was that an insult???!

See, that's one of the reasons this game is no fun.

2. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

And no, after that last remark I have no interest continuing this game.

Scrap it.

3. gozpel

I'm funny in the right crowd.

Let's see:
    1. Barbslinger needs to recover from break-up - Understandable.

2. gozpel pops up every once a while, but most of the time buries himself under sand - Not understandable. (We don't all sit on IT-super-highways)

3. scout is probably also under water - Understandable

4. the game isn't fun as we'll probably lose - Understandable

4. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I'm fine with ending the game, but I didn't expect it to end in such a way.

That was a joke. Hey, you WAS offline for more than one week before your last turns, and for the past 3 days nobody replied to my inquiry.

I was not accusing anybody as I understand what RL is. I did put a smiliey this time, didn't I?

I don't know where all this anger came from. I never got mad when people made fun of myself.

5. gozpel

Being online is one thing and being online trying to open a browser window for days is another.

And put the smilies where they belong. If you jokes with me, then the smiley should've been after the sentence:
    2. gozpel pops up every once a while, but most of the time buries himself under sand :)

Like that.

Otherwise it's easily looked at as an insult. And you're not too frivolous with smileys anyhow, maybe time to practise?

I'm not angry with you, just annoyed. I'm sure you're a great bloke and I know you're a good player. Just learn to loosen up :)

We can continue to death in this game if you want to, but what's the point?

6. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

OK, I apologize for having made a bad joke.

You and I have played a lot of games and we have made fun of each other for quite a few times. It's not like I was joking with a stranger. What was so different this time?

I don't think smilies are that important as I always assume good intention of other people and assume others do the same, and overusing a lot of smilies looks silly to me (maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old). In this example instead of putting a smilliey at the end of every sentence (that would be 4 smillies!) I chose to put one (it's not like I actually thought or worried about it). I guess I'll have to learn the lesson. :)

7. ForTheEmpire

ForTheEmpire Warlord

Ignoring the exchange in unpleasantries and focusing back on the game and the situation of RL in a good portion of the team, I have no qualms about ending this game. Two weeks ago I would have wanted to finish the game to the death, but after seeing a few more teams lose, there is no shame in giving up I guess. And if anything, this game particular game brought out some negative emotions from a lot of people. I'm no peace advocating hippie, but anytime a game causes these sorts of reactions, then I think we should just end it. It'll save us time and allows to maintain some civility amongst us.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I completely agree with you. Tension arises from frustration. Let's just end it to avoid unpleasant things from happening again.

9. gozpel

3 out of 5. Cool, this is gooooooooooooooooooone. The sweatest loss ever.

Thank you FTE. Welcome in any of our SG's anytime, we would love to have your kind there :)

Grouphug anyone? :D)

I'll PM you microbe about some stuff.

10. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

I guess I have to shoulder the responsibility for the way this turned out. I picked the team, and chose the variant, and made the rules (badly).

I thought you guys would get on, and I suspect that if you had won the game easily, as you are all used to doing, then you would have got along.

I don't blame you for quitting, from the point of view of the competition, it's over. You would only be playing for the love of the game, and to test yourself in a genuinely difficult situation.

It was my intention that the variants for SGOTM would be difficult enough that some teams would always lose. But having constructed such a game it is reasonably clear that most people not only don't like losing (who does?), but actually find it unacceptable. For this reason, it will be some time before I provide such an extreme game, if ever.

11. gozpel

If you only had let us keep the frre workers....then....

12. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

mad-bax,

It's not really your fault. The main reason of quitting was barbslinger had to take a leave, the second person that had to do so in this game, and scout was fighting flood at home. We were just short of players. We could see in the past couple of weeks people were not active and probably losing interest. I personally don't mind losing, but we are in a position that even losing would take some time with this pace. The game just took longer than we expected.

I also want to apologize to you for having made some harsh comments on the game organization. I probably have to skip SGOTM4 but I wish that a success for everyone. :D

13. ForTheEmpire

ForTheEmpire Warlord

Will this offer be good 2 years down the line after I get back from Malawi? :D

Anyway, so even though scout is not present to voice his vote, looks like we are finished. I don't know whether we should be mourning or dancing, but whatever. It was fun when it was fun. Learned one valuable lesson from this game though: whenever you have eliminated only 1 AI out of 11 and behind 10 or so techs, methinks the variant has beaten the humans :rolleyes:

EDIT:
    Should have mentioned this already, but it was nice to have played this game with ya'll. What a way to start your sg career huh? :lol:

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Do you guys want to play an AWM game? I have never had AW experience except SGOTM1 (regent level, too easy) and this one (I think it's as hard or harder than AWE).

EDIT: I started Mic4 for a AWM game.

15. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Sorry I went AWOL team...RL got a little rough the last couple of weeks. I apologize for not keeping you informed.

Are we still in this?

16. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Hi Scout :)

Some of us were getting a little concerned.. it's been a bit quiet around here for a while. ;)

Glad to see you back. :)

17. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Thanks MB. Good to BE back. I see this one's on the brink... @Microbe, FTE, do you guys want to bring this one back to life?

18. ForTheEmpire

ForTheEmpire Warlord

Hey Scout, nice to know you're still up and running. I believe me, goz and microbe all agreed to call this one quits. Sorry if we made that decision with you not present, but judging from the last turn set, all we were accomplishing was postponing the inevitable and thought we leave this one to rest.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I thought this thread was dead. :)

Hi Scout, welcome back. I personally wouldn't have quit if we had had enough players, and now I think with SGOTM4 warming up everybody will like us better if we let it go. :)

That said, Gozpel and I are probably going to play a serials AW games, and you/FTE are very welcome to join. Mic4 has just started and no slot is left, but if you guys are interested, just let me know and we'll reserve a space for you in the next game.

To make sure you all read this I'll PM you guys.