Some feedback about early game.

Cabeza2005

Chieftain
I am new to this mod and hardly played mods in Civ5, despite playing the game for hundreds of hours.

My favorite CIV 3 PTW MOD was DYP (Double your Pleasure) and my favorite CIV 4 BTS MOD was ROM (Rise of Mankind). The reason I loved both of them was that they added a lot of new technologies. For a while I was looking for some similar mod for CIV 5 BNW and last weekend I decided I will try CCTP (4.05 v3, downloaded on Oct 12th). Mainly because you have 450 techs but also because I played the original CCTP and CTP2 and enjoyed both.

Yesterday I went over the prehistory age on a standard sized Russia map and I noticed some game breaking mechanics. The difficulty was King.

I started by building Caveman (the only thing I could do) and found a lot of ruins. Some of these ruins gave me settlers, before I could even build settlers by my own, and I ended founding cities with them.
With these cities I spammed more Caveman and took most of the ruins on the map.

By the end of the Prehistoric age my score was around 6000 and the five AI opponents had scores around 1300. I had twelve cities and they were still only with one.

The game breaking mechanics are two:

1. I should not be able to receive settlers from ruins if the technology for such unit still does not exist. The same could be said about Scouts.

2. No idea if this is fixable but I felt that the AI did not really use the early caveman for exploration and therefore they took almost no ruins. In BNW un-modded games they are much better at it.

Some other notes.

- When you build a Shaman Hut not only the building is created but also a ranged unit (do not recall how it is named, something with Fire). I thought this was intended and the unit is the Shaman but did not see it on the building notes.

- There is a building named Uppi (or something like that). I was able to start building it before I actually got the technology that allows it.

- It will be nice to have a different icon to distinguish within the workers and the per-worker units.

I will restart, maybe increase the difficulty to Emperor or Immortal and avoid using the settlers from the ruins. This way I may have a fair challenge from the AI.

Other than these notes, I must say that in general I liked what I saw and the direction this mod is taking. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback.

1. There is no prerequest in the goody huts table that would allow a technology request for Settlers or Scouts.

2.The ai can explore better with Scouts, but since they are not avaible in the beginning, its known that the human got some advantages in this case.

There are still some misleading or missing text enries in this mod.

Its indended that the Shaman Hut grants a Shaman unit.

1. There is no prerequest in the goody huts table that would allow a technology request for Settlers or Scouts.

Thanks for your quick answer Gilgamesch.

I need a clarification on your first answer (quoted). If I understand correctly you are telling me that you cannot set a technology prerequisite to avoid settlers to be given by goody huts. In such case I would suggest to completely remove the Settlers as a goody hut reward. Specially knowing, as per your second answer, that the the HUMAN have an advantage using CaveMan in early game for exploration.

I have workarounds at my end (like playing without goody huts at all, or deleting settlers if I get them), but would be much better to see this addressed in future mod revisions. I enjoy Civ games the most when I am not leading the scoe; specially not at the early stage.

You can manually remove the Settlers from goody Huts.

Open CCTP/Handicap/CCTP_Decimatus.xml with a text editor.
Then search this
Spoiler :
<Row>
<HandicapType>HANDICAP_PRINCE</HandicapType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_SETTLER</GoodyType>
</Row>
<Row>
<HandicapType>HANDICAP_KING</HandicapType>
</Row>
<Row>
<HandicapType>HANDICAP_EMPEROR</HandicapType>
</Row>
<Row>
<HandicapType>HANDICAP_IMMORTAL</HandicapType>
</Row>
<Row>
<HandicapType>HANDICAP_DEITY</HandicapType>
</Row>

and remove this entry, this will erase the ability for free Settlers.

Perfect. I will do that and restart in Emperor or Immortal. Thanks.

You are welcome;)

Maybe Gyogen knows a lua work arround to create prerequests for goody huts, he is more familar with lua then me:mischief:

Thanks gyogen2. Will give it a try and if it is not working OK then I will go with Gilgamesch approach.

Also, goody hut won't switch to settler/scout until turn after you can build them.

I tried it yesterday on a standard sized Continents Plus, Emperor difficulty and I cleared all goody huts in my continent before having the required technologies for Scout and Settler. I can confirm that I did not receive any Scout or Settler, but I can also tell you that I did not receive any Caveman, which is the impression I got after seeing your LUA code.

I did however get many hostile Caveman (barbarian), so maybe the mod is working but it is replacing a player unit with a barbarian? In any case, I am happy with the outcome as too many Caveman affect my gold and production negatively.

I was not able to take an advantage in front of the AI until I could build settlers myself or get them through policies, which is a good thing.

Guys, I am having a CTD in early ancient age. Tried four times and got it every time, on the same spot. I will post the data here (as a reminder I am on 4.05 v3, downloaded on Oct 11th) but if you prefer that I post it on the play-testing thread then let me know and I will do so.

Basically I reach a situation that upon clicking on next turn a few secs later I get a CTD.

This are the logs:

database: http://pastebin.com/Az0x4vGX
lua: http://pastebin.com/HJeQdUtm
xml: http://pastebin.com/Zjy4zqqR

The only loaded mods are the CCTP build I mentioned before, the Whowards DLL v63 (the normal version, not the extended one) and the small mod you created for me in this thread.

If needed I can provide the savefile right before I get the CTD.

Guys, I am having a CTD in early ancient age. Tried four times and got it every time, on the same spot. I will post the data here (as a reminder I am on 4.05 v3, downloaded on Oct 11th) but if you prefer that I post it on the play-testing thread then let me know and I will do so.

Basically I reach a situation that upon clicking on next turn a few secs later I get a CTD.

This are the logs:

database: http://pastebin.com/Az0x4vGX
lua: http://pastebin.com/HJeQdUtm
xml: http://pastebin.com/Zjy4zqqR

The only loaded mods are the CCTP build I mentioned before, the Whowards DLL v63 (the normal version, not the extended one) and the small mod you created for me in this thread.

If needed I can provide the savefile right before I get the CTD.

The logs don't show any relevant errors, so could you post the save. There has been an elusive bug that causes CTDs, maybe with enough save files, I can find the common thread.

Top Bottom