[BERT] Some Praise for BERT

Jkchart

Emperor
I recently got back into BERT because I really like the atmosphere, the affinities, and the idea of colonizing a new planet. I get some people don't like that it isn't Alpha Centauri, but I really adore this game.

My latest game saw me playing Franco-Iberia. The early and middle portions of the game saw a rivalry with PAC that resulted in four wars and the destruction of PAC's colony. Simple border disputes between two fellow Purity nations led to arms races, border clashes, the burning of towns in revenge for lives lost, and massive surprise offensives.

What really sold me again on the game was the end game. You see, I created the Exodus Gate, and of the five players remaining, I was the most powerful, followed closely by a very aggressive Brasilia (who had conquered Al Falah and probably Chungsu). Brasilia and the NSA were my allies, but with one important kink - both were Harmony oriented. I received Communiques from both that we were going to repeat the Great Mistake by letting Earthling settlers come to the new world, which resulted in a bloody surprise offensive by Brasilia on my East, in captured PAC territory.

While I was able to repair my relationship with the NSA with agreements and maintain our alliance, I was locked in a miasma-covered-forest war that would last for the rest of the game. While I was eventually able to push through swarms of Xeno Cavalry, Immortals, and Xeno Swarms in the North, I had started a second offensive in the South across the large center Ocean in our Pangea with LEV weapons, punishers, and battlesuits. We were able to capture a large amount of Xenomass wells to prevent their use by the Brasilians and took another couple of cities. But of course, I was also at war with the rest of the world minus the NSA.

The Brasiliens, INTEGR, and African Union were locked in war (with the latter two allied to each other), and a war declared by the African Union on the NSA resulted in me declaring war on the AU (who had also been an Ally) and INTEGR declaring war on me. The chaos resulted in the same cities changing hands between the Brasiliens and the INTEGER-AU alliance, with smaller skirmishes between myself and the AU, and the NSA fighting against INTEGER primarily from what I remember.

So, as Earthling settlements were established and before the Progenitors were contacted by the African Union, I thought a a lot about those Communiques I received before the last few dozen turns of trying to place Earthling Settlers.

In my quest to save humanity and preserve it, had I actually brought about the same conflicts, bickering, and disputes that will lead to the death of another world? The question really compels me and makes me want to take one more turn.

(Sidenote: I would totally take a remaster and some surprise DLC with a few extra sponsors and map scripts - I know we won't get it, but I would have loved this game to get a bit more support).

Yep. Be sure you use the Awesome Ruins and Pods mod. It fixes many of the quests and makes rewards go to the closest city instead of all to the capital. It's the only mod I see necessary to use.

Yep. Be sure you use the Awesome Ruins and Pods mod. It fixes many of the quests and makes rewards go to the closest city instead of all to the capital. It's the only mod I see necessary to use.
Thank you! I’ll have to grab that one

I use several mods, one of which is the Awesome Pods and Ruins. Some just add extra units and some can change game play. Ryka has one that is almost a new DLC, but I don't use it. I would suggest that you try several mods and use the ones you like.

I'm also enjoying BERT a lot. I like the uncertainty that the end game brings -- two somebodies will always declare on you, but which ones? Purity victories are a little more challenging to me, since I tend to pack my cities closer together. If I'm going for Purity, I have to remember to leave space for the settlers.

I'm trying to get a few more Steam achievements before I use Awesome Pods and Ruins regularly. I've won with each sponsor, so I'm cycling through again to win with all of them trying to beat my personal bests.

Among the reasons I like BERT ... more than Civ5 itself ... is that the affinities let me build and grow my way out of the unhealthiness hole that I can get into as my early expansion goes on (turns 80-180). I first played Civ 2 and Civ 3, so my idea of an "empire" starts with ~6 cities plus whatever cities I can conquer. None of this "4 cities for the free buildings" model that Vanilla and G&K imposed. Once I have improved my tiles, grown my cities, I love getting my units to level 3 so they have hover ability. I love searching all the corners of the map to find the pods, quest sites, and progenitor ruins.

Last edited:
I'm also enjoying BERT a lot. I like the uncertainty that the end game brings -- two somebodies will always declare on you, but which ones? Purity victories are a little more challenging to me, since I tend to pack my cities closer together. If I'm going for Purity, I have to remember to leave space for the settlers.

I'm trying to get a few more Steam achievements before I use Awesome Pods and Ruins regularly. I've won with each sponsor, so I'm cycling through again to win with all of them trying to beat my personal bests.

Among the reasons I like BERT ... more than Civ5 itself ... is that the affinities let me build and grow my way out of the unhappiness hole that I can get into as my early expansion goes on (turns 80-180). I first played Civ 2 and Civ 3, so my idea of an "empire" starts with ~6 cities plus whatever cities I can conquer. None of this "4 cities for the free buildings" model that Vanilla and G&K imposed. Once I have improved my tiles, grown my cities, I love getting my units to level 3 so they have hover ability. I love searching all the corners of the map to find the pods, quest sites, and progenitor ruins.
I also actually think BERT is in many ways a better game (if less polished) than Civ5 and the Affinities are part of that reason. It also helps that health isn't as railroady as the global happiness mechanic which is my single biggest issue with 5.

Top Bottom