Shift+5,6 cheat for .5 version of Civ: restored! (kinda)

tupi

Warlord
In the earliest retail version (.1) of CivDos there's a shift+5,6 cheat to reveal all map and to get some debug options. In .5 version of CivDos this flag still exists (its address: 0xd806), but it's always 0 and there's no way to change it. However all checks for this flag still in the game! You only need set it ON.

I myself prefer .5 version - it's more stable and challenging. But until today, there was no way for me to use shift+5,6 cheat in this version.

Below are instructions to restore this cheat in .5 version of the game. DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR CIV EXE FILE (with different name or in different place) BEFORE ANY HEX EDITING!

I replaced option to on/off sound with alt+V. Now game will switch the debug flag instead!

After patch is impemented, press alt+V to toggle cheat ON and OFF (message 'sound ON'/'sound OFF' still will be appeared, but sound switching will no longer work).

Perform next steps:

1) open civ.exe with any hex editor (don't forget to backup!)

2) find next byte sequence:
83 C4 04 F6 06 C0 19 10 (same with v.03 and v.04)
and replace marked in bold bytes to following:
83 C4 04 F6 06 06 D8 FF (same with v.03 and v.04)

3) find next byte sequence:
F2 03 81 36 C0 19 10 00 (in versions .03 and 04: EB 3C 80 36 C0 19 10 B8)
F2 03 81 36 06 D8 FF 00 (in versions .03 and 04: EB 3C 80 36 06 D8 FF B8)

4) run Civilization and enjoy!

EDIT: I created patch for JCivED (attached file). Enjoy! Save this file to 'patches' folder of JCivED. Then start JCivED, select Patch, then select your CIV.EXE (don't forget to backup before that!) and then apply CIV1_DEBUG_SWITCH patch. This patch also changes 'Sounds ON/OFF" messages to 'Cheats ON/OFF'. Works only for English version and only for .05 and .03 (but not for .04).

EDIT2: you can't interact with AI city screen like in .1 version. M.b. this functionality was patched out in later versions or game uses different flag for it.

Attachments

• patch201_debug_rev2.xml
    2.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Any particular hex editor you use?
I cannot recommend anything, because I myself not too concerned about what I'm using currently. I'm using XVI (very primitive, but also simple and fast) and HxD (this one is good). I have these editors installed from long, long time ago, and I got them literally after some google search. Probably there are many much better and professional ones, but I don't care, so I cannot be good help for you here. Google them instead by youself. If it's free, it's good enough I guess. Even better if it's open source.

Protip: if you want to open .exe from Windows Explorer and not from a hex editor, rename it first to other file extension (for example, .bin), and after the work is done rename it back or copy and rename this copy.

I cannot recommend anything, because I myself not too concerned about what I'm using currently. I'm using XVI (very primitive, but also simple and fast) and HxD (this one is good). I have these editors installed from long, long time ago, and I got them literally after some google search. Probably there are many much better and professional ones, but I don't care, so I cannot be good help for you here. Google them instead by youself. If it's free, it's good enough I guess. Even better if it's open source.

Protip: if you want to open .exe from Windows Explorer and not from a hex editor, rename it first to other file extension (for example, .bin), and after the work is done rename it back or copy and rename this copy.
Appreciated; just needed a starting off point!

Support for v.03 (en) was added.
EDIT: Oct 3, 2022: added support for v.04 (en).

Last edited:
EDIT: I created patch for JCivED (attached file). Enjoy! Save this file to 'patches' folder of JCivED. Then start JCivED, select Patch, then select your CIV.EXE (don't forget to backup before that!) and then apply CIV1_DEBUG_SWITCH patch. This patch also changes 'Sounds ON/OFF" messages to 'Cheats ON/OFF'. Works only for English version and only for .05 and .03 (but not for .04).

Just noticed this patch today, adding it to JCivEd codebase.

Very nice job @tupi, and thanks :)

Cheers

In the earliest retail version (.1) of CivDos there's a shift+5,6 cheat to reveal all map and to get some debug options. In .5 version of CivDos this flag still exists (its address: 0xd806), but it's always 0 and there's no way to change it. However all checks for this flag still in the game! You only need set it ON.

I myself prefer .5 version - it's more stable and challenging. But until today, there was no way for me to use shift+5,6 cheat in this version.

Below are instructions to restore this cheat in .5 version of the game. DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR CIV EXE FILE (with different name or in different place) BEFORE ANY HEX EDITING!

I replaced option to on/off sound with alt+V. Now game will switch the debug flag instead!

After patch is impemented, press alt+V to toggle cheat ON and OFF (message 'sound ON'/'sound OFF' still will be appeared, but sound switching will no longer work).

Perform next steps:

1) open civ.exe with any hex editor (don't forget to backup!)

2) find next byte sequence:
83 C4 04 F6 06 C0 19 10 (same with v.03 and v.04)
83 C4 04 F6 06 06 D8 FF (same with v.03 and v.04)

3) find next byte sequence:
F2 03 81 36 C0 19 10 00 (in versions .03 and 04: EB 3C 80 36 C0 19 10 B8)
F2 03 81 36 06 D8 FF 00 (in versions .03 and 04: EB 3C 80 36 06 D8 FF B8)

4) run Civilization and enjoy!

EDIT2: you can't interact with AI city screen like in .1 version. M.b. this functionality was patched out in later versions or game uses different flag for it.
Nice !

i will see for adapt this for the v0.05 french :)

thx for this great patch !

Support for v.03 (en) was added.
EDIT: Oct 3, 2022: added support for v.04 (en).
Tupi, do you know what flag(s) gets altered exactly? Or is it a call to a subroutine? Also, is this mod for packed or unpacked version?

Might be worth looking into this for OpenCiv1 @rahorvat it could, help with debugging!
Yes, I noticed this, I will look into it. It's a same codebase. My focus was on a prerelease version now. But I could easily dedicate any Key combination to this, if the thing is as simple as altering debug_flags field or calling a subroutine in CIV.

Last edited:
Tupi, do you know what flag(s) gets altered exactly? Or is it a call to a subroutine? Also, is this mod for packed or unpacked version?

Yes, I noticed this, I will look into it. It's a same codebase. My focus was on a prerelease version now. But I could easily dedicate any Key combination to this, if the thing is as simple as altering debug_flags field or calling a subroutine in CIV.

Huh, I noticed @Tupi mentioned address 0xd806, and it works! @Tupi thank you very much for this info. Ha, ha, a simple hack. I dedicated Alt + D key (as in Debug) to toggle this mode. 😁 🥳
Eh, I suppose I have to update now a Pre-Release version to include this... and, done 🙂

Last edited:
Top Bottom