Simple question about power cords

p dandy

Prince
Hi all,

Are all computer power cords interchangeable or is it dependent on the watts of your computer power supply? I don't want to reuse my old computer's cord if that is the case.

Thanks

They're all the same, any voltage / ampère adaptions are made by the PSU, not the power cord.

Chairman Meow said:
If you're talking about desktop computer power cords, then they are interchangeable. Laptop power cords are occasionally not interchangeable.

True, that's because there's an adaptor in the middle. And usually you plug a standard desktop cord into the adaptor, which is plugged into the laptop. Don't use different types of adaptors for laptops.

All of the laptops I have access to, and it's considerable, don't use a standard power cord from the wall to the adapter.

And it's also been my experience that some HP desktop cords are compatible with Toshiba Laptops. :crazyeye:

True, that's because there's an adaptor in the middle. And usually you plug a standard desktop cord into the adaptor, which is plugged into the laptop. Don't use different types of adaptors for laptops.

Depends entirely in the laptop model. The type of plug that the brick takes is generally standard for a particular company (most of the ones I've seen won't take a standard D plug). Bricks OTOH vary from laptop to laptop and tend to have entirely different output specs.

Top Bottom