Small Questions Thread

Could someone help me in making my own unit graphics for Civ 2?

Have you taken a look at some of the stickied graphic threads in here? At this point, we have an enormous collection of units for the entire history of mankind, and a good amount of fantasy ones as well. You can get lost for hours in those threads :)

With that said there's always "something" missing, but I've found that if you have a project folks have confidence will be completed, they're usually willing to do an odd or end for you if it's missing and unique.

What sort of units are you looking for? What is the project?

Have you taken a look at some of the stickied graphic threads in here? At this point, we have an enormous collection of units for the entire history of mankind, and a good amount of fantasy ones as well. You can get lost for hours in those threads :)

With that said there's always "something" missing, but I've found that if you have a project folks have confidence will be completed, they're usually willing to do an odd or end for you if it's missing and unique.

What sort of units are you looking for? What is the project?
I was thinking of either downloading or making some kobolds (possibly a D&D unit pack if it exists)

Here's a small question, and I wonder if it would involve Lua or if it could be accomplished through .txt modification. Has the "land carrier" problem ever been resolved? What I mean is... Moving a land unit with the "Carrier" function, so that it carries the air units as it moves? In my experiments and in other scenarios, I have seen land carriers successfully used as stopping points (like a moving airbase), but not move with air units in tow. Curious how this could be accomplished!

I do like the "k" ammo thought, but my goal here is to produce an air unit in a city, and then require it to be carried. I have an idea for an interesting workaround, but wanted to first check in if this was possible.

Here's a small question, and I wonder if it would involve Lua or if it could be accomplished through .txt modification. Has the "land carrier" problem ever been resolved? What I mean is... Moving a land unit with the "Carrier" function, so that it carries the air units as it moves? In my experiments and in other scenarios, I have seen land carriers successfully used as stopping points (like a moving airbase), but not move with air units in tow. Curious how this could be accomplished!

I do like the "k" ammo thought, but my goal here is to produce an air unit in a city, and then require it to be carried. I have an idea for an interesting workaround, but wanted to first check in if this was possible.
@SorFox wrote a module that does that:

@JPetroski has used it a couple times, including in Hinge of Fate, so there might be a better version of it around. I didn't integrate it into the Lua Scenario Template, since you need to have an isolated part of the map to store the transported units, and that was hard to do generically.

Integrating land/air transportation into the Lua Scenario Template is something I plan to do "soon." If you're working on a big project, then it will probably be part of the template by the time you finish. However, if you're doing something small or fast, it may not be done.

Here's my next small question. :)
I saw at some point, and searched the forums but couldn't find it, that someone had limited espionage options when a diplomat/spy went into a city tile. I know how to edit the wording of these options, but how would I disable some of the options altogether?
(I feel like I saw this in Pablotsuka's thread, but, I believe he created his own espionage system altogether, so I may be confused.)

Here's my next small question. :)
I saw at some point, and searched the forums but couldn't find it, that someone had limited espionage options when a diplomat/spy went into a city tile. I know how to edit the wording of these options, but how would I disable some of the options altogether?
(I feel like I saw this in Pablotsuka's thread, but, I believe he created his own espionage system altogether, so I may be confused.)
This came up very recently. Have a look here:

Ah, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for and what I had read previously. Cheers!

Hi all, I have two small-ish questions and I was wondering someone could point me in the right direction.

The first is about population. I want to change the population equation to much smaller numbers. Is anyone aware of how to achieve this? (for example, change 1 citizen is 10,000 to 100, 2 is 300 instead of 30k, etc.).

The second, then, is about the population box above cities. I have messed with the two dots in cities.bmp, but haven't found a way to completely hide the box for certain city styles. Maybe it's a good balance of art and "dot placement"? Any leads here? Thanks everyone.

The first is about population. I want to change the population equation to much smaller numbers. Is anyone aware of how to achieve this? (for example, change 1 citizen is 10,000 to 100, 2 is 300 instead of 30k, etc.).

IF this is possible it would be in labels.txt, but I don't think it is. I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help with the other one.

I appreciate this @JPetroski ... my solution was to change the word "people" to something a bit more inventive where the numbers made sense. Who knows! But it fits.

I'm at this point where, really, I'm testing my scenario's core principles out to make sure they are fun. That just means throwing some random stuff on a map w/the rules/properties I intend and seeing if the movement is interesting.

Hi everyone. I don't know if this is a Lua question or not, but I am currently creating a mod, and wondering how to adjust the starting date / turn:time parameters with a mod, if the player is starting a new game? I know how to do this in a scenario, but not in a mod situation. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Hi @Prof. Garfield , others.

I'm in the finishing stages of a mod that is not using Lua, and would like to incorporate Lua at this point, with a nearly-finished rules.txt, graphics, etc.

Much of the language surrounding Lua has to do with scenarios. When creating a mod, wherein the mod folder co-exists with folders like "SciFi" "Fantasy" "Original" etc., is there anything particular that should be done with the Lua Template folders and files?

For example, when I tried putting the 6 folders and other files into my "Mod" folder, I get a console message upon starting a new game, "failed to load events.lua." So I wonder if this is a quirk with it not being a scenario or in a scenario file. I haven't changed the files at all.

Much of the language surrounding Lua has to do with scenarios. When creating a mod, wherein the mod folder co-exists with folders like "SciFi" "Fantasy" "Original" etc., is there anything particular that should be done with the Lua Template folders and files?

For example, when I tried putting the 6 folders and other files into my "Mod" folder, I get a console message upon starting a new game, "failed to load events.lua." So I wonder if this is a quirk with it not being a scenario or in a scenario file. I haven't changed the files at all.
The lua template has some individual files that must be copied directly into the scenario folder:
consolidatedEvents.lua
discreteEvents.lua
events.lua
events.txt

Events.txt is empty, but it is still necessary. Some events don't work without it (or, at least they didn't in older versions of TOTPP, but I haven't checked this on 18.4).

I haven't worked with mods, but I imagine everything works exactly the same. The way Lua works is that the game reads events.lua in order to register code for events. All the other files are "required" (possibly indirectly) by events.lua, so as long as the game finds events.lua, everything else should follow.

The GitHub page has a readme. The first section explains how to copy the lua template into your scenario. Let me know if you still have trouble.

You might find this video useful for showing how to set up the files. I guess you'll have to start a new game, since this is a mod and not a scenario. Note that the version of the template is older, so some file names/locations have been changed. You can now also access the scripts from CTRL+SHIFT+F4.

Thanks Prof. Here's what I got:

Global variables are disabled
File number 1 event ending at line 26 successfully parsed. Event number is 1.
...op\ToT With Lua\Original\LuaCore\changeRules.lua:249: bad argument #1 to 'len' (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'string.len'
...op\ToT With Lua\Original\LuaCore\changeRules.lua:249: in function <...op\ToT With Lua\Original\LuaCore\changeRules.lua:247>
(...tail calls...)
...op\ToT With Lua\Original\LuaCore\changeRules.lua:546: in upvalue 'applyRuleRow'
...op\ToT With Lua\Original\LuaCore\changeRules.lua:821: in local 'newItemFn'
...op\ToT With Lua\Original\LuaCore\changeRules.lua:1149: in local 'createAuthoritativeDefaultRulesSubtable'
...op\ToT With Lua\Original\LuaCore\changeRules.lua:1332: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'require'
... With Lua\Original\MechanicsFiles\calculateCityYield.lua:17: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'require'
...strator\Desktop\ToT With Lua\Original\events.lua:192: in main chunk

My mod is taking the place of the "Original" game mode (for now). I placed the 6 folders and files into the Original folder, but it seems to run into this issue. I've had success with scenarios in your last version, so I'm wondering if it's the way I have the folders placed?

Thanks Prof. Here's what I got:

My mod is taking the place of the "Original" game mode (for now). I placed the 6 folders and files into the Original folder, but it seems to run into this issue. I've had success with scenarios in your last version, so I'm wondering if it's the way I have the folders placed?
Check your rules.txt file, in particular the UNITS_ADVANCED section. There is some problem when the changeRules module reads that section of the rules.txt.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to post for the next day or two.

Top Bottom