1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

So ... Unless I Can Get The Source Code, Is This The End, Again?

Discussion in 'Civ3 Future Development' started by Ozymandias, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Archivist, redux Supporter

... And I have simply been far too ill to "properly" attend to Old World :sad:

2. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

The end of what? It looks like lots of active progress is happening on the memory patch mods, and we've very recently discussed possible ways the patching may be controllable by in-BIQ data. If Qunitillus is on extended hiatus or we are otherwise unable to integrate his editor with the as-yet-unimplemented C3X BIQ-based controls, an additional helper program to inject the BIQ settings should be (famous last words) near-trivial. One extra tool for the mod publisher, but none beyond having C3X and the 'normal' mod files for the player.

The new-from-scratch effort has come to at least a pause if it ever had a true start, but although the three of us that seem particularly interested in the new-game-from-scratch are not producing right now, each of us has a history of repeatedly going away then coming back and resuming work on Civ3 programming projects. And each of the three of us have made at least some code commits.

Which code do you mean? The original Firaxis source code or something else?

3. Ozymandias

Amigo, I'm delighted by all that's going on! C3X Release 7 is truly amazing, but my original notion in kicking off this effort was indeed to build a full, "new-from-scratch effort" game, adding in bits like genuine AI-like behavior by the AI (I've written numerous posts on this.) I / "we" understood from the outset that there could be any number of possibly unrealistic paths to that end.

I remain of the opinion that a much smaller effort (meaning, smaller than the hundreds of thousands of lines of C code written for FreeCiv) could be devised, still using blocks of C code (or whatever language turned out to be the best "fit") with a relatively small number of OO templates.

As for the code in question - Yes, the Firaxis source code. I've reached out to Soren Johnson on the matter, and he did say that he would be contacting Firaxis about this, but he does seem to be quite busily, happily, and fruitfully involved with Old World.

4. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Carthago Creanda Est

No, not the end, just another beginning.

Summer has come and nearly gone so I hope we've all had a chance to get out for some fresh air while staying safe. It's gone very quiet here which wasn't my intention, but I had been laying low to see what would shake out of both Flintlock's C3X and the upcoming Godot 4.0. From what I've seen, positive but nothing totally unexpected on both fronts.

Now I'm on the cusp of another move (entirely voluntary this time, to a smaller town in central Texas where I'll continue to work from home and occasionally travel to the office) so I'm quite overwhelmed and not ready to resume just yet.

By October I expect I'll be settled in and have reclaimed some leisure time. I do intend to start working on "C7" in earnest along with whoever is interested, as a proper open source project.

Ozymandias and Puppeteer like this.
  5. Ozymandias

"Life is change." ( - I forget who) :goodjob:

:bounce: :cooool: