Songs of Conquest (Heroes of Might & Magic like game)

Ita Bear

Warlord
Hello folks,
Songs of Conquest is a HoMM inspired strategy/adventure game played on a large world map. It has good reviews on Steam and reviewers praise its gameplay, visuals and campaigns. Does anyone have any experience of this game? Is it suited for Civilization fans such as ourselves? Let us know what you think.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

It's funny how we're getting all these similarly named HoMM like games coming out atm (eg Silence of the Siren and Songs of Silence lol). I don't think my old computer can run it very well so I haven't played it yet, and I'm not really a early access kinda guy (prefer finished/polished products). However anyone who's followed my work in the Civ2 forums on the Heroes of Might & Magic 2 mod knows I'm a big HoMM fan and am always on the look out for similar games so I'm very much looking forward to this one! I wishlisted it a while ago and have been following their dev diary videos. :)

When I fist saw the game I wasn't blown away by the screenshots and was worried their pixel art style had made things not as good as it could be, however once I saw videos of the game in motion with every animating and all the gorgeous colour usage I fell in love with their style. I quite like these hybrid 2D-3D retro style games that have 2D retro art mixed with coloured lighting placed in a 3D world with a fixed camera perspective to create a sort of colourful retro 'parallax scrolling' effect that really brings the world to life. Very nice!

Here's some info if people haven't seen it yet...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/867210/Songs_of_Conquest/

Last edited:
Songs of Conquest is still in early access however they've continued to work away with patches and new features including a better map editor. Now they've released a roadmap showing all the final stuff they plan to do between now and the full release in Q1 2024!

1695724325141.png

Sadly the full release in Q1 2024 hasn't quite worked out but apparently it should be coming pretty soon. Some of the updates over the last 6months have been pretty cool. Old campaign overhauls, new campaigns, maps, graphics, even a new main menu and GUI overhaul to support steam deck, new castle siege combat, and many AI improvements.

Beautiful...

Last edited:
It's a fun game, but doesn't quite scratch the same itch as HOMM for me. What i enjoy about HOMM (especially 3) is that you can chain your army between heroes. This allows you to cover a lot of ground and complete several objectives in a single turn. Logistics are still important in SoC, but don't have the same potential of snowballing you towards victory.

Top Bottom