[C3C] Space race inconsistencies

Fergei

Warlord
I'm having two main problems with this. I'm playing vanilla C3C with a modified ruleset.

Problem one:
Some games I can see the space ship progress screen (F9?) but in those instances I don't get the victory video (no big deal)..

Other games (almost all the time now) I cannot see the space ship progress screen but the video works. So I'm reliant on the victory screen to see the progress of rivals and this works fine, but is a little sad to rely on.

Problem two:
In my most recent game the AI, for the first time, didnt even show up as a 'nearest rival' in the space race, despite four of the Ai civs being advanced enough (one far more advanced than I was), far larger and more powerful and having periods of not being at war during the very lengthy space race. Coincidentally or not this is the only time I've space raced on a standard map rather than a large one. I can't believe the AI wasn't building space parts as they had huge empires and abundant resources.

These variations cannot be explained by tweaks I've made to the space rules as I hadn't made any before this most recent game.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what might be going on? Also, to help me test the issue should I be able to see the space race screen throughout the game or only after the Apollo programme?

PS off topic - I didn't know losing my capital destroys your spaceship. I was invaded with about 20 turns to go and was so far behind I had minimal military beyond basic defensive units as everything was prioritised for the space race. It was complete carnage and i lost the game when I fell into anarchy two turns from space victory (as a result of losing over half my empire), production was slowed by anarchy and my capital fell three turns before the final component would have been built under anarchy. An epic nail biter. Now I know better I would protect my capital just as much as the city building the last module and let every other city burn if need be.

So the disappearance of the Spaceship screen (f10) does appear completely linked to whether or not you change the default 1x Part 1 etc to multiple versions of the same part being required. The rest is a work on progress in diagnosing. Not a big issue as I think in Civ1 you couldn't track the spaceship progress of rivals and I might even prefer it that way.

All I could find was this unelaborated upon comment, buried deep in an :old: thread:

"Some graphics configurations cannot handle the Space Victory Progress Screen (F10), so I've included a second .biq file with that victory disabled. Things such as a non-standard resolution or dual monitor setup will possibly cause a game freeze."

I hope that this can at least begin to help.

Top Bottom