Should this GOTM stay alive?

Should the GOTM for Civ2 stay alive?

• Yes! I like to play it (now and then).

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • Yes, but only if there are a reasonable amount of participants.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Yes. Not that I'll play it though...

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • No. Civ2 is dead.

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
Option #2 means that we might have to make the games take two months. Also, when voting for option #2, please state how many is "reasonable".

If you don't care, don't vote.

I think it a reasonable number of participants would be 12. I would prefer if it spanned only one month, but if it must go to two months in order to continue, then so be it.

I will not be playing Civ 3 gotm for now as it is so slow, I'm not sure how much of this is as a result of the change in game and how much is as a result of trying to play on a PII 400, but it takes forever.

ferenginar

I have voted for the first option.
Let our GOTM stay alive and within one month!:yeah:

IMHO I think that 10 people are enough for playing the GOTM. Especially since most of us are NOT one-time players. So keep the medals, too. It´s not that the quality of the top results has decreased drastically.
NOL´s finish in GOTM11 is almost equal with Shadowdale´s effort in GOTM4 and Smash and myself didn´t do too bad either. The medals are really nice and I think we should keep them!:goodjob:

We should also remember that GOTM11 was on Deity level, it was Christmas and New Year, so many people didn´t have enough time or didn´t give it try at Deity!
So let us not take GOTM11 as a reason to disband Civ2 :love: !

I´ll continue playing the Civ2-GOTM as long as there are at least 2 other competitors!:p

I've never actually submitted a GOTM - this will change this month when I will try and submit for both CivII and CivIII.

I did play the GOTM for CIV III last month, but didn't finish it in time...

To be completely honest, I was put off the last GOTM for Civ II because it was a Diety game - I've never really got anywhere on Diety (I win about 60% on Emperor).
I guess I should try anyway.

With fewer players, I think it becomes a tricky issue. I would believe that it would be the 'better' players who would still enjoy the civ II gotm, so you have to balance challenging them with making the game accessible. Eg. I find chieftan and warlord games a bit dull. Is this the case with Prince and King games for better players?

Ok, i take a few months off to learn CivII and look what happens. As soon as I stop playing, the whole thing goes downhill. Looks like I'm gonna have to start playing from now on. :)

I say we play a few games at prince level or maybe even warlord to encourage the novice players to step up the bar on their game and give them a real chance to compete. Please, leave the civII gotm alive. I'll play, I promise!!!!!!!!!!

"ok i take a few months of to learn civII..."
I meant to say civIII. I already know civII but the forums are not allowing edits!!!! <-- UPDATE: It's working now, strange.
Matrix: Since when? There must be some other problem.

I suppose that 10 players is minimum - if there is less then 10 for 2 monthes thats time to close - but I hope it doesn't happen.
:goodjob:

I'd like to see it continued as I've only just discovered this forum..

Please note though that because the numbers have dipped, suspect everyone is playing civ3, then people will also be visiting this forum less often so hence the only people voting will be the ones who are still playing GOTM for civ2 and of course we still want it.

under 10 for 2 months then kill it.

Even Civ3 was awarded the best strategy game of 2001, I still love Civ2 little more. The reason is Civ2 is my best collection of Computer Game when I was a college boy. I really love it, please leave it as it is.

I haven't praticipated in the last two GotM's, but I will submit this one, and I intend to submit all of the future GotM's. I have returned from being absent! And I smell an oppurtunity for a higher ranking!

I just wanted to encourage everyone who is visiting this forum to participate in the Civ2-GOTM and tell his friends to do so, too!:yeah:

When I look at the number of views (~100) of this thread in the last 2 days I come to the conclusion that additionally to the ~15 voters there is at least the same number just viewing this thread.
So EVERYONE: PLAY the GOTM!

If everyone who is interested would play we could easily have >30 participants.
Don´t be afraid of not so good scores or high difficulty levels. There is so much info at this site that everyone should be able to win.:king:

I also have a small suggestion. :scan:
Why don´t we allow people to retire sooner when they come dangerously close to the submission deadline? I don´t think it would be unfair to other people and if everybody would only retire if he can´t finish in time (being honest ;) ) instead of when he is losing, it wouldn´t disrupt the results either!

We already have 14 who say they will play at least now and then. That's over the highest minimum suggested, 12, so lets keep it going. Expanded to two months so more people can play, of course :D This may be overkill, but I think I'll start a poll from the other side of the question. Many people want it kept to one month, but how many of them would keep playing anyway if it were expanded to two months? If we keep everyone we have and pick up a few who wouldn't otherwise, why not switch to twom months?

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
I'll always try to play the GOTM no matter how many people are playing it.
YES! Me too! But I need at least 2 other fellow Civ2-GOTM players.:D
For the other medals!:rotfl:
If needed, I'll help out with maintaining it if Civ 3 becomes too big.
I would also be willing to help out!:goodjob:

Many people want it kept to one month, but how many of them would keep playing anyway if it were expanded to two months? If we keep everyone we have and pick up a few who wouldn't otherwise, why not switch to twom months?
NO!:cry:
Keep it a GOT(1)M! Please!
As discussion is a big part 2 months would be too much to remember smaller but important details!
Lets have smaller maps with less landmass from now on! And for the people with really little time for playing an option to retire earlier if needed!
We are here at CivFanatics after all, so let´s behave like one!:p
I probably would keep on playing but I think 2 months would be the death to the Civ2-GOTM.:skull:
As already stated, discussion is a really fun part of the GOTM and this would become boring during 2 months. Then the game itself would be less interesting and eventually we would lose more people after the first 2 GOT(2)Ms than we could gain initially!

I can only speak for myself, but while I have downloaded every single Civ II GoM since I discovered this site a few months ago, I have only actually submitted one. The reason is, simply put, that in the last three months I cannot recall the GoM dropping below Emperor level.

I will freely admit that I don't spend that much time playing games, and as a result I am completely outclassed at the two highest levels. Even King level (which I have only just now tried) gives me quite a run for my money.

It seems to me that I am not the only casual player who reads this site. Perhaps if the difficulty level alternated between easy and difficult you'd see more casual players entering.

Best regards to all,

Robert Marks

Well Garwulf, most people wanting to participate with the GOTM are able to play these levels. That's perhaps a bit hard to say. Well, anyway the idea is we want to vary it as much as we can. So sorry if most of the games were on a high level. But next one will be easier. ;)

But it looks very much like the GOTM will keep existing. :goodjob:

I discovered GOTM only month ago (and this will be the first game I'll send), so don't stop it just now...

I don't have your experience, but my opinions are these:
- Two months are long. People (maybe not all, but especialy new ones) will stop playing. It's clear that CivII GOTM will end once, but if prolonged to two months, it will be earlier.

- Keep it around Emperol level. I'm not looking forward to play easier levels. Maybe sometimes, but not very often. And try to choose faster games.

I sugest a compromise: just push the deadline from the 5th to the 20th.

The new thing will be that we will have GOTM13 on the 3rd or something, so there will be a little overlapping, but what's the problem???;)

So everyone is happy: longer time to play each GOTM, still a a new game each month.:D

Top Bottom