Suggest specs for a new computer :)

You will run out of space, eventually. No such thing as enough space :).

Maybe you'll fancy some new game or a program, or AI tool. Photos, videos. Having plenty of space is a nice perk, if you can make it work.

You know better how and if you're going to use the extra space.

So like has been argued here get it as a second normal HD with 1TB and you're fine for backup and storage.
This is an option too later, but 512gb SSD should be fine for now. You just never want your harddrive to get close to full. Not sure the exact ideal number, but I'd say you want at least 10-15% free space always - someone may have better numbers. Point is that the harddrive is also used for virtual memory, so a full drive is not good.

So, is the new one I posted better or worse than #2? (included specs of #2 in the end of my post :) )
(sorry for tagging you again, @EvaDK , you just seem to know what you are talking about :D So pls compare the two I posted in #28 if you don't mind...)

Definitely a downgrade; that i3 CPU will become a bottleneck for your system. Never go too cheap on the CPU. I would stick with the Ryzen 5. Also gets less hot than corresponding Intel CPUs, which means better performance and less fan noise from your PC.

@Moriarte actually made an excellent point with the video RAM of the graphics card; it might actually be worth sticking with the cheap 16GB RAM solution and a 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD, if that gives you just enough money to upgrade from the GTX1650 to a GTX3050. I have 8GB video RAM in my GPU. In that configuration, the closest to a future bottleneck you have is the SSD, which can be solved by installing a secondary SSD later. You can't solve the CPU or GPU becoming the bottleneck, unless you replace them entirely with better performing parts.

One thing to consider: if the dealer offers a better 'silent' 120mm CPU fan for something like $5-10 extra, I'd take it. ;)

Definitely a downgrade; that i3 CPU will become a bottleneck for your system. Never go too cheap on the CPU. I would stick with the Ryzen 5. Also gets less hot than corresponding Intel CPUs, which means better performance and less fan noise from your PC.

@Moriarte actually made an excellent point with the video RAM of the graphics card; it might actually be worth sticking with the cheap 16GB RAM solution and a 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD, if that gives you just enough money to upgrade from the GTX1650 to a GTX3050. I have 8GB video RAM in my GPU. In that configuration, the closest to a future bottleneck you have is the SSD, which can be solved by installing a secondary SSD later. You can't solve the CPU or GPU becoming the bottleneck, unless you replace them entirely with better performing parts.

One thing to consider: if the dealer offers a better 'silent' 120mm CPU fan for something like $5-10 extra, I'd take it. ;)
Unfortunately the only ready builds they have, add 200 euros for the better (8gb) card. And that's simply too big a price hike :/ 900 euros would no longer be a "budget" pc.

Are you checking online vendors?

Unfortunately the only ready builds they have, add 200 euros for the better (8gb) card. And that's simply too big a price hike :/ 900 euros would no longer be a "budget" pc.

I understand. :)

That's screwed up though; the price difference here between a GTX 1650 4GB and a GTX 3050 8GB single fan card, can be roughly 100 Euros - both from Asus.

I keep seeing "500GB SSD NVMe" on your builds. I can't overemphasize this though - you gotta go bigger. It's not a "major" investment. It's probably the cheapest upgrade you can do. Video card, CPU, cores, etc., likely to be much more expensive. But the one you will feel the crunch on the quickest is hard drive space. And it's a pain to try to upgrade it later.

Going from 500GB to 1 TB is roughly (just looking at Amazon, which I wouldn't advise, but is quick research) is like $50 USD to I dunno, $50 (those are the results I get, literally no real difference). 2 TB is around $109-$129. So, no matter what, the best +$60-$70 you can sink into this is a bigger, 2TB Hard Drive. Now, you can look around for "oh, this one transfers data better than that one" & I can't really speak to that (I know the basics: "NVMe is better" - but better than what? I dunno), but you won't run out of RAM in the next few years, you won't run out of GPU in the next few years, but you will run out of Hard Drive space in the next few years.

I just want to say thanks for the thread. I dreamed few nights ago of upgrading my desktop computer, but it seemed way too much - 700-900 euros just to play some new RTS games like Civ 6.

Good luck and I hope you find some discounts!

I just want to say thanks for the thread. I dreamed few nights ago of upgrading my desktop computer, but it seemed way too much - 700-900 euros just to play some new RTS games like Civ 6.

Good luck and I hope you find some discounts!
Thanks! To you too :D
I keep seeing "500GB SSD NVMe" on your builds. I can't overemphasize this though - you gotta go bigger. It's not a "major" investment. It's probably the cheapest upgrade you can do. Video card, CPU, cores, etc., likely to be much more expensive. But the one you will feel the crunch on the quickest is hard drive space. And it's a pain to try to upgrade it later.

Going from 500GB to 1 TB is roughly (just looking at Amazon, which I wouldn't advise, but is quick research) is like $50 USD to I dunno, $50 (those are the results I get, literally no real difference). 2 TB is around $109-$129. So, no matter what, the best +$60-$70 you can sink into this is a bigger, 2TB Hard Drive. Now, you can look around for "oh, this one transfers data better than that one" & I can't really speak to that (I know the basics: "NVMe is better" - but better than what? I dunno), but you won't run out of RAM in the next few years, you won't run out of GPU in the next few years, but you will run out of Hard Drive space in the next few years.
Iirc it is even less here (something like 20 euros), so yes, I may just buy that. Although up to now my disk space was less than 100 GB, which is why I remain a bit sceptical that I will need more than half a terra.
Still, I know that 3d modelling files get fast quickly - then again, you'd need entire 3d movies for such. But I will try to get 1000 GB.

I will be buying a new computer, and while it won't be cutting edge tech, I mean it to at least have been good tech for (say) 5 years ago. So pls suggest cpu and computer card power (and anything else you think is crucial) :)
Basically I want it to be running all non-super needy programs without issue, but certainly don't care about zero-day games or such.

Budget is ok, but due to to differences in market value I don't really feel like focusing on that here.

Oh, another thing: ideally I will be buying a small cpu - the tabletop cpu, not the tower. Already have a screen and other peripherals.

A small computer? Hmm

I'd say a Ryzen 5 processor of some sort.
Intel puts out a lot of heat.

Hard drive?
The sweet spot right now looks like the 1TB Samsung 980 pro for $60 US.
NVME PCIE4.0 does not have major heat issues like the newer PCIE5.0

RAM probably 16GB of DDR 4
The cheap standard ones, not the expensive overclocked and low latency ones.

Video card?
Something like the regular Nvidia 3060.

A reliable power supply is very important also.
Something bronze certified is fine.

$700 Euros is about $740 USD.

Ryzen 5 + small motherboard is $200? (Hopefully with a free CPU fan)
Power supply $50
Case $50
16GB RAM $40
1TB Samsung Pro hard drive $60
Windows $100
3060 video card $250

$750 plus 10% tax $825?

Hmm, the time to put it together costs money too.

Not sure where I'd cut back. :dunno:

3060 might be too much video card.
It needs a 600 watt power supply I think, and bigger power supplies are always more expensive.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom