So I'm looking to buy a new computer...

Eli

Emperor
The last time I bought one was 6 years ago, so I can afford to make a few steps towards the high end. I also need all the peripherals.

What I need is a computer that will allow smooth work without upgrades for at least 2-3 years, a lot of storage space and good ergonomics. And by work I mean the usual internet/office work and some heavy duty MATLAB and other engineering software work (the latter is not as important).

So I'm willing to spend on a big and reliable hard drive, a high quality monitor, a lot of RAM and a good mouse&keyboard setup.

I can compromise on the video card and if necessary on the processor as well.

What do you recommend?

2 key questions -

1. How much $$$ can you spend?
2. Are you buying retai lor building your own?

Saying how much I'm willing to spend is problematic because there is a delta between prices in the US and Israel. In US prices I'm willing to reach an upper limit of about 700-800$, including a monitor.

I might build it myself and if not I'll find a relative or friend who'll do it.

you'll be buying a $600 or so pc because of the monitor.

best off goin with a pre-made PC or waiting for the 2nd line of i7 to come out

you'll be buying a $600 or so pc because of the monitor.

best off goin with a pre-made PC or waiting for the 2nd line of i7 to come out

there's no "high-quality" monitor for $100- $200, for that price you get low end stuff.

Really, $700-$800 doesn't buy high quality or decent computer. Assuming that you'll be happy with some of 22" variety (although personally they are low end for me thanks to inferior TN technology they use so I would pay probably $600 for monitor alone), that will be $250 leaving $550 for computer.

Now, there will be hard time to find something for $550 that does not have integrated graphics, but your luck may vary.

there's no "high-quality" monitor for $100- $200, for that price you get low end stuff.

Really, $700-$800 doesn't buy high quality or decent computer. Assuming that you'll be happy with some of 22" variety (although personally they are low end for me thanks to inferior TN technology they use so I would pay probably $600 for monitor alone), that will be $250 leaving $550 for computer.

Now, there will be hard time to find something for $550 that does not have integrated graphics, but your luck may vary.

you haven't followed the hardware scene past couple years have ya.

I bought a nice ViewSonic 22" for 200$.

Also, I can easily build a rig for 550$ thats got dedicated gfx and can play most games at least on low settings.

It would also be best if you build this yourself Eli because for that kind of budget, you'd get something significantly less than you should if you choose pre-built.

In fact, if you already have most of the peripherals ( Hard Drive, CD/DVD drives, mouse, keyboard, possibly Case) you would only need a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and gfx. Possibly a new PSU too.

3rd question if you are going retail. Does you're employer offer their employees a discount on purchasing computers?

Where I work at, I get a discount when purchasing Dell products and computers (Due because they buy them in bulk and pass on the discount to their employees)

Top Bottom