Small Form Factor

lutzj

The Last Thing You See
Well, the time has come for a new computer. I definitely want a SFF this time around (for various reasons), and have a 2000$ budget. I'm also willing to build my own if it's worth it. Any suggestions?

What are you looking to do with this computer?

I just threw together this SFF system:

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI mATX LGA775 G35 DDR2 PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI SATA2 RAID Sound HDMI VGA Motherboard

Arctic Cooling Arctic Fan 8025L Low Speed 80MM 1500RPM 18CFM 18DBA FDB x2

Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F Black SFF mATX Case 2X5.25 2X3.5INT No PS

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Dual Core Processor LGA775 2.2GHZ 800FSB 1MB Retail

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 EPP Dual Channel Memory Kit

System is for general internet/office use, so no video card needed, and I stuck in an old HDD and an OCZ PSU I had lying around. System could support a quad-core, 8GB of ram and an 8800 card though.

Take a look at some Shuttle barebones systems. You can throw in your own components, and it is still pretty affordable afaik.

I have had Shuttle, and I agree they're actually easier than the build your own from scratch, plus the high-end models are spiffy-looking. Perfect for the very first DIY project.

The downside is that they're usually proprietary mobos. I also didn't find my last one roomy enough for a decent video card. Ditto for the supplied PSU. I was pretty happy to have upgraded to a microATX case since then.

Ive read that their latest one manages to actually be quite roomy for its form-factor, allowing a full-size gfx card and even a nice cooler.

Which model? FWIW, my last Shuttle SFF was the SG33G5 Pro.

Top Bottom