Space Armarda; Testing and Modmaking #1

Well, I do currently have a problem that all the static graphics are created by me, so thay all have a similar look (I was a bit of a rush).
The mod would certainly benefit from some static graphics like space stations (cities), outposts, colonies, buildings & wonders, goody huts etc...

Also when the next step begins (making the conquests version) There is going to be a need for more units, especialy as I realy want to add two alien civs, who will both have very few unit types, but will not share any with the human civs...

Any help would be very valuable however. :)

One last preview before tommorow.
The mod is pretty much finished, I've added three new units, some new resources (you can maybe spot the "Icy moon" around jupiter in the bottom left) and adjusted the roads so now you can actualy see where they go...

Attachments

• system.gif
    system.gif
    152 KB · Views: 155
Smoking mirror said:
Coming this week! Beta test version...

Work is proceeding apace on a beta test version. Should be finished by the time I move on sunday. I'm making it with Play The World, which will then be upgraded when I finaly get hold of conquests again.

Things that will be in the PTW version;
#1 Two eras, The Excelarando, and The Disporia. Later ages will be in the conquests version, such as The Conflict and The Consolidation...
#2 A large number of ships, both land units and deep space star ships for transporting between systems. There will be no air units at this point, and no faster than light ships.
#3 Techs & Icons for the first two Eras. I've simply followed the standard tech tree layout at this point, with a simple format of substitution.
#4 A map made up of nearby stars, roughly 15-19 light years away from earth. With correct star magnitudes and planets picked to be as acurate as is possible with no actual data. :)
#5 A finished terrain graphics set.
#6 A set of city improvements and a few wonders.

Each Star system will have a Star resource which enables me to set the food, shield and trade value to represent the absolute magnitude of each star, and allows the player to navigate around the systems. There will also be a number of unique planet resources allowing the building of specific wonders and improvements and, in the conquests version allows the production of treasure spawning improvements.

I'm going to be adjusting the Stats of the units to make sure that the eras have a certain character, for instance during the first era there will be plenty of missiles, stong defensive units and weak attackers. The only way to take enemy cities will be to subject them to a devestating barage of missile attack while they attmept to do the same thing to you. This means that anyone who tries to win through military victory in the first era must be prepared to suffer huge damage to thier infrastructre.
During the second era Attacking units will improve greatly, but will not be transportable between systems. This means that individual systems will quicky come under single rulership, but interstellar wars will not begin to happen untill the third era. Victory in the Beta test version therefore will be down to who can grab the most systems early on, and then claim them for thier civ. Although I may experiment with adding some victory point locations.

I still have a number of things left to make such as an early starship and some terrain buildings. But it should be finished soon.
Here's an update of the map, I'm using a huge map, 256X256 which allows a fair few more cities than my first version and leaves room for plenty of expansion;

Excellent mod! Good to see you're working on this agian. :goodjob:

Smoking mirror said:
Don't you mean Hydrogen 3, it's used as a fuel for fusion reactors, I didn't know Helium could be used instead?

Call Hydrogen-3 Tritium (sounds cooler ;) ).

Deuterium/Helium-3 fusion is in theory better than Tritium/deuterium or Tritium/Tritium as it allows the use of electrostatic confinement, rather than needing magnets to hold the reaction, greatly reducing the complexity of fusion reactor required, as well as eliminating the production of high-level radioactive waste (gives He2 ash).

Also He3 is much rarer - bulk quanities can probably only be found on gas giants (or the moon for some reason), so it may be better to use as a restricted resource.

Top Bottom