Should I Go Up A Difficulty Level?

i agree with the guys up there ^

regent is even...

i used to be a regent guy, but i recently moved to monarch and i'm considering emperor soon ( i hear that's a big jump though...)

There are certainly elements of the game where it gets easier at higher levels. The AIs have more techs available to trade for one thing. Getting them off them is another matter but its nice to know they have them. I play a lot of Monarch and keep having a pop at Emperor, but its harder getting a good start. I do drop down to Regent to try out particular strategies, or even Sid if I'm feeling suicidal. Getting 5 towns and some luxuries at Sid, with buildings, before the AI swarms over me en masse is a confidence booster.

Don't out expand your military. All of your border cities need to be defended with the most up-to-date defensive units you have. England recently declared and invaded me with 81 units, but they didn't bother with any of my border cities since I had 4+ infantry in all of them. Then my tanks were able to kill all of them and their repeated attempts over the next 10 or so turns w/o them attacking any of my cities. It is also a good idea to fortify a defensive unit on all lux/resources near your borders.

You might want some of that Egyptian jungle when rubber and coal become available, so you should consider conquering them before the mid-industrial age. I've fought many wars over jungle just to get one of those resources.

Top Bottom