Should battleships/destoyers be able to inflict damage on land units?

Should battleships/destoyers be able to inflict damage on land units ?

• Yes, like bombers do, (without risking damage to themselfs).

Votes: 113 76.4%
  • Yes, like artillery do, (with risk of beeing damage themselfs).

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • No.

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think they should be able to significantly damage units on the coast. I do think that they should get the "bombard" option when they are next to a ground unit that is fortified on the coast. The ship could reduce the bonus that the unit's fortification gives them via bombardment.

lysander said:
I don't think they should be able to significantly damage units on the coast. I do think that they should get the "bombard" option when they are next to a ground unit that is fortified on the coast. The ship could reduce the bonus that the unit's fortification gives them via bombardment.

I like this idea, it would give those destroyers something to do after a city's defenses have already been bombarded.

Well, both of the choices are wrong, so no way to really vote.

bombers can take damage.

Naval ships have long been used for shore bombardment, since at least 1640.

What we should have the counterbombard ability. If they battleship tries to bombard a city with artillery in it, the artillery will bomb back.

Rhandom said:
Crazy talk!

Naval Bombardment is the PREFERED method of wiping out military formations when the opportunity allows. A battleship or cruiser carries more destructive firepower than any artillery company (ignoring nukes, of course). Land weapons don't fire 16" shells. The largest commonly used field gun is a 155mm howitzer, which is about a 6" shell. Naval guns are extremely accurate (for artillery), have longer range, and carry more ammo.

The US Navy is currently working on a gun system with a 45 mile range specifically to allow ships to affect targets further inland.

Not to mention that most Naval ships can also carry cruise missiles, which have a range of hundreds or thousands of miles.

I remember in CIV3 using 2 destroyers to keep a small country from getting its only oil source. Every turn they would build a road to the oil source, I would bombard, this kept them from producing advanced units. In turn, this allowed me to build my advanced units and make a landing to fight weak non-oil units. On the other hand, I am open to try the new things CIV4 offers, will be interesting to see how I have to change my way of playing. You can bet I will use offshore bombardment to soften up a city before I attack it.

Top Bottom