So ... how do you play Rome ?

tongfar

Chieftain
Hello there, I'm casual cbp prince player, and I usually play this game rather peacefully, I try to go tall, instead of going wide, but with Rome I have no clue what I am supposed to do.

Should I beeline Legion ? Should I go for early war ? I am really lost on how to maximize Cesar's kit

* Populate the capital as densely as you can
* Construct every building in the capital
* Prioritize Bronze and Iron Working so you can find and settle near Iron
* Take Progress so you get an even bigger bonus for both the # of cities and building construction %
* Train Legions, back them up with catapults and cavalry
* Conquer as much territory as you can right away
* Limit population growth in your new territory, construct buildings the capital already built
* Keep as many upgraded Legions as possible throughout the game

I have just one advice, go as wide as possible, either build your own cities or take from others.

Is going tradition as rome viable ?
Because if I follow the logic, the more prod I have in my capital, the easier I can chug Legions and buildings my other cities can benefit from...

Is going tradition as rome viable ?
Because if I follow the logic, the more prod I have in my capital, the easier I can chug Legions and buildings my other cities can benefit from...
Not really, no. Of the 3 starter policy trees, Tradition is the hardest to swing for Rome.

You get more food and more flat production points in your capital with Tradition, but the +10% production to buildings in the Progress tree will scale better in that restpect. Since you benefit most from going ultra-wide with Rome, the bonus % growth on empire is pretty wasted on you.

Most people advocate for Progress as optimal, but the newest patch makes Authority much more attractive. I might advocate for that instead.
- Rome now captures ALL buildings, including barracks and walls in captured cities. This means that if you finish the Authority tree, you can buy mercenaries in conquered cities that get the full benefit of a barracks in the city, and can move on the same turn.
- Rome can capture defensive buildings, meaning he is one of the best civs fro "bite and hold" strategies, where you go in on the city first, then defend it from the enemy army. Focus on rushing towards Statue of Zeus and Himeji Castle to make full use of this.
- Rome benefits a lot from the raw hammers from Authority's scaler
- Rome gets a lot of benefits from winning wars, but has very minimal bonuses to actual combat. Authority offers the tools that Rome needs to win wars.

Last note: When I play Rome, I play with the 4UC mod, which gives Rome an extra unique improvement, and a unique catapult replacement. As is Roman tradition, I tend to ignore mounted, and focus on getting a good starting infrastructure in my first 3 cities, then building into a swordsman/siege assault to wipe out at least 1 neighbor in late Classical.

Start with Mining&Bronze Working, rush Statue of Zeus, beeline for Iron Working, rush 6 legions (play with strategic resources setting, so you'll have iron guaranteed near your capital), find the nearest capital and conquer it. After you're done building Legions and you start moving them towards the capital, build 4 horsemen and send them to join the legions&spears. That's been my strategy and it often works, unless you happen upon the likes of Greece & Persia as your closest neighbours, in which case you change your strategy (one option is to quickly conquer 2-3 city states).

There are other options with less instant gratification, such as going Progress and going for the kill in the late classical era.

Well I thank you all for your useful advice, now I understand a bit better how I should swing that civ :)

Top Bottom