Should there be a requirement for the amount of turns played in a term?

Should there be a requirement for the amount of turns played in a term?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black_Hole

Deity
Should there be a minimum/maximum amount of turns required to be played by the DP for each term?

Note: This is not how many turns it should be(this has not been discussed heavily), but should there be a requirement or not.

Options:
Yes, there should be a requirement(There must be a certain amount of turns to be played, this # will be decided on later if this option wins)
No, there should be NO requirement(The DP is free to choose how much he/she will play in that term)
Other(I have no clue what though....)
Abstain

Discussion

This poll will be open for 7 days.

Examples
These are examples of what a requirement would be.

"60 Turns must be played each term"
"No more than 100 turns may be played each term"
"There must be atleast 10 turnchats a term"
"There can be no more than 18 turnchats a term"

My personal view:
There shouldnt be any requirements at all.
If you want someone to play 100 turns in a term, then get them elected.
Also this is almost impossible to enforce this, it would be the end of the term before we know if a leader broke the law, then what can we do... impeach them from an office they have already left?

Other -- there should be a requirement based on how often game play sessions are held. The number of turns to play in a session, and therefore in a term, is too dependent on in-game conditions to set any limit based on number of turns.

DaveShack said:
Other -- there should be a requirement based on how often game play sessions are held. The number of turns to play in a session, and therefore in a term, is too dependent on in-game conditions to set any limit based on number of turns.

I agree with DaveShack. The purpose of turn minimums is to ensure that enough progress is made in a given period to ensure continued interest in the game. Having a minimum of playing sessions in a term assured this progress without conferring an arbitrary number of turns to be played.

I think this question should have been worded differently, such as including requiring a minimum, maximum, both, or none at all. Now, I would like to see a minimum requirement. Granted, it could bite us if we had a term that had a bunch of FA events like meeting new civs, wars starting, etc.

Chieftess said:
I think this question should have been worded differently, such as including requiring a minimum, maximum, both, or none at all. Now, I would like to see a minimum requirement. Granted, it could bite us if we had a term that had a bunch of FA events like meeting new civs, wars starting, etc.
I grouped them together because there was very large support for not having a requirement... If people do want a requirement then we can discuss that and poll again

Basically if you want anytype of requirement vote yes

I do not see how a minimum could be enforced. As for a maximum, in my present RaR Demi-God game on a large map, industrial age, being involved in a war with the second largest civ, I spent almost an hour playing two turns.

There could be something like 10 turns if at war, x turns if y is happening.
Solution: a president has 20 points to play in turns;
war(late) = -1 p
war(early) = -.75p
peace(early) = -.5p
peace(late = -.75

What if there was a set number of days the term lasted. One person would control it for two weeks, and then we'd all have an equal share at a term.

YNCS said:
I do not see how a minimum could be enforced. As for a maximum, in my present RaR Demi-God game on a large map, industrial age, being involved in a war with the second largest civ, I spent almost an hour playing two turns.

Try Rhye's of Civilization mod, it'll be much faster :)

I voted for no requirements, but if there was perhaps an option for minimum turns, I would have voted for that. Bottom line is, vote for the person who will best represent your wanted pace in elections!

blackheart said:
Try Rhye's of Civilization mod, it'll be much faster :)

I voted for no requirements, but if there was perhaps an option for minimum turns, I would have voted for that. Bottom line is, vote for the person who will best represent your wanted pace in elections!
ummm minimum turns is included in requirements...
it would be required that a minimum amount of turns would be played in a term

Blackheart said:
Try Rhye's of Civilization mod, it'll be much faster

It wasn't the mod that was slow, it was me. I had to make a series of decisions, all affecting each other, and a lot of city micromanagement.

Chieftess said:

That's exactly why there should be no requirement, CT. If people can't sustain interest through times that require key discussion, I suggest we name ourselves ADD Nation.

Donovan Zoi said:
That's exactly why there should be no requirement, CT. If people can't sustain interest through times that require key discussion, I suggest we name ourselves ADD Nation.

But if we were ADD, then who would vote in the polls? :crazyeye:

blackheart said:
But if we were ADD, then who would vote in the polls? :crazyeye:

Of course we would. OHHH OOOHHHHHH SHINY THING!!! SHINNNYYYYY THIIINGGGGSSSS!! :p

-- Ravensfire

Rik Meleet said:
I'd like to have turnchats on a fixxed ay; let's say Saturday. That overcomes a lot of problems.

Except for people who work, or possibly have a social life ;)

Rik Meleet said:
I'd like to have turnchats on a fixxed ay; let's say Saturday. That overcomes a lot of problems.
well you know what i would say ;)
if you want a DP that plays on saturdays get one into office :D

Good poll BH, in that you put an Other option in it. This is another good attempt at collecting information. Knowing the situation at hand and keeping up with the discussions, I would automatically vote "No Restrictions". But... I firmly believe in the 10 turn limit per T/C, with the few extra turns allowed for special circumstances. The amount of T/Cs per week should be limited to two, unless the is an "online pre-turn move" to determine an outcome needed for a decision (you know what I mean). These are the basic structures of a Turn Chat. All other tweaking is up to the President/DP. There should be no minimum, as the T/C can be ended at the President's discretion. People who want to play 15+ turn T/Cs should be kept in stockades far from any computer. :D

I was going to vote no restrictions, thinking no minimum, but then I read Cyc's comment and this is exactly how I feel about it. Max 10 turns per session, with a few extra allowed for special circumstances - the circumstances used should always be clearly stated so we know why play continued: eg: to complete current tech research to locate new resources.

Top Bottom