so PTW may not be worth the 30 dollars.....any worthy new game substitutes?

stalin006

Deity
i was wondering of C&C generals, or strategy gamess of taht kind, not many diplomacy, but is fun and u reallly use strategy, mmmh........Total war:Middle ages(or something like that?) i tried real war........but it was a dissapointment and returned ti and got civ3 instead..........any ideas for any posible games taht would be worth the buy instead of the already mass-hated PTW?

I like PTW. I've had fun in several multiplayer games, and the single-player enhancements are great. I certainly feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

If you want a hardcore strategy game, try a wargame like Matrix's "Uncommon Valor," set in the South Pacific, 1942-43.

I found PTW very interesting, fun and a good expansion! (better than most expansions out there) I just never play multiplayer, simple as that. C&C Generals looks pretty good but I wish there was more than just the Chinese, Americans and the ambigious 'terrorists', but then again it's to late to complain and it looks like a good game, but u'd have to wait and see for myself before I can pass judgement

It's worth $30 to me. The SP enhancements are good and I've got an interesting PBEM game going (okay, the first 20-30 turns were boring). I'm sure Firaxis will get internet MP working real soon.

As far as Medieval goes. I liked the combat but the campaign bored me to tears, but that just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

The one I'm looking forward to though (yes, I do like other games than Civ) is Hearts of Iron. This will be the mammoth WW2 strategy game I've been waiting for. Think Axis and Allies meets Europa Universalis and you'll be on the right track.

Total War: Medeivial whatever is OK, not that great. My friend has it, I've played several long games at his house. First of all, it doesn't even start on my computer, crashes in install. And his computer is older than mine! So that's one reason PTW is better than Total War, at least for me. I like the concept of the game, but unfortunately I miss many things about Civ. I want randomly generated maps! But unfortunately you're going to be playing on Europe forever. At first its cool, conquering Germany and Spain and England, etc. But then I want a random map.

My other gripe about Total War is that the same AIs always win. My friend discovered, without his intereference, the Golden Horde ALWAYS takes Russia, the Almohads always take Spain, Germany always takes Eastern Europe, etc. It gets boring in the endgame, always facing the same countries. Thats another advantage Civ3 has over Total War: every civ has an equal chance to win, and the map generator makes it even more fair. I was kind of disapointed in Total War.

One game to look out for is Age of Mythology. Its supposed to be GREAT! Although, I have one fear: do you think it will work on a Pentium 3, Windows ME, 127MB RAM? I'm starting to doubt it...:(

CG

Age of Mythology does look to be great,... though, if it wouldn't
work on your computer, it certainly wouldn't work on mine :(

::hope it would::

Originally posted by god_money
Age of Mythology does look to be great,... though, if it wouldn't
work on your computer, it certainly wouldn't work on mine :(

::hope it would::

Lets hope a major gaming website has system requirements. I'm heading over now. :)

I saw a preview of AoM way back, around last year, and well...I nearly died! It tops AoE in every category, IMO.

CG

For all of you who are interested, here are the mininum requirements, fresh from IGN:

P450Mhz
128MB RAM
16MB 3D Accelerator
1.5GB free disk space

I apparently just make it in, if you round my 127MB RAM to 128. I'll have to see about that 3D Accelerator, though...:(

CG

EDIT: Can someone help me try to find that 3D Accelerator? I don't know where to look, I've never even bothered...

I have Age of Mythology and it's good. The biggest problem is that "been there, done that" feeling to it. It doesn't break the standard RTS mold in any way. It follows in the footsteps of the previous "Age of ..." games. I like it, but then again the previous ones in this series have been my favorite RTS games. It is a very polished game.

Don't worry about the 3D accelerator, it's just a fancy way of saying a graphics card. I'd be willing to bet that you have a good enough one. I would, however, buy an extra 128 MB stick of RAM. It's cheap (most likely under $30), and it will do wonders to everything you do on your computer.

get Deus Ex. I'm not sure exactly how much it costs now, but its got MP and a reaaly great FPS single player thingy

Originally posted by ssmith619
Don't worry about the 3D accelerator, it's just a fancy way of saying a graphics card. I'd be willing to bet that you have a good enough one. I would, however, buy an extra 128 MB stick of RAM. It's cheap (most likely under $30), and it will do wonders to everything you do on your computer.

You try coaxing $30 out of my mom! Anyway, its good to hear, I'm pretty sure I have a good graphics card, I'll have to check. Hmm...if I say the extra RAM is for the good of the household...:mischief:

CG

128 mb of RAM is enough if you know how to tweak your system. My first suggestion would be to GET RID OF ME! Windows ME is such a resource hog, if you are experiencing any crashes / lockups I'd blame every one of them on ME. Borrow a copy of XP from a friend, 98 se, or Windows 2000, in that order, uninstall ME and never look back.

Next take a look at Cachemanager from downloads.com it is a great memory manager, really helps performance. And finally, dont let windows manage your swapfile. Change your swapifile to a minimum and maximum of 384 or 512 so it stays one size. This saves hard drive read writes and helps with that low RAM problem you had.

Bloatware is ridiculous. If I sat down and tweaked my computer for 15 minutes I could probably get it to boot in 30 seconds flat again running Windows XP. Right now it takes about 50 seconds because I havent dont maintenance in a while... My total system ram? 256 megs, generally on boot I have 202 megs free.

As for what to smend your monay more meaningfully, I would recommend Moonbase Commander ($20) and Heroes of Might and Magic Platinum Edition ($30). However, if you by any chance didn't get SMAC yet, for $10 it's the best-spent money...

As for what the future holds, Rise of Nations (by Brian Reynolds, the designer of SMAC and Civilization II) is scheduled for spring next year, and of course there's Master of Orion III coming later this month and Warlords IV, presumably before Christmas.

MTW is one of the greatest game of the year, and I've seen very different outcome, not always the same AI winning (in fact, I saw Spain conquering the whole Almohad, Egypt, Turks and Byzantine empires once).

AoM is crap. Boring. Really.

Deus Ex is really great. Still as good as when it came out. Still revolutionnary. The father of all the "infiltration" games. Get it if you don't have it (and it cost nearly nothing).

There are 2 games which are supposted to come out quite soon and should be ´worth buying (at least i will buy them):

Master of Orion 3
I think everyone has heard about this one ;)

UFO: Aftermath
I stumbled acros this one only a week ago and since I loved the original one I'll get this one :D

Medieval total war is a very good game and it has a turn based element. There are endless ways to take over the world and its so nice to see the enemy king fall to your pikes :D

no one talked about Rise of Nations? (it is a lot of time to wait for it, but still...) it's a very nice RTS game, with diplomacy and resources as in civ3, whit the playability of RTS's... and it giving each nation speaical things (like don't go to russia if you are not fast as the mongols, or the winter will kill you...)

Originally posted by warpstorm
It's worth $30 to me. The SP enhancements are good and I've got an interesting PBEM game going (okay, the first 20-30 turns were boring). I'm sure Firaxis will get internet MP working real soon.

As far as Medieval goes. I liked the combat but the campaign bored me to tears, but that just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

The one I'm looking forward to though (yes, I do like other games than Civ) is Hearts of Iron. This will be the mammoth WW2 strategy game I've been waiting for. Think Axis and Allies meets Europa Universalis and you'll be on the right track.

warpstorm where did you read about this "Hearts of Iron"? I'd like to read about it, it sounds like a game I'd really like.

How is total war: shogun? The original one. Is it worse or better than total war: medieval?

I suck too much to play quake 3, I've gotten board of Civ 3 quite a while ago (gasp!!!), I dont want to start D2 again b/c it takes too much time and seems to be just as hacked as ever.

Keep in mind I'm runing an old comp. P3 600 MHz and i have a voodoo card. So games like GTA 3 are out. I dont realy want to buy a new vid card anyways seeing as I can't realy afford it on my starving student budget, and i dont plan on playing games for too much longer. A nice $30 or lower game (ie bargain bin game) that will let me get my money's worth out of it would be nice.

Top Bottom