Slowing the pace

Fried Egg

Prince
I want to edit the rules so that there is a much slower rate of technological growth. This is because I fancy a game in which new techs do not flash by so fast that you barely get a chance to build a unit before it is already out of date.

But what is the best way to achieve this? I noticed that you can set the cost of each individual technology and I suppose I could just double each one to achieve my desired effect but that would be a pretty dull task. Is there not some global setting that can apply to all of them?

Actually, it would probably be a good idea to make the improvements cost more as well...

I don't remember which tab, but either the world tab or the difficulty level has a cost factor. Simply increase this factor and all the techs will be affected. Doesn't change the improvements, tho.

Pretty sure it's the world size.

Moderator Action: Thread moved to C&C

Each difficulty level has a cost factor but that only affects the AI (apparently). I don't just want to slow down the AI, but myself as well.

I see a "tech rate" for each world size...that would be the one I guess.

You can also change minimum and maximum numbers of turns needed to adquire a tech. If you raise the minimum that'd sure slow the pace.

machia said:
You can also change minimum and maximum numbers of turns needed to adquire a tech. If you raise the minimum that'd sure slow the pace.
Yeah, I noticed that but then everyone would just end up taking the same amount of time to advance a tech which would be pretty naff.

I went through and changed the settings for each tech manually. Very tedious, but it allowed me to apply a value to the individual techs in relation to each other that I thought made more sense than the originals. I worked out a system based on level of the tech in each age. if you could start reseach on that tech without gaining another in the age 1st, it was level 0. If you needed 1 other tech 1st, it was level 1, and so on till the last techs in that particular age was reached. I then incrementally increased the research cost per level of tech. I had increased the beaker costs gradually to where they were nearly double by the modern age. It worked in the ancient age very well, but for the later ages I underestimated the cost too much because I underestimated the effect of other changes I made in the game mechanics with the editor. I mention this because sometimes changes a person makes can have more wide reaching effects than is intended. It can take a few tries to get what you want sometimes.

In my own mod, I only jack up the cost of certain techs, ones which I feel are major turning points in a civ's history - iron working, monotheism, invention, gunpowder, industrialization, & computers.

Does anybody know the difference between the ADVANCE MULTIPLE in the game limits screen and the TECH COST slider in the scenario properties.
Can you juggle these two options to slow things easier do they coincide with each other? Mybe adjusting both of these is your anwser.

I meant the Game limit menu that can be activated on the same screen that you pick your Civ. You ll see the advance multiple choice listed there

the Game Limits menu dosn't have its own screen. Its a large menu that can be opened near the middle of the screen that lets you custimize before you load the game , (Not for Conquests Campaigns)

Does anyone no the difference? The advance multiple has a limit of 100 the tech rate has a limit off 1000, so they can't be the same
Thanks

edit: revised

Top Bottom