"some features only function if [religion] is your state religion"

Well, it so happened that I had just reached Ancient in my game, and so started to look more deeply into what religion(s) I wanted to beeline to. So thanks for the warning !
I always play with Choose Religion, which makes more sense for a "future knowledge" player anyways (in more than one way).

My idea as to how this *should* work, while being legible to the player :

A faith value, separate for state and all non-state religions.
Picking a state religion gives it +1 faith.
The current "religious disabling" option would give +1 state faith, -1 other faith.

Various civics and leader traits also would have an effect on this, for instance :

civics :
state church : +1 state faith
free church : +1 all faith
inquisitorial : +1 state faith, -1 other faith
antireligion : -1 faith, and -1 extra faith for state religion

leader traits : (probably only for the first levels ?)
pious : +1 state faith
spiritual : +1 all faith
zealous : +1 state faith, -1 other faith
anti-clerical : -1 faith, and -1 extra faith for state religion

Then various stuff gives bonuses and gets disabled depending on the faith for each religion :
at 0 faith buildings only give small "secular" bonuses (some culture and tourism I guess ?)
at 1 faith you start getting some interesting bonuses like happiness and the +1 yields per religious spread for shrines
at 2 faith more powerful bonuses like the free promotions get unlocked, &c.
at -1 faith religious buildings get disabled
at -2 faith you can build inquisitors and remove the religions that you have -2 (or more) faith with
(at -3 faith you can destroy holy cities ?)

Then the different faith values for each religion would proportionately affect diplomatic relations ?

(Fist draft, there might be some tweaks needed, for instance getting -2 for inquisitors might be a tad too hard ?)
Pretty close to that already. It's about permissiveness though. You have a society that either accepts all fully (but usually doesn't declare one above another), only accepts one, or accepts none. With the Ideas project it would get more involved.

As for 'martial arts', it is eventually something that should get a lot more detail than be just a religious based add-on. Yeah, it's not too modded at the moment but the grand plan was to make numerous kinds of martial arts and show how they interact against each other or against none. At the moment, the idea is pretty much just to keep it to the cultural boundaries by making it a religion only access. Religious disabling may play harshly into that, admittedly, but it would be too strong a modifying thing to apply to 'cultures', imbalancing a few over others, whereas in religions, there is already a great deal of expected power variation between them.

Last edited:
Well, it bothers me from both the roleplaying point of view, but also how the various religious buildings, especially wonders, would then end up in a completely different spot on the tech tree compared to when you got the religion.
This is what you get for overhauling the religions from placeholders to actual separate options, loool.

Pretty close to that already. It's about permissiveness though. You have a society that either accepts all fully (but usually doesn't declare one above another), only accepts one, or accepts none. With the Ideas project it would get more involved.
Gonna be interesting, I hope.
Really, I know I'm as repetitive as ALT, but this mod gets such funky ideas that no other mod (even those with magical wands equipment) ever had, lol.

Top Bottom