Sim City 4 alternatives

stfoskey12

Emperor of Foskania
I bought a Windows 8.1 laptop recently, and the problem is that Sim City 4 will not run properly on it. It has graphics glitches that I could not fix when changing the settings. So I was wondering if there are any good alternatives to Sim City 4 that will run well on Windows 8. Plus, Sim City 4 has been getting boring for me lately, though I still like the idea of city building games.

Sim City 2000 maybe? SC4 isn't a big fan of Windows 7 either :/

Sadly there is still barely any real competition to Sim City. Tropico is good but its not that great of a city builder, and Cities XL has lots of its own issues.

Sim City 3000 perhaps? It's 2D rather than the sorta-3D that Sim City 4 is, so there's a decent chance that the graphics issues you're having won't be there. And while there are certainly differences, the two games are pretty similar in the end. You'll miss a few features from SC4 (funding power plants, areas of affect for schools and hospitals, some of the road options), but gain a few new toys (technological progression over time, desalination plants) instead.

The trouble with Banished is that, once you master it, there isnt that much left to do.

Anno 2070 might not be your classic citybuilder, but its really good

If you aren't too distracted by old graphics, Caesar city-building series was quite good
Also if you want to build but not necessarily cities, Transport and RollerCoaster Tycoon are also quite decent.
Sadly I don't know any recent decent city-building games....

With the difference that their might be missions, or different settings or different goals. Not in Banished

...except for all the mutually exclusive achievements.

The game doesn't force you to do them all, but there are different objectives you can play for.

With Banished the main achievement is to survive the winter.

Gotta love a barn or market fire in autumn. The game is basically telling you people are going to die.

Gotta love a barn or market fire in autumn. The game is basically telling you people are going to die.

Worst feeling in the game is when late fall hits and then you get a notice food stocks and firewood are low; and you know 1/2 of your town is going to starve or freeze to death... and there is nothing you can do. :(

What about anno series, I know it is a bit different since you need to provide your peoples needs and those increase as they gets to next level. Last game was Anno 2070, but I like more Anno 1404.

Cities XL is a nice experience close to Sim City, but suffers from terrible performance once the city gets larger. The version I played must have had a memory leak or something, because it became more or less unplayable when I had filled up half a map. Devs didn't seem to care, though and just re-released the game several times again with only minor changes (and still terrible performance issues): It also lacks heavily in regards of sound or immersion (no effects, rather boring music, no persons rendered). Would not recommend it unless you get it very cheap.

Tropico is a quite nice city builder if you want to build up a carribean island in a banaa republic as El Presidente. The series is rather iterative, but if you have never played any of the old parts you probably won't notice. Nice mix of economic and political management, with some humor mixed into it. Very flavorful music and nice radio station announcment add quite a bit to the immersion.

Banished is a game I can highly recommend. Much smaller scope (more of a town builder than a city builder), but each person is modelled in detail. like SC4 it is a tough nut to crack, but not that challenging once you have figured it out. Graphics and sound are only "okay-ish", but the fact that you have seasons and people running around makes for a very nice immersion factor. Oh, and, did I mention it is basicially a 1-man project (2 if you count the music)? Great!

Anno offers some nice city building, combined with a heavy focus on production chains and logistics. One thing I really like about the series are the graphics (they are just amazing) and the AI opponents (who will frequently talk to you and make remarks on your situation, tauning or admiring you). If you want a medieval setting get 1404, if you are a fan of Sci-Fi give 2070 a shot. I was quire reserved about the latter, but once I got it during a sale I was hooked pretty quickly, because it had lots of cool improvements and ideas. One thing that is terribad though: U-Play DRM. Argh!

Top Bottom