jamiethearcher

President of Canmerica!
anyone use this neato communications service? it now allows you to call peoples phones from your computer for free! you can also call anyone else with the skype system.

I have noticed that the voice clarity is much better in skype-to-skype calls than in skype-to-phone calls, but its still pretty neat.

If anyone wants to try it out, go to www.skype.com

If you want to try out a skype-to-skype call, pm me and ill give you my skype contact info!

EDIT: apparantly, its only free calls to the US and Canada.

Never heard of such a thing.

I used skype for years and its ok. The best VOIP is Vonage. While not free its quality is 10k Xs better then Skype. If you can get your mates and family to get skype too its realy worth it.

skadistic said:
I used skype for years and its ok. The best VOIP is Vonage. While not free its quality is 10k Xs better then Skype. If you can get your mates and family to get skype too its realy worth it.

I have been considering switching my landline over to vonage for some time now. Would you recomend it? what problems have you had with vonage? you mention it has better quality than skype, but how does it compare to a real phone?

jamiethearcher said:
I have been considering switching my landline over to vonage for some time now. Would you recomend it? what problems have you had with vonage? you mention it has better quality than skype, but how does it compare to a real phone?

Do it!! Its not much diffrent then a "real" phone save the rediculosly lower cost. I get some odd things happen like a conection not going both ways ie. i can here you but you cant here me. But a simple redial solves that. Echos in some cell phones but that could be the cells problem I'm still looking in to that. Call centers think your in New Jersey, I love that. If your cable goes out so does your phone :( Those are the cons I've seen so far.

Pros:
CHEAP!!!!!!!! I cut my phone bill by more then half. And thats the $28 plan ($24 + other fees)
Free long distance any where in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico
NO TELLAMARKETERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Realy cheap International calls.
Cheap cheap cheap.

skadistic said:
Do it!! Its not much diffrent then a "real" phone save the rediculosly lower cost. I get some odd things happen like a conection not going both ways ie. i can here you but you cant here me. But a simple redial solves that. Echos in some cell phones but that could be the cells problem I'm still looking in to that. Call centers think your in New Jersey, I love that. If your cable goes out so does your phone :( Those are the cons I've seen so far.

Pros:
CHEAP!!!!!!!! I cut my phone bill by more then half. And thats the $28 plan ($24 + other fees)
Free long distance any where in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico
NO TELLAMARKETERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Realy cheap International calls.
Cheap cheap cheap.

Hmm, sounds pretty good - I am not sure it would work out to be THAT much cheaper for me, since I currently do not have high speed internet, so I would have to get that as well.

I am intrigued by your no telemarketers point - how does that work? do they not just get your vonage number the same way they would get a landline?

jamiethearcher said:

I've had vonage for almost a year now - and I haven't had any significant problems with it.

If you're going to sign up - let me know - I could get you a free month :)

Vonage is a very good choice. It's biggest strength comes in a remote land line (useful for university students). I know a lot of students who have a Vonage line in their university town and another line that's set to their hometown, so they can make "local" calls in both areas.

I have no idea how the no tellamarketer thing works. All I know is that when I switched I went from 10 a day to 0 and its been 2+ years.

If you don't have HS net yet think of it like this.......HS net is about the same as land line and voip is 24 above that. Do some "fuzzy" math and your HS net costs $24 and vonage is the same as a traditional phone.

I thought internet calls were totally free worldwide?

Abaddon said:
I thought internet calls were totally free worldwide?
They are its when youu get off the net and onto standard phone lines you start to incure charges.

Never bothered to get a landline when I moved out, so cell for most short calls, and skype for long distance or when I know the other end is gonna queue me. Thank you Mr. Zennström:)

I've got Vonage (over a year now), and it works well for me, no complaints. I've never been unable to make a call (or get one, so far as I know), and unlimited-to-US/Canada is a pretty big plus for me, as way over half of my outbound phone calls are outside my area code. Audio quality is "good enough".

And yeah, I'm going to be setting up Skype on my home machine, I've got to op-test it for possible uses at work.

I have no idea how the no tellamarketer thing works. All I know is that when I switched I went from 10 a day to 0 and its been 2+ years.
You really got 10 telemmarket calls per day? I would go amok if they nerved me that hard. As far as I know its forbidden in europe and I'm even annoyed by 1 call every month...

Goa said:
You really got 10 telemmarket calls per day? I would go amok if they nerved me that hard. As far as I know its forbidden in europe and I'm even annoyed by 1 call every month...

Not just tellamarketers on the phone but also unsolicited faxes. I would come home and have a stack of 5-10 faxes waiting for me. Luckly it is illegal to send faxes unsolicited. But the hoops you have to go through are stupid. It takes paper work from 2 federal organizations. Still haven't gotten any word back on the complaints I filed.

Top Bottom