Should there be magic/mythology in the next game?

the Wendigo
Every Cree I've asked here in Edmonton (which isn't many I've pestered with the question, mind, but includes my long-term girlfiend, and her elder sister) say Wendigo is an insult of some sort, used in a taunting way, and seems to have lost the image, at least to some, the antlered, bipedal, heart-eating, vengeful monster lurking at night in heavy snowstorms.

Germanic in its most common origin, most likely - likely originally tied to Odin/Wotan. Though versions exist across Europe.

But as I alluded to in one of my posts last page, the Wild Hunt has has time over the centuries to blossom into a whole tree of highly divergent story, one of which is the French-Canadian Chasse-Gallerie or Flying Canoe (which isn't always about a canoe, though that's the most common form).

Heck, there's a strong case that Santa and his sleigh (and the reindeers) are also a form of the Wild Hunt, since there's a good case that Sinterklass incorporated many elements of Odin/Wotan in his Christian guise of Saint Nicholas, so once again we have Odin/Wotan racing through the sky in the night accompanied by his assistants, this time to bring gifts.

Germanic in origin, most likely - likely originally tied to Odin/Wotan.

But as I alluded to in one of my posts last page, the Wild Hunt has has time over the centuries to blossom into a whole tree of highly divergent story, one of which is the French-Canadian Chasse-Gallerie or Flying Canoe (which isn't always about a canoe, though that's the most common form).

Heck, there's a strong case that Santa and his sleigh (and the reindeers) are also a form of the Wild Hunt, since there's a pretty strong case for Sinterklaas combining elements of Saint Nicholas and Odin/Wotan, so once again we have Odin/Wotan racing through the sky in the night accompanied by his assistants, this time to bring gifts to the deserving.
Here comes Santa Claus, here come Santa Claus, about to SLAUGHTER INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO SEE HIM.

That brings a new twist to Santa Claus, huh?

Also off topic, in 12 days Mariah Carey will start blasting in all of your supermarkets and will continue to until January 6.

Not all variants of the wild hunt are about slaughtering the innocent people who see it XD.

Not all variants of the wild hunt are about slaughtering the innocent people who see it XD.
Yeah, I was recalling the one about Odin XD

Yeah, I was recalling the one about Odin XD
Though, it is long held that children who say up and watch their window and see Sinterklass/Saint Nicholas/Ded Moroesz/Santa Claus/Father Christmas do not get gifts...

Back in 1997, Civ2 got an expansion pack known as "Fantastic Worlds." Even though it was an expansion to the base game, the content focused on scenarios which were basically total conversion mods. The scenarios I played most were "Age of the Dinosaurs" where -- yes, you guessed it, all the units were dinosaurs -- and "Atlantis", where the Atlanteans were a playable civ. Expansion was key, because a catastrophic event destroyed your capital and any close-in cities. Others are described here: https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Civilization_II#Expansion_packs
My point is that the Civ franchise has dealt with magic, mythology, and sci-fi topics before: either as optional scenarios (Civ2) or optional game modes (Civ6). One could make the case that Beyond Earth -- a spinoff game -- was another way to deal with sci-fi concepts in Civ5.

I would be happy with any of those methods returning. My preference would be a spin-off game that uses an existing game engine (either Civ6 or Civ7), since it would leverage the console ports and make these sci-fi / fantasy elements available to more players.

Top Bottom