1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SO much gold!

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by choraltrickster, Apr 7, 2020.

1. choraltrickster

choraltrickster Chieftain

Playing my first real play-through of full VP. I'm playing on Prince after getting beating down in warfare descending from Immortal. The improved AI for combat is incredible. Learning all of the other changes is a steep curve, but one thing I am finding is that my gold yields are astroundingly high compared to BNW. Is this normal, and do you think gold yields are appropriately set? I know gold has been nerfed as you can't quick buy buildings and buy city state loyalty solely with gold, but it seems off that I am making +500 gold/turn on Turn 257 (Industrial Era, standard speed) and have 25,000 gold in my coffers. I'm not dominating in the game by any means, with a slim lead on the next two AIs. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

2. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

3. choraltrickster

Is difficulty why my gold is so high though?

4. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Because you don't spend it!
    You're playing a focused gold civ maybe.

Bromar1 likes this.
  5. 2506

2506 Chieftain

Going to King is probably not the answer to your question, especially when you said you're only ahead by a little in Industrial.

You basically asked two questions. One is how you wound up with so much gold, and the other is that you're making 500gpt. With regard to your gold stash, are your units upgraded? Your armed forces close to the supply cap? Invested in everything that could help you, from buildings to more workers?

As far as the 500gpt, do you have a high number of Wonders, buildings and TR's contributing to it? A huge empire?

And maybe most importantly regarding both questions, how are the successful AI doing in terms of gpt and their treasury compared to you?

6. choraltrickster

Thank-you both. Yes, I've upgraded my military completely. I checked a few autosaves to see where the gold came from. I steadily grew from 3000 and +200/turn on turn 180 to 20000 and +500/turn on turn 230. I'm playing Shoshone, so not a hugely focused economic civ, though I've noticed the bonus yields are making huge contributions--gold from citizen growth, gold form border expansion. I maxed Progress and have 3/5 policies in both Authority and Statecraft. I have 11 cities, but two AIs also have 10--(this is SO different than vanilla!) I really have no idea what I'm doing though, so I'm feeling like some of the economic effects are too strong, but I'll let experienced VP players weigh in. Maybe I just need to up the difficultly.

My military is has been completely upgraded and at capacity. As a vanilla BNW player, I feel like my empire and army are large, though my size and score are only moderately higher than the next couple of AIs.

Update, now turn 301, my economy has cooled to +150 with a couple AI's making a comparable +100/turn. I've got 37k gold though and have been quick-funding all building purchases.

Does anyone run a GotM for VP players? That'd probably be a great learning forum for me and others.

7. SilentReply

SilentReply Chieftain

Were you in a golden age? Are you selling strategic resources to the AI? Selling strategics is very profitable currently.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  8. Galbias

Galbias Prince

Numbers in general are a lot higher than in BNW, and with the way that the AI places variable value on a resource depending on how much they need it, it's definitely possible to get more (ie AI in BNW will always give you 7 gold for a luxury, but in VP they can give you anywhere from 2 to 40+ depending on how badly they want it).

9. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

BNW to VP is like comparing apples to refrigerators. I don't even remember what and how expansive the differences are.

Bromar1, Kim Dong Un and vyyt like this.
  10. vyyt

vyyt Deity

11. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Those numbers seem high to a new player, but if you use that gold for purchasing diplomats or upgrading units to industrial level, you'll burn your gold fast.

It's hard to know where that gold comes from, there's too many ways of acquiring it and many of them are instant bonuses. You can get big incomes from religion, trading, conquering cities and corporations. And if you don't have lots of maintenance in units, roads and buildings, then you get a high excess.

12. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

What are your religion bonus, religion buildings available? Cathedrals for instance can have a significant impact on your income, especially if playing wide.

13. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Honestly I'm curious as to what is going on in your game myself :). I suspect Cathedrals are in play if you are getting gold from border expansion. Post some screenshots? What luxury resource do you have a monopoly on? (Cotton, Silk, and Perfume all produce quite a bit of gold.)

14. choraltrickster

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  15. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

I notice some people's mods don't load in perfect numerical order. Does this pose issues later?

vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.
  16. andersw

andersw Emperor

Depends on civ, policy choices, how well the game goes, difficulty, religion, active trade deals and trade routes.
    500gpt is a lot and you likely would have less on a higher difficulty, more notable is that such a bank would get robbed (by spies) very often on higher difficulty.
    Then there is a difference where your gold come from, GPT is one thing, but you can have several other sources that provide a lot more than just the GPT.
    Btw when you say slim lead that could be misleading, how do your tech and policys compare to the AI? they can often keep up in tech but tend to fall behind in policys.

17. adan_eslavo

adan_eslavo Archmage of all Pixels Supporter

I had recenelty 1,5k Gold/Turn and amassed about 40k gold. I invested all what I can and always something left. I was one of two top civs on the map. Difficulty: Prince.

18. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Let me know if that is still the case by industrial. I find at that point my GPT plummets as the maintenance costs greatly increase.

tommytoxen likes this.
  19. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Warlord

I was about to say this.

Enjoy it while you can, it'll plummet ;)

I went from 1,000GPT, got embroiled in a costly and seemingly endless world war
    I'm currently bleeding money from my eyeballs at -270GPT

20. MontyJava

MontyJava Chieftain

Yeah, my 2nd to last game I was at like +350GPT in the Modern, and 20T later was building gold in every city to stay afloat. Sanctions did not help. I wasn't really aiming for a gold civ, and seemed to have constant happiness issues from poverty, but wild GPT swings are common later in the game.

And yeah, just wait until your maintenance goes up and upgrades start costing 100s of G and you need to do 40+ each era.